Final clause of Thai charter lets junta off hook for coup

webfact

was not this what caused so much unrest when yinluck was in power,trying to get immunity for her brother, double standards. only saying, and i am not red or yellow clap2.gif

Actually no. Yingluck c.s. tried a blanket amnesty bill which covered all 'politically motivated' offences from 2004 till 2013-08-09. Thalsin's last few years in and out of office and even Yingluck's first two years.

The clause in the charter only covers the junta involved in the 24th of May, 2014 coup.

From an 'orange' member,

uncle rubl

What did the Junta really do? no one was killed ... no bullets fired

Did they really do anything wrong?

They only stepped in to preserve the peace

So a few people got detained or tortured, this can happen anywhere

They should each be given large bonuses just like PT gave themselves for the rice scheme

So there's nothing really wrong in detaining or torturing a few people?

or a few "hundred"...

that we know of...

It's sad... just sad...

With you being one of the good Americans I'm willing to accept your opinion on the use of torture and the number of people mistreated like that.

What did the Junta really do? no one was killed ... no bullets fired

Did they really do anything wrong?

They only stepped in to preserve the peace

So a few people got detained or tortured, this can happen anywhere

They should each be given large bonuses just like PT gave themselves for the rice scheme

What did the Junta really do?

They stoped the killing and maybe prevented a civil war.

was not this what caused so much unrest when yinluck was in power,trying to get immunity for her brother, double standards. only saying, and i am not red or yellow clap2.gif

Actually no. Yingluck c.s. tried a blanket amnesty bill which covered all 'politically motivated' offences from 2004 till 2013-08-09. Thalsin's last few years in and out of office and even Yingluck's first two years.

The clause in the charter only covers the junta involved in the 24th of May, 2014 coup.

From an 'orange' member,

uncle rubl

Yes, somehow just giving yourselves amnesty is better than blanket amnesty cheesy.gif

Seriously, this clause should be subject to a referendum itself - regardless of the entire constitution.

You could have the constitution enacted for a specific term conditional on it being confirmed in a referendum.

This separate clause can be made a separate question - also conditional.

If they say that they cannot face a referendum or it might delay return to democratic rule - hold the referendum at the same time as general elections.... anything that faces the referendum can then cease to exist if rejected in that referendum.... except those that are required until it is replaced. A new constitutional congress would then have to be formed and be responsible for writing a new "people's constitution" rather than a "military constitution".

• Like 1

From an 'orange' member,

uncle rubl

Yes, somehow just giving yourselves amnesty is better than blanket amnesty cheesy.gif

Seriously, this clause should be subject to a referendum itself - regardless of the entire constitution.

You could have the constitution enacted for a specific term conditional on it being confirmed in a referendum.

This separate clause can be made a separate question - also conditional.

If they say that they cannot face a referendum or it might delay return to democratic rule - hold the referendum at the same time as general elections.... anything that faces the referendum can then cease to exist if rejected in that referendum.... except those that are required until it is replaced. A new constitutional congress would then have to be formed and be responsible for writing a new "people's constitution" rather than a "military constitution".

Seriously? Your first sentence doesn't seem to be that serious, but then granting 25,000+ 'politically motivated' offenders amnesty shouldn't be seen as really serious either. Still the clause being discussed concentrates and doesn't try to include relatives, friends and other 'deserving' people.

"Meanwhile, Thienchay Kirananda, president of the National Reform Council, said yesterday that the NRC would not endorse the draft constitution if there were any "blemish" considered unacceptable to the public. When asked to define "blemish", he said that would be identified by the public."

With martial law, censorship, bans on political gatherings and criticism of the junta, etc., how is the public expected to identify blemishes?

The clue is in 'considered unacceptable to the public' I guess.

BTW martial law, censorship, etc., etc. have nothing to do with the public identifying blemishes. The public only needs to have a copy of the draft and mail comments to the CDC or its commissions.

Right, "mail comments to the CDC". And if the CDC doesn't agree that what is identified qualifies as a blemish, then the blemish free constitution is imposed on Thailand. That's so much easier than lifting censorship and having a public debate.

Correct, similar to a government ignoring and obstructing an opposition while pushing through a blanket amnesty bill even most posters here disagree with.

Are you suggesting that this amnesty attempt should also be prevented with a coup? You're getting on dangerous ground rubl, you might get called in for an attitude adjustment.

Or are you just trying to divert attention from the OP by steering discussion to your favorite topic?

The clue is in 'considered unacceptable to the public' I guess.

BTW martial law, censorship, etc., etc. have nothing to do with the public identifying blemishes. The public only needs to have a copy of the draft and mail comments to the CDC or its commissions.

Right, "mail comments to the CDC". And if the CDC doesn't agree that what is identified qualifies as a blemish, then the blemish free constitution is imposed on Thailand. That's so much easier than lifting censorship and having a public debate.

Correct, similar to a government ignoring and obstructing an opposition while pushing through a blanket amnesty bill even most posters here disagree with.

Are you suggesting that this amnesty attempt should also be prevented with a coup? You're getting on dangerous ground rubl, you might get called in for an attitude adjustment.

Or are you just trying to divert attention from the OP by steering discussion to your favorite topic?

No

You should read some thais news, foreign news and listen to the stories about political opponents to the coup as well as students...no bullet fired? not sure...people disappearing in the wild after an army visit...sure....

They don t preserve peace, the steal it

aaacorp....... if you don't like it.... there's the door.....!!! whistling.gif

Backseeda, i don't like it and i say it...you must be american with such answer : "if you don't like it go home!"

No i don't like it, i don t like seeing a country being stumpled by a Junta which has aboslutly no clue about politic, economy and just change the corruption destination for their own pocket.

And of course i would be happy to raise a specific finger in your direction, but the mod will again complain i m too enthousiast for people like you...

In fact i would be happy to applaud the students who raise their voice against Prayout...will you tell them to go away of their country as well?

What poll do you use to see how thai people are happy? the one ordered by the Junta?

Or maybe you ignore the fact than even the Democrat now complain about Prayout Attitude

So everybody is happy right? but not the media, not the student, not both political parties, not the economy...lot of complains but you ignore this...maybe it's because you live in the rural Isaan and don't see what happen daily here while you go fishing in the mekong, baksida....

I think a child could look at my profile pic and know I am Not from the USA.... but the real truth of the matter is ... Thai politics have nothing to do with any farang... You are getting your knickers in a twist ranting on about something which has absolutely NOTHING to do with you or me.. And just to add.. all of those millions of Thai people who sold their votes for 500bahts... They deserve this Junta ..! Go blame them..! w00t.gif Personally I don't give a damn...

You don't give a damn? then why open your mouth about my point of view?...

About the fact that Thai politic has nothing to do with farang, it may not involve people like you with a fishing rod along the mekong enjoying some retirement, butt someone who actively participate in the Thai economy, has thai friends whose jobs depend of the laws this Junta pop out...

And now you basically put the blame on Thai people for not voting "right"...you know even the thai, especially the farmers, wouldn't have voted again for the pheu tai if Yingluck was still PM and still didn't pay for the rice...

Give me one concrete exemple of things done better with this wonderful Commandante? Corruption, i mean, not the one where you give 200thb for the cop who arrest you for helmet, no i mean the real corruption, involving high figure..

What about the "justice far all" where is the red bull son already? what happened to the CEO of Central world already? you know, things that may let the people understand than being a hi-so is not a "yes" card anymore...

So, i can understand your active days are over and you pretty live on a rock in the middle of nowhere, where politic does not impact on you, but please let the active people who inject money in this country and pay their taxed, have an opinion about the current political nonesense

Edited by aaacorp