car rental

retoohs

Where can I rent a car cheap in Chiang Mai? Doesn't need to be nee just reliable. If I can drop it off in Chiang Rai even better. Also I've just always driven on my New Zealand license in Thailand. Never been a problem but is it allowed.

Thanks. I have travel insurance which covers $6000 (I think) excess for rental vehicles but of course that is only if my license is valid here. I know most countries I visit it is valid for up to 12 months but never checked thoroughly in Thailand but never had a problem renting with it.

This has been covered endlessly on TV. You can rent and drive on a NZ license but you can be in deep trouble if you have an accident and particularly if someone is injured. Get an International license. If it is a genuine and registered car hire company check your automatic insurance cover that you get if you pay by credit card. Never let them keep your passport - if it is a major hire company they won't try to in any case. Make sure you are covered whatever way you hire, and with whomever. Don't rely on anyone telling you are covered, make absolutely sure you really are. It is not worth the risk to save a few dollars going with an unknown entity.

• Like 2

We always hire from budget at 25% less than your walk in rate.

We use an agent that sells vouchers for budget.

So your 1000bt honda civic is picked up for 750 and a vios 650.

Its a tad extra for the weekend sat/sun

All you need to be aware of is the vouchers are posted to you so you need to book a good 4 day in advance. The agent then reserves whatever car you want.

As with all Budget hire cars they come with full comprehensive cover and can look after you in about 18 cities in Thailand......as they did with us once when i flattened the battery at 3am middle of nowhere 30km from phitsanoluk.

I wouldnt even look at anyone else.

Pm me if anyone wants the website of my contact.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have travel insurance which covers $6000 (I think) excess for rental vehicles but of course that is only if my license is valid here. I know most countries I visit it is valid for up to 12 months but never checked thoroughly in Thailand but never had a problem renting with it.

Thanks just the sort of info I am after. I want to do the Mae Hong Son loop but as I'm carrying a large camera kit I want something a little more secure than bikes plus my gf is a shocking rider plus di not have to worry about weather though she assures me we are not going to get rain because I am such a lucky person. 5555. If we can drop it off in Chiang Rai even better as we are heading there for Songkran to spend it with her family. If we can drop it in Chiang Rai I will keep it about 4 weeks and explore and photograph Nan province extensively. I've been told the roads are mainly sealed? Is that correct? I'm a location scout for tv commercials when in NZ so spend much of my time on unsealed mountain roads so not worried about my driving but more with others. Thanks again.

We always hire from budget at 25% less than your walk in rate.

We use an agent that sells vouchers for budget.

So your 1000bt honda civic is picked up for 750 and a vios 650.

Its a tad extra for the weekend sat/sun

All you need to be aware of is the vouchers are posted to you so you need to book a good 4 day in advance. The agent then reserves whatever car you want.

As with all Budget hire cars they come with full comprehensive cover and can look after you in about 18 cities in Thailand......as they did with us once when i flattened the battery at 3am middle of nowhere 30km from phitsanoluk.

I wouldnt even look at anyone else.

Pm me if anyone wants the website of my contact.

Agreed. I was very happy with my one-way rental the way they delivered the vehicle to where I was staying and came to collect it at the end of the contract period. And the vehicle was almost brand-new. I will use budget again