Honda PCX off-road? How much punishment can it take?

jharr

I know there are a lot of happy PCX riders out there.

Just wondering how many take it off-road and what impact that has had on the bike?

What do I mean by off-road? Rutted dirt roads and tracks, decent potholes, grades over 10%. Able to be ridden relatively easily by a Honda Wave with road tires.

Thanks

I have often seen PCX's fitted with knobblies running around Bo Din. The owners seem happy with them

I have also seen Thais with 1/2 inch tires and no lights on their bikes racing down the road 3 on a bike. Doesn't mean its a good idea.

• Like 1

I have an extra set of wheels mounted with knobby tires that I put on my Honda Spacy during the rainy season and it works quite well and is actually a lot of fun. I would think that a PCX should be fine if you just take it easy and don't blast around like it's some kind of a motocross bike.

post-41898-0-32007000-1425857750_thumb.j

Totally the wrong bike for that get an enduro or a D tracker like Dilligad mentioned. That is as ridiculous as taking my ER6n to a motocross event in an arena. Just don't do it. At least it is not Chinese & all the parts wont fall off but you will be replacing a lot of parts & faring parts for what. Pony up & get an enduro if you want to off road. The highways & roadways are hard enough on any street bike let alone a scooter. Get a nice Enduro if you want to be able to punish the ride & not be walking home pushing whats left of the PCX. That is the last type of scooter I think I would do that with. I used one for 3 months & it is NOT a dirtbike by no means!

Edited by Beardog

Thank you for the thoughts everyone.

Hat off to Sydneycraig for riding a PCX down to Huay Tung Tao, I've ridden that on a Honda Wave.

Thanks Issanman for the photo and suggestion.

Not a lot of replies from PCX riders. I'm guessing that perhaps many of them don't follow the bike forum and those that do don't want to engage with a lunatic.

I'm leaning towards flagging the PCX and going with a Honda Wave with a suspension upgrade and dual purpose tires. That seems to be the most popular choice with the locals in the north.

• Like 2

The Wave is a good choice. I see some with fat tires and a rear disc brake.

Another option, the Honda Cub, is bulletproof.

Did you ever see the Ed March videos on youtube?

Malaysia to England, Arctic Circle, Alaska to South America on a C-90.

Thank you for the thoughts everyone.

Hat off to Sydneycraig for riding a PCX down to Huay Tung Tao, I've ridden that on a Honda Wave.

Thanks Issanman for the photo and suggestion.

Not a lot of replies from PCX riders. I'm guessing that perhaps many of them don't follow the bike forum and those that do don't want to engage with a lunatic.

I'm leaning towards flagging the PCX and going with a Honda Wave with a suspension upgrade and dual purpose tires. That seems to be the most popular choice with the locals in the north.

One of my bikes is a PCX (other is a 750/4) so I was speaking from personal experience.

I've seen Waves with fatter tires in the north, but no rear disc (which would be great). I read somewhere that a conversion to disc is north of ฿6,000. I'd probably put money into tires and firmer rear suspension first. I saw the Club in the Arctic. Impressive.

After riding a new-ish Wave in steep country two up I wondered about gearing it a bit lower. I don't care about the top end, but having the pillion having to get off and occasionally both of us getting off on a steep climb is another matter (we're both a bit heavier than your average local). I've only come across comments about Thais gearing up for a higher top end, not the other way. Any thoughts on gearing down? Weight loss for the rider and pillion are already under serious consideration.

If money and hassles were no bother I'd have a CRF and a PCX. Later in the year I'm keen to ride in Laos and the Wave looks the best, though under-powered, compromise option for owning one bike. Some inspiration from this blog, http://unleashyouradventure.com/what-the-honda-wave-can-handle-or-laos-off-road-adventure-time/

My PCX150 is to low riding on the wifes farms....except for the mango orchard where it doesn't scrap it's gut on every hump.

I started modding the Smash for farm use but I haven't raised the suspension yet....but I will!

post-63954-0-68252600-1425997086_thumb.jpost-63954-0-54283300-1425997269_thumb.j

My PCX150 is to low riding on the wifes farms....except for the mango orchard where it doesn't scrap it's gut on every hump.

I started modding the Smash for farm use but I haven't raised the suspension yet....but I will!

attachicon.gif008.JPGattachicon.gifP9270007.JPG

@BJS

Interesting lights mounted on the basket. Are they turn signals are extra lights for the road?

David