Bangkok’s Gaggan Tops Best Restaurants in Asia List

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-50626600-1426023668_thumb.

Bangkok’s Gaggan tops the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list this year. The progressive restaurant aims to bring Indian cuisine to a fine level.

Bangkok’s progressive Indian restaurant Gaggan nabbed the top spot on San Pellegrino’s list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurant. This is second year in a row Bangkok has scored the top slot on the list. It’s also the second time Gaggan made the list, moving up from the third slot in 2014.

Gaggan Mr. Anand, owner of Gaggan, opened his restaurant up in 2010. While some say the restaurant is part of the molecular-cuisine trend, the 37-year-old Indian chef shuns the term. Mr. Anand insists that he serves “progressive cuisine”. His goal was to reinvigorate Indian cuisine with the opening of Gaggan, and thus far, he’s succeeded. Restaurant-goers can enjoy new and unique dishes, like scallops with coconut and coriander curry or lamb chops with almond saffron oil. Mr. Anand describes his menu as “modern and experimental”.

Mr. Anand was the first Indian chef to undertake an internship at the el Bulli restaurant in Spain. The chef moved to Bangkok in 2007 and would open Gaggan just three years later. According to Mr. Anand, he’s inspired by his “reconstructed and deconstructed” memories of Indian cuisine. He’s on a mission to change the way people feel about Indian cuisine, which he feels is badly represented. According to Mr. Anand, Indian cuisine had never reached a fine level, like Italian, French or Japanese.

The top 50 restaurant list is typically dominated by restaurants in China, Bangkok, Japan and Singapore. However, this year, newcomers from Cambodia and the Philippines have also made the list. Cuisine Wat Damnak in Cambodia and Antonio’s in the Philippines were just two of the eight new restaurants to make the list this year.

For the second year in a row, Narisawa in Tokyo took the number two spot on the list followed by Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet in Shanghai.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-11

When you can get top quality food in Bangkok for under a thousand Baht of every cuisine can think of its really going to be one off dining for most people...much the same as the likes of Zuma.

Might give it a try sometime...but I like to get change from my 1000 Baht note really.

When you can get top quality food in Bangkok for under a thousand Baht of every cuisine can think of its really going to be one off dining for most people...much the same as the likes of Zuma.

Might give it a try sometime...but I like to get change from my 1000 Baht note really.

I see the Scottish coming out in your post smokie.

• Like 1