Going to muang Phrae

sbaker8688

Never been, must travel there later this week (from Chiangmai). Didn't see a "Phrae" subforum so I figured this was the best place to post.

I guess I have 2 questions.

1) What are some good options for traveling there from CM? I was thinking about renting a car. It is more expensive than a bus, of course, but I have no idea how much "in the boonies" Phrae is, whether there is good english spoken, etc. I'd hate to get there and then try to ask for a taxi to a hotel and them not understand me. Or worse, just ignore the farang because they don't speak english well. By the way... does the train go there?

2) What are some good hotel options? I don't need the Ritz-Carlton, just some place clean, with an AC, and low noise level. Internet would be a nice plus, but I'm not expecting it or anything.

Do enough farangs travel there so that a farang isn't seen as an "alien" so to speak? I just have no idea about the place.

Thanks.

My Mrs is from Phrae.

It's a good job you don't want the Ritz Carlton because you haven't got a hope in hell of finding one in Phrae

I've stayed at the Namthong Phrae Hotel before, which is very affordable, has free Wi-Fi, which was quite good as I remember and the staff were friendly (and could speak a bit of English)

There aren't too many farangs in Phrae, it's very quiet, with not too much going on. If you're worried about strange looks, you could well end up getting some there ( i do but perhaps that's just me!)

What I will say though is that parts of Phrae are stunning, pretty much unspoilt and along with its neighbouring province of Nan are perhaps one of only a few such places left in Thailand if you want to experience the Thailand of yester year. Just don't go there expecting to eat an English breakfast, whilst listening to Hotel California in some 'hello welcome' bar.

For nightlife, there is like a strip of Thai style bars, a nightclub and karaoke joints just next to the bus station that is popular with younger people. And there is also quite a good but small bar with live music near the hotel I linked above (come out of the road to the hotel and turn right, if I remember)

The Gingerbread House Cafe is also worth a visit, they do good coffee and a Thai interpretation of a bit of farang food.

I live in the south, so I can't help you with regards to travelling to Phrae from Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

I like Phrae. This is not the best time to visit though, it also gets quite hazy in March.

And I would look at flying into Nan and renting a car from there. Closer than Chiang Mai. Or Loei even. (Not closer, but also an interesting are to viist, adn it's an interesting drive cutting through to Phrae.)

The train does get close (Den Chai) but trains of course take forever to get anywhere.

• Like 1

I like Phrae. This is not the best time to visit though, it also gets quite hazy in March.

And I would look at flying into Nan and renting a car from there. Closer than Chiang Mai. Or Loei even. (Not closer, but also an interesting are to viist, adn it's an interesting drive cutting through to Phrae.)

The train does get close (Den Chai) but trains of course take forever to get anywhere.

Flying. cheesy.gif Lazy.tongue.png Drive it and see the country side Your not going to see nothing from the air.saai.gif About 200 km from Chiang Mai and Phrase make some great Lao Khao.drunk.gif

• Like 1

If you drive you go through Den Chai and along with Phrae which have some fantastic wood furniture factories. Also you have to pass through Lampang which have some fantastic ceramic factories and outlets.

Edited by khwaibah

Phrae is a really nice town, with very friendly and helpful people, though as stated above not a lot to do there. Stayed at the Namthong Phrae Hotel which is reasonable and was going through a facelift when we were there a few months ago. Some nice restaurants in the street outside the hotel.

The one thing we noticed was how quiet and clean the place was. There is a really interesting old wood house that is open to the public, well worth a look as is the Wat next door. Sorry can't remember the name of the house.

I live nearby. Alot has been built recently and alot of nice places to eat. I'd recommend staying at markfour place next to markfour. Markfour has some ok restaurants and an outside place to drinkand listen to bands at night. Also serves some western beers. I know of hoegarden and a few others. Also there is now a tawan daeng on the southern edge of town. If you go to wat pra cho hae and follow the road to the left up the mmountain there are alot of nice restaurants on the river with a great view and a place to dip your feet while drinking a beer. Some even setup tables in the river.

• Like 1

Oh.... I forgot about the vonburi house and they have a little night market there on saturdays. The vongburi house is the house of the old rulers of phrae I think. They also serve some decent khao soi. Theres also some other nice restaurants around but theyre scattered.

• Like 1

Its well known for its residential teak houses,wonder about and you will see many fine designs.

Nice,friendly locals,perhaps one of the last places in Thailand where a Farang may receive a genuine Wai.

Also,on a darker note...if you happen to be in need of a "hit-man"...this is the place, 'guns for hire'. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Its well known for its residential teak houses,wonder about and you will see many fine designs.

Nice,friendly locals,perhaps one of the last places in Thailand where a Farang may receive a genuine Wai.

Also,on a darker note...if you happen to be in need of a "hit-man"...this is the place, 'guns for hire'. wai2.gif

Don't have togo that far just check out the bars on Loi Kroh.cheesy.gif

Getting to Phrae is straight forward. Take the main Hwy 11 to Lamphun and through Lampang and then towards Den Chai. After Lampang you will go up some high hills and then descend. Near the bottom of the main descent, well before Den Chai, turn left on the 1023 towards Long. a well marked road. That road will take you through Long and into Phrae. Use Google maps or another map to locate your preferred hotel within Phrae.

And add me to the list of people who enjoy Phrae. For a nice morning drive take the 4016 west of the Yom River and head north towards the 103. Or head east on the 1024.

At Den Chai there is a traffic light at the intersection of highway 11 and highway 101. Highway 11 goes right YOU need to go straight on highway 101 for Phrae. At this intersection if you do turn right on 11 there are some fantastic wood factories just on your left hand side where you see a Shell Gas Station.

At Den Chai there is a traffic light at the intersection of highway 11 and highway 101. Highway 11 goes right YOU need to go straight on highway 101 for Phrae. At this intersection if you do turn right on 11 there are some fantastic wood factories just on your left hand side where you see a Shell Gas Station.

There's one particularly interesting shop which rebuilds old furniture with genuine antique materials. Also, if you want to be your own hitman, there are rows of shops along this road which sell knives, parangs, and every kind of metal instrument, preferably sharp.

But the advice to go through Long is much better. You get off the main road quicker.... and it takes you straight into Phrae.