Some 6.3 million Thai travelers expected for Songkran

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: - The Transport Ministry has braced for facilitating the travels by 6.3 million Thais during Songkran festival.

All systems of public transportation are ready to provide safe and convenient services in light of expected surge of travelers from today to April 19, Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said.

In the 10-day period, the people are expected to vacation and to visit their hometown to celebrate Thai New Year.

Inter-provincial bus services will increase from 6,000 scheduled trips to 7,959 per day. The daily bus passengers are projected to surge to 1.6 million around the country.

Bus passengers can call hotline no. 1356 for bus information and for voicing complaints about services.

Train services will add two to three extra carriages per trip. Some 30 extra trains will be scheduled from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani and Sila At in order to accommodate 1.18 million passengers.

The Airports of Thailand said some 290 extra flights would be added to the holiday schedule.

During Songkran, there would be 21,744 flights to serve 3.5 million passengers.

THAI Airways will revise the daily schedule for Bangkok-Phuket flight to 26 and Bangkok-Chiang Mai to 18.

For Bangkok, the BTS train operator will increase the service frequency during the holidays. BMTA bus will provide 215,750 services.

There will be two free shuttle bus services from Mor Chit 2 to BTS Chatuchak Station and from Mor Chit 2 to Wat Saket from April 12 to April 14.

To mark the Day of the Elderly on April 13, senior citizens can avail themselves to free services for Airport Rail Link, MRT train and BMTA bus.

Motorists will be allowed free pass for motorways to and from Bangkok.

Toll exemption includes Bangkok-Chon Buri motorway and Buraphavithi express way.

So...the equivalent to 10% of Thailand' population is coming in the next few days......or with 25 million tourists/year....therefore ~25% of the annual tourist numbers....for songkran!!

Who makes this garbage up..........??

Appologies......they're talking of Thai tourists!!

Edited by ChrisY1

Well, I didn't know the 13th was the 'Day of the Elderly'. Did you?

Could I ask posters to be so kind, if they notice I haven't posted for a fortnight or so, to call the authorities and get them to investigate my house, following my self imposed isolation during this week of nonsense.

Don't worry, if they find me expired, I'll make it look like suicide, thus avoiding any need to investigate. Unfortunately, I live in a bungalow so that rules out balconies.

• Like 1