Grade School In Surin Area

wanttoescape

Hello - I am new to the Forum, this is just my 2nd post. My wife is a Thai national living in the US for 25 years. Most of her family lives in Surin. We now live in Mississippi, USA and are seriously considering a move to Isaan (most likely in or near Surin). My only real concern about the move is our 4-year old daughter and how difficult it might be for her to start school there while learning a new language. She speaks a small bit of Thai now with her mother and grandmother, and I'm sure she will pick it up much quicker than I will. Can anyone offer information on the grade school curriculum and school structure in the Surin area? Do they teach English at the grade school level? I would be perfectly happy putting her in the public Thai school system if it would suit her. I have also heard of the international schools, but don't know much about them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also we will be visiting Surin in November, if anyone would be willing to meet, have a beer, and discuss life in Issan. :o

Want to Escape (but still have some questions)

Come on into our Den............................there is no International schools as such, but there are a lot of Farangs living here with children in school. Pop into our establishment for a chat when you get here. Link at the top of every Isaan page. cheers

Come on into our Den............................there is no International schools as such, but there are a lot of Farangs living here with children in school. Pop into our establishment for a chat when you get here. Link at the top of every Isaan page. cheers

Hi Lampard - Thanks, we'll pop in during our visit. Good to hear that there are other farang children in the school system, up until now, only heard negative things about the educational level, etc, etc.... We are looking for a lifestyle change, tired of the US "rat race" and stress, stress, stress... My username says it for me, I'm 35 and want to enjoy the second half (if I make it that far). You're from the UK? It seems (by reading this forum) that most farangs there in the Surin area are former UK residents. Look forward to meeting you. :o

Try out the following link, it's not about school, but a easy :o way to learn Thai for Kids.

You probably have to download (or already have) Thai fonts.

The goal of this lessons is to read & write words in the context of a simple story

about a Thai girl named Maanii.

Helped for me aswell :D