Questions: Motorbike License Bangkok Area 3 Dept of Land

jdarrinb

Hello,

Anyone have any experience obtaining a motorbike license recently in Bangkok (area 3 location)? I heard that you need to take a 4 hour lecture on road laws (perhaps in Thai) before you take the 50 question theory test, but they said the course is booked until July. This can't be right.

I'm an American and do not have a valid USA driver's license.

Also, any knowledge of the actual motorbike driving test (the balance bean thing worries me the most, ha ha) particularly at the Area 3 location near Sukhumvit Soi 99.

Please help! I'm so confused!

Thanks so much!

D-

I got my motorcycle license at the area 3 office in 2012 (both the 1 year and 5 year). I attended no lecture. I did the various vision and reaction tests, the "written" test, and the driving test. Things may have changed since I was there last.

Oh, the driving test was done on site on a small course they have. You have to drive a straight line (within set boundaries). You have to start and stop successfully. You have to start from an incline without rolling backwards. You have to drive a serpentine (without your foot touching the pavement). You have to make a 90 degree turn within set bountaries without touching the pavement. The driving part took me five minutes and I was able to do it on the first try. When I was there, they had a scooter you could use for free. It was an automatic and you were allowed no warm-up with it. You can use another bike if you want. The serpintine and 90 degree turn were rather tight, so I would not recommend a big bike.

Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that I was also told the theory tests are only offered on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

And I have a non-B and work permit so I'm all set with my documentation.

Thanks again!

D-