Tourist Visas and Re-entry Permits

if I have a 60 day tourist visa for Thailand and want to go to Laos for a week and I have been advised I need a Re-entry visa.

If I'm out of Thailand for say ten days, is this time "lost" from my 60 days tourist visa or is the 60 days recalculated?

Thanks for your help.

A re-entry permit keeps your current 60 day entry valid when you enter the country. You will get the same permitted to stay date when you re-enter the country. You get no additional days.

One advantage of the re-entry permit is that you can still get the 30 day extension of the entry,

If I'm out of Thailand for say ten days, is this time "lost" from my 60 days tourist visa or is the 60 days recalculated?

If your entered on a single entry tourist visa and you leave without a re-entry permit, when you return to Thailand you'll have nothing other than a 15 or 30 day visa exempt entry depending on your nationality.

The tourist visa will have been stamped as used when you first entered and, without a re-entry permit, your permission to remain in Thailand for 60 days will end as soon as you leave the country (if you do so without a re-entry permit).

If you entered on a two or three entry tourist visa, if you leave without a re-entry permit, when you return to Thailand you'll be entering on the 2nd or 3rd permitted entry of the tourist visa (assuming it hasn't expired or been fully used already) if you do not have a re-entry permit.

Assuming you have a 60 day single entry Tourist Visa, then any time spent in another Country will still be taken from that 60 days.

You need the re-entry permit to keep the Visa valid when you re-enter Thailand.

You can apply for a 30 day extension to your Visa from an Immigration office.

How far ahead can you get the re-entry permit please?

Using a hypothetical example:

Day 1: enter Thailand on a 60 day visa

Day 2: decide to go to Laos on Day 45 of my visa for 5 days.

Can I go to my local immigration office (Koh Samui) on Day 2 to get the permit, or do I have to wait until nearer the time e.g. Day 40?

Or does each local immigration have its own rules about when you can apply?

Does the application form have an official name/number or do I simply ask for a re-entry permit form?

Does the permit, once granted, specify the amount of time I can be out of the country e.g. leaving on Day 45 and coming back Day 50? Supposing my plans change, and I want to come back on Day 52, or Day 48, instead?

How much does it cost? 1900 THB?

Is the permit a stamp in my passport, or is it like the Departure card, something separate, which has been stapled on to one of the pages in my passport?

I have no immediate plans to do this but I am intending to bookmark this thread for future reference.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by silver sea

You can go on day 2.

The form is TM8 and can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm8.doc But you can simply ask for it at immigration.

You will need copy of your passport and pass photo.

Thank you for your quick reply! While you were posting, I was editing my OP, as further questions were coming to mind.

Your thoughts on those questions too will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by silver sea

A re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht. You can stay out of Thailand as long as you want, but the re-entry permit is only valid for the duration of your permission to stay. So you must return before day 60 (and then still can get a 30 day extension).

The re-entry permit is a stamp.

Upon return to Thailand you fill in the number of your re-entry permit where the ask for your visa number. They will stamp you in with your original permission to stay.

• Like 1

My thanks to both Ubonjoe and Mario2008 for this very useful information. This is why I enjoy reading Thai Visa.com every day I always get some accurate up to date Visa/Re-entry info. Especially from Ubonjoe.

This will be my very first time I have written on this web site. This is for UBONJOE. I would value your help and advice Joe. I am from West Craigs near Hamilton in Scotland, I am 61 yrs old born in Scotland. I have a very nice Thai girlfriend who lives just outside of Trat and is very trust worthy and very family orientated. We have been communicating and living together Since Nov 2013. I have been to Thailand twice so far first time was March-June 2014 on a Single entry Tourist Visa and my 2nd time was Oct 2014 until Feb 2015 Double entry TV. plus I went to Laem Gnop my nearest Police Immigration office 25km fm Trat to get my 30 day extensions (1900 Baht). Laterally I left Thailand after my first 3 months and I went to Cambodia at Hat Yai and then used my 2nd T.V. before re-entering Thailand later the same evening. It was very useful to learn about a re-entry permit for my future trips on holiday into Cambodia. I have decided to sell my house in the UK and retire to Thailand permanently and join the ranks of British expats. Ubonjoe what in your opinion is the best Retirement visa for me to get and how do they work and what do I have to do to obtain a 1 year O A Retirement Visa? I have rang the Royal Thai Embassy in London and as usual the lady could not get me off the phone quick enough (far too busy) impression. I was told I had to travel 800 miles round trip to London to get this retirement visa as I could not obtain it from the Royal Thai Consulate in Glasgow where I go for my Tourist Visa £25 ea. Same day service. In London I was told it will take 24 hours to get visa and the documents I need are: 1. A Medical Certificate. 2. A Police criminal check. from a body I have never heard of, I have never been in trouble with the police for anything in my whole life so this will and should be no problem. 3. A Letter from my local Bank Manager stating my present Bank Balance which will exceed the equivalent of 800,000 Thai Baht required for a retirement visa 1 year O A. I will also ask for 3 or 6 months recent bank account statements all stamped and signed. If the latter is required? just incase. I was told that I have to get all 3 pieces of documentation notarised by a solicitor, is this correct information Joe? I will in the future maybe in 1 year or so get married to my Thai girlfriend but for now I am taking my time to see how things work out in Thailand and I intend to keep most of the proceeds from the sale of my house in my bank in Scotland for this 1st year atleast incase things do not work out, but I will be going over with a positive attitude and I will and I do always welcome and value good sound accurate advice on living in Thailand and especially about Visa's etc. The Lady told me there was another retirement visa which means me having to do 3 month reporting ( now I believe this can be done online? to Laem Gnop? Or to Bangkok Thai Embassy or Immigration? Do I have to pay any money every 3 months for reporting online? If so how much. Which in your opinion is the easiest Visa to get? I was told the O A Visa cost £125. What is the name of the retirement visa reporting every 3 months? and cosy pls. Joe, is it true I will not need to return back to the UK after my 1st year ends? I can ontain another 1 year O A retirement visa in Thailand if true, from where and how much? How long will it take to get the visa? and what docs in Thailand will I need. I already have my own seperate Kasikorn bank account in Trat first opened in April 2014 I intend to transfer around 1 million+ baht from my bank in Scotland in approx 7 months time when the UK Pound is stronger against the baht so I will have my 800k baht equivalent in both banks. Thanks to the many posts on here I have learned that If I get married I will only need 400k in my bank in Thailand or UK? weathered for 2 or 3 months? Correcy me if I am wrong 2 months in my first year and 3 months in my second year? Joe? am I safer to stay single and get a 1 yr O A Visa instead of getting married? I read on here that if my wife died I would have to leave Thailand but if I stay single I would not have to leave Thailand. I am retired and I will not ever be working or start a business as it seems far too much of a hassle and may be very stressful as I hate paperwork, especially visas. I have a small tax free monthly pension in addition to my savings and proceeds from my house in Scotland. Any pension advice and exchange rate tips is very welcome, I am thinking of transferring my pension over to Thailand every 3 or 4 months until the Baht weakens even more. Last March 2014 rate was 1 GBP = 55 THB and 1 yr later it went down to 1 GBP = 47.3 THB. Now it is back up to around 52.1 THB with TORFX and 52.5 with CurrencyFair but sadly they have recently stopped trading in Thai Baht. UK Forex is also around 52.30 I hope this helps anyone wanting to know recent international money exchange rates.Ubonjoe I hope you can find time to answer my questions. Thank You! I remember reading that Thai Visa expat members have their own bar in Bangkok where can I find out the address and contact details pls? Tel No. Etc.

There are no "retirement visas" . You have the following options

1 The O/A (long stay ) visa ( informationis available on the London Thai Embassy web site.) This is the visa which requires police checks etc.

2. If over the age of 65 and in receipt of an Old Age Pension then it may be possible to obtain a multiple entry "O" visa" which is valid for one year

3. Finally a single entry "O" visa obtained from one of the Thai Honorary consulates will provide a 90 day stay and enable a application to be made for an "extension of stay " based on retirement .

For options 1 & 3 adequate finances must be available.

No O/A or other "replacement " or "renewed" "visas" are available in Thailand !

Extensions of stay can be renewed if requirements are met but adequate finance must be in a Thai bank or available as income certified by the British Embassy.

Edited by nzexpat

Since you already have a Thai bank account in your name only. You best option may be to get a single entry non-o visa. Then transfer the equivalent of 800k baht into your account. Then when the money has been in the bank for 60 days apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at your local immigration office. The fee will be 1900 baht. No need for a medical or police certificate.

If you are in Glasgow you should be able to get the single entry non-o visa at the consulate there.

Or you can one in Vientiane or Penang after you have the 800k baht in the bank.

The is no charge for 90 day reporting.

• Like 1

Thanks for your quick reply I will take you good advice ubonjoe. I will go to Glasgow Royal Thai Consulate just before I fly to Thailand. I was going to get a triple tourist visa to give me a total stay if 9 months or 270 days now I will apply for the single entry non-o visa instead. What price is this visa based on retirement? After I go to my local police immigration office at LAEM GNOP near Trat? Does this mean I would have to transfer the equivalent of 800k baht from Scotland into my kasikorn bank account after only 1 month of arriving in the country so i will then have money in my bank for the next 2 months then I will qualify for an extension to stay. How long will the extension last for? I was hopeing not! to transfer 800k from the UK until the GBP grew stronger against the baht also in another 6 or 7 months time the baht will devalue even more! If this happens I will then transfer the proceeds of my house sale. When I am back in Thailand living with my Thai girlfriend and I have managed to get an extension visa can I obtain a yellow house book based on retirement at age 61 yrs or must I be over 65? If I can do this where would I go to obtain such a house book and what docs would I need as well as loads of photos and a basic map of how to get to the house. Or would I have to be married to my Thai gf first?

nzexpat thank you very much for your visa information. This was very helpful. It will make me happy to know that I will not have to go all the way to london. I will for now go to Glasgow and unfortunately have to transfer the 800,000 baht a lot earlier than I had wanted too. I think the Baht may go back up to 55 baht again within the next 6 months or so?

Hi Rob, I think your getting ahead of yourself. You have to learn to walk before you can run, so to speak.

Thailand only allows a stay of 90 days at a time without either leaving the Country or reporting to Immigration.

For those who want to live in Thailand we get an 'extension of permission to stay' based on either retirement or marriage.

This extension is valid for 12 months and costs 1,900 baht. You must report to Immigration every 90 days though.

That may seem very demanding, but you only need to physically report in person once a year at your Immigration office to do the 'extension. (It is not a Visa, it's a permit)

90 day reports can be done in person if convenient, or by mail, or via the internet. (Free)

You can only get your first extension of stay if you have an Non Immigrant Type O Visa. (Not a Tourist Visa)

nzexpat explained the options above.

It is easier to get the single entry Non Imm O Visa which is valid for 90 days.

One of the conditions to get an 'extension' is to have either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for 60 days prior to applying for your first extension, (90 days thereafter) or proof of having an income of 65,000 a month, or a combination of the two.

The Bank account must be in your sole name.

Proof of income must be in the form of a letter issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days before your 90 day Visa expires, provided you can meet the financial requirements at the time of application.

First step is to get a 90 day single entry Non Imm O Visa from Glasgow.

After arriving in Thailand you need to transfer the funds as soon as possible. Don't forget you'll need funds to live on as well.

Once you've achieved the above, then ask questions about the forms and documents required for applying for an extension of stay based on retirement. Forget questions about getting the Yellow House Book (Tabian Ban) until you have the extension of stay.

One step at a time.

The rules for meeting the financial requirements can be found here:

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557 Subject: Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand

2.22 In the case of retirement: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non­immigrant visa (NON­IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(A) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000

(cool.png If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

Police Order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en - immigration.pdf

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1