Visa Refused!

peteypie you want to wake up and smell the roses
The Embassy isn't there to screw you over, they are trying to protect you, me, and everyone else out there

You want to check out my previous posts on this subject.

I live with my fiancee in Khon Kaen in the NE. We have our own house, a new car in my fiancee's name which we have a finance agreement on, my fiancee's 10 year old daughter lives with us and goes to the local school, we have a 6 month old Shitzu dog.

As I was supposed to return to the UK in May for an operation I applied for a 6 week visa for her and made plans to marry my fiancee in front of my family and friends whilst I was there .

At interview we took with us the deeds to the house in my fiancee's name, photo's of the house and my fiancee's daughter and a copy of her birth certificate, the purchase agreement details of the car, every single receipt of every single purchase since I moved to Khon Kaen, a letter from my Bangkok solicitors regarding my application for a Marriage Visa, our bank books showing our joint funds in 2 banks and my passport showing when I entered the country and clearly showing I hadn't left the country (apart from 1 visa run).

The decision of the wonderful British Embassy you have such high regard for?

VISA REFUSED

On the grounds that the Embassy were satisfied my fiancee did not intend to return to Thailand.

Having subsequently written to the (acting) Entry Clearance Office (Mr Kevin Newman) he further enlightened me with the information that according to his Visa Officer (a Miss Khan) my fiancee at interview apparantly claimed she had no children and was working in Samut Prakan for 100baht a day in a handbag factory.

12 days ago I wrote to Mr Newman asking:-

Could you also explain why on the refusal form it states “you have stated that you intend to marry your boyfriend whilst in the UK and that you intend to settle with your boyfriend in the UK” – when in fact my fiancée has no intention of staying in the UK as supported by the documentary evidence? (and by the way has no desire to).

Could you also explain why the question “If you wish to comment on the reasons for refusal, I shall record your response below” – was not asked (hence blank)?

Could you also explain why the contents of the refusal form were NOT  translated into Thai  as required by due process and as stated on the refusal form?

Could you also explain to me why my fiancée (a Thai national) was asked to sign a form written in English – a language she only has a partial command of? (and incidentally on refusal was told it was “mai samkhan”). See above.

Could you also explain why my fiancée was told at the start of interview that she (Miss Khan) was busy and didn’t have a lot of time and that she (my fiancée) was to answer the questions and not ask them? Is this normal Embassy procedure?

Could you also explain why I, as my fiancée’s supporter, was not asked to corroborate the statements my fiancée made?

You state in your letter “Although guarantees from sponsors are useful, the onus is on the applicant to demonstrate to an Entry Clearance Officer that he or she qualifies for entry clearance in accordance with United Kingdom Immigration Rules”. Could you explain more fully in which areas we have failed to satisfy the Immigration rules

I have yet to receive an answer.

a couple of beer tokens to the guy at the Embassy wouldn't go amiss.

How naive are you?

ALL Embassies get mightily pissed if they are lied to, and they maintain a record of the sin/s.

Would putting her in your suitcase or hand luggage be a possibility?

It would have to be hand luggage. Some of the equipment moving suitcases throws it several feet into the air to move it from one conveyor belt to another.

Would putting her in your suitcase or hand luggage be a possibility?

It would have to be hand luggage. Some of the equipment moving suitcases throws it several feet into the air to move it from one conveyor belt to another.

Jeez . :o

Nah! - Sea freight is better - but ensure vents in the container! Oh yeah, there's vacancies for cockle pickers in Morecambe if she wants a job. :D

So sorry, reading again is so un-symphatic - edited later on a Sat nt - you guys who wanna take a girl to UK and bring her back to LOS (and who wouldn't) just tell the truth, demonstrate that you can do it and fill in simple forms - I've never seen a probem and loads of my mates from UK and Europe have done it - just spell it out simply, get your girl to do the same.

You do need to demonstrate that you can support her tho, and she needs to demonstrate that she is going to come back to LOS.

I sincerely apologise for any offense that I may have caused.

Check this site out!

http://www.thailand-uk.com

These are all guys who have been through the UK visa process and have a wealth of information on getting your application right.

Visitor visa's are notoriously difficult to get unless the applicant can show money in the bank and a reason to return like a good job and property etc.

Take a look at the above site, they will put you straight but don't forget to come straight back here :o

Simon.

Had similar problems last Jan when we wanted to travel to New Zealand for a month . We ended up paying a NZ $ 3000 bond ,which id to be returned to us upon showing evidence of return to Thailand . Had to make payment per credit card,they did not accept cash.

Now we are waiting for over 2 weeks already for the return of the money ,wonder how long that is going to take.

ALL Embassies get mightily pissed if they are lied to, and they maintain a record of the sin/s.

There are some cases where ECOs should respect the principle of 'Ask no questions and I will tell no lies'. The UK immigration rules do not require spouses to love one another, merely that they intend to live together as husband and wife. However, it is a brave interviewee who can answer 'No' to the question 'Do you love your husband?'. My wife was asked that question when she applied for a spouse's visa, but there is no record of that in the transcript, nor of the ECO gaining extra evidence that she did. My wife felt it was an important part of the interview.

Is there any good reason for interviews not being tape-recorded, as when the British police interview suspects? I have recently seen some transcripts from interviews by British ECOs, and they are clearly incomplete. It is clear that in some cases the questions have not been understood. Also, some of the answers seem to have been ambiguous in Thai. A simple example is where the Thai 'faen' has been translated as 'boyfriend', although its meaning actually encompasses 'husband'. A serious issue is whether Thai 'khrap' and 'kha' are being translated as 'yes' when they just mean 'Carry on, I'm listening'.

Does anyone know whether a fiancée visa can be used for what is intended as a visit? I was once caught in the position where my girlfriend could not get a visitor's visa because she might marry me but could not get a fiancée visa because I was not yet free to marry! (A friend, who had seen a program on the smuggling in of dogs, suggested I should try smuggling her in. Our separation was affecting her health.) It seems silly that one can't get a visitor's visa with permission to marry and settle with a named individual. When I last looked (5+ years ago), a fiancée visa required the intention to marry.

I wish the FCO would make the position clear on visits by girlfriends. Does it suspect that its policy is in breach of the law? The current pattern of a visitor's visa being refused and then a fiancée's visa being granted is seen by some as a racket. It might even help if they made the position on bargirls clear. It actually seems quite clear - a bargirl past is not a bar on entry. Incidentally, most of the ex-bargirls I know in England work hard in respectable (albeit mostly menial) jobs.

When I wanted to take my wife of 2 years back to the UK to live with me, I went to the embassy in BKK to find out precisely what was required of us. At the time I was living and working in Oman. The embassy official upstairs in the 'Brits Only' section told me to apply in Oman for a visitors visa for her with return air ticket and then when we arrived in UK and had settled (within six months) apply for a settlement visa. The official stated that the BKK embassy was unlikely to accept her application for either a visit visa or settlement visa first time round as this was "Policy"!!

We duly applied for a visa in Oman and the embassy there could not do enough to help us. We were both interviewed and the visa stamped in my wife's passport within the hour! They also confirmed that the BKK embassy staff were despised in embassy cilcles for their attitude towards visa applicants.

Three months after our arrival in the UK my wife applied for a residence permit and was granted "Leave To remain In The UK Indefinately" six weeks later.

It all goes to show - avoid the BKK embassy at all costs - if you can.

CC

The embassy official upstairs in the 'Brits Only' section told me to apply in Oman for a visitors visa for her with return air ticket and then when we arrived in UK and had settled (within six months) apply for a settlement visa. The official stated that the BKK embassy was unlikely to accept her application for either a visit visa or settlement visa first time round as this was "Policy"!!

Why did he recommend a visitor's visa? Would you have had a problem demonstrating the ability to maintain and accommodate yourselves without recourse to public funds?

I thought this way in has now been closed, but I couldn't find any confirmation on the government web sites. They seem more difficult to use and less informative than they were six years ago.

Slim, I may be a retard but my wife got the visa! I guess I read and understood the visa application process better than you and your wife did?! Remember, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

peteypie,

My experience with uk embassy in BKK is limited to my little pommie mate's own.

When he was 60 and GF was 26or 27at the time and had been living together for about 1 year, he thought she would have no hope because of the age difference but they got a 6 month visa, he's still scratching his head why.

Other guys he knew were saying they had no hope, based on their own experiences.

If you read all the posts relating to this subject you will find success and failure stories and apparently with no rhyme or reason.

I reckon the one common denominator is the Case Workers, good ones and bad ones.

:o

He met her on a chat line on the internet and married her all so quick!!

My suggestion would either wait until a relationship can be established and verified...or start a family and get her to the UK on a medical visa. Then start the immigration process...they can't refuse if she's got a pommie kid.

Surin, Slim and his GF have a long relationship, they live in KK and I really think that something smells about the embassy decsion in his case. I think you are confusing him with the other guy, Mal2004

Thanks mate...I started off reading the first couple of posts and jumped to the last...probably missed the new tale of woe!!! :o

It all goes to show - avoid the BKK embassy at all costs - if you can.

I believe this holds true for US Embassies as well. I think it is because there is some novelty for the staff in dealing with a nationality other then the usual hordes from that country. Besides, if you are together in another country, you are more likely serious.

TH

• 2 months later...

this is the question that motivated me to join this forum.

the Thai girl to US visa stories I have read are heart breaking & troubling.

Post short version: Can any one suggest a Bangkok/US Visa Service that can keep the process' trauma to a minimum.

After several visits (10+) to Thailand over a 5 year period, I have made a decision that having my Thai lady in my US home would be wonderful.

the posted statement 'There maybe something you are not aware of. ' is the lady complicator .. even the baddest GoGo dancer can be seemingly sweet & my choice reports some behaviors required by her customers that are risky at the least.

& our age differance is more than slightly significant .. her mama is almost to young for me!

I previously married a Taiwanese, early 80s, & found the Taiwanese visa agency invaluable.

I am terrible at detailed paper work & WILL attempt to utilize an agency.

Just someone to make sure that each 'box' is completed in the proper manner .. proper word choice ..

Suggestions.