Internet Banking

I've had a savings account with Bangkok Bank for close to 10 years, with regular monthly income transfered from the UK of around 40-44,000 Baht, depending on the exchange rate.

I'd love to do internet banking with them, but they say I can't as I need a work permit. Can anyone understand the logic of this, or is it simply TIT? I don't have a work permit because I don't work in Thailand, just live here and work overseas as a journalist several months of the year.

On a similar note, I have a Thai American Express card, given to me on the basis of my gold membership level with Thai Airlines (no work permit required!). It was also linked with Dusit, and when that agreement expired they changed my card to a Platinum level credit card. I have no problem with that.

But, again, I wanted to be able to check my account on line, and, incredibly, they have not got a system set up for the credit cards and I have to call them and request the information by fax. :o Thailand truly is years behind in e-commerce.

Bangkok Bank does indeed require a work permit for the Internet Banking and it is enforced. The only reason I can think of is an attempt to make sure people are legitimate residents and not trying to use Thai banks from offshore for other purposes. I may not agree with their logic, but I can see how they arrived at it.

TH

Get another bank. I opened one with KTB but they would only give me a passbook account (ie no ATM card) because of no work permit, but I did get Internet access no problems.

Subsequently opened an account at Bank of Ayudhya and got internet banking, atm card, the works! No problem.

Shop around, everywhere seems to have different rules.

I have never had any problems opening accounts with K bank and getting ATM cards. I also used have accounts with Bangkok Bank and got atm cards but that was some time back. All they need is your passport - for most, but not all branches I might add.

My Amex story is truly TIT. I held a gold card for Amex UK for many years and when I retired and came to live in Thailand I tried to have it transferred over here. I had all kinds of problems and it was only with the intervention of the the then Amex Thailand CEO that I eventually got it issued. I should add that I still had to provide deatils of my employer back in the UK as technically I was still on their payroll.

"Strange to relate, Amex Thailand do have a website, and I can acceess my card account online, and it is always up to date.

About 3 months ago Amex offered me a Thai Platinmum card at no extra cost, which would run alongside my gold card. I filled in a form which included me saying that I ws retired and sent it off. I half expected my whole account to be cancelled as some of my friends have had their cards cancelled when they stopped work. I didn't really mind as I only use it for conveninec and still hold "several overseas cards for use on internet and travelling overseas.

To my surprise, I have recieved the card and I have a 2million baht credit limit! And I don't even work!

I don't often bother to look at my account on line, but after reading this thread I checked it to see if my platimum card could be accessed. Of course the answer is no - Gold card yes, platinum , no.

I just called them and they confirmed the "technicians are still working on it".

"When will they finish?"

" Don't know."

"A long time?"

"Yes, a very long time." (in other words - never)

TIT in all it's glory - especially the 2 million baht credit limit for an out of work, no work permit farang :o

Siam Commercial is indeed very easy to deal with ... passport will get you an ATM card and internet banking

...and you don't even always have to go to the big city branches. In our little podunky Isaan town, Siam Commercial set me up with internet banking and ATM card on the spot (using my passport). At the time, I was really raking in the dough: 17,000B/month. :o

Edited by toptuan

I agree SCB very helpful just go into your local branch if you not got an account no problem and internet banking can be sorted at the same time,

i only took my passport in and the missus ha ha I got 2 accounts with them.

macb

Anyone aware of Bank of America branches? I know there is one in BKK, but I think there are a couple others.

Being a American that would certainly help in transfers and, I am sure, allow internet banking.

Edited by migrant

Funny how the Thai banks put such an emphasis on having a work permit.

I retired very early, and my (unearned) income is very much more than most

of my mates who work here. When working in the oil patch

I would have been pist if my employers had asked me to go and

work in Thailand ... Arrrg ... taxes ... no way !

Anyway SCB and Kasikorn have always been good in my opinion,

regardless of not having a work permit. :o

Naka.

3 years with Bangkok Bank, no way would they give me internet banking.

Openned an account at SCB got it within the hour.

Both in Uttaradit

It works and is easy to use but you must pre-register the names and accounts you want to transfer funds to and this can only be done at the branch itself.

Edited by Krub