Cheapest and easiest place to go get my new visa? (Flying)

I am getting a new ed visa and have just been told my visa company that because I have a new PP and haven't transferred my visa stamp yet it is best for me to fly in and out to avoid problems with immigration? I need to be out ny the 29th of this month.

Has anyone experienced problems trying to do this over a land border with new PP?

If I do need to fly, where is the best place to go to apply for new visa? I am flying from Chiang Mai

Thanks in advance for any helpful info

If you are on a visa, you should be fine going to Immigration with both passports and applying for a normal extension of stay when it is due. If you are on an extension of stay, then just pop into Immigration and transfer it to the new passport, (British PP holders need a letter from the embassy asking Immigration to do this (free), not sure about other nationalities).

Don't understand why your school would tell you it is easiest to leave the country ?

Edited by bigt3116

This would be to start a new Ed visa, the current one expires on 29th May. I only recently collected my new PP so have started the process all a bit last minute and I have the letter from embassy which I need to fill out but it suggests that I need to go british embassy in bangkok, although I have just noticed it says I can email scanned copies of the form/letter, new and old pp data pages, last date entered TH and type of visa so should be simple

But to be honest, if that fails for any reason I am thinking how much hassle can it be just going my normal bus/overland route to Vientiane, if it takes me an extra hour at Nong Khai and even a couple of thousand baht to smooth things overs it will still be cheaper than flying somewhere.

This would be to start a new Ed visa, the current one expires on 29th May. I only recently collected my new PP so have started the process all a bit last minute and I have the letter from embassy which I need to fill out but it suggests that I need to go british embassy in bangkok, although I have just noticed it says I can email scanned copies of the form/letter, new and old pp data pages, last date entered TH and type of visa so should be simple

But to be honest, if that fails for any reason I am thinking how much hassle can it be just going my normal bus/overland route to Vientiane, if it takes me an extra hour at Nong Khai and even a couple of thousand baht to smooth things overs it will still be cheaper than flying somewhere.

Why not follow the "advice" from the expensive "visa company" you told us about in the first post ?

Here are some thought(s)

Why is a "new" Ed visa needed ?

Why cannot an "extension of stay" be secured? ( Ask the "school" )

Maybe no transfer of "stamps" is needed !

Perhaps all that is required is for the two passports to be presented at a border .

Perhaps it would be wise to secure the Embassy "letter" .

smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

"Visas are not transferred, only extensions of stay."

I was on a 90 day visa and had to get a new passport. I went to the US consulate and then Thai immigration and my visa was transferred to the new passport, with a little letter stamped to it.

I was on a 90 day visa and had to get a new passport. I went to the US consulate and then Thai immigration and my visa was transferred to the new passport, with a little letter stamped to it.

We do not believe you !

Please scan and post a picture of this "Transferred" Visa ! smile.png

• Like 1

I am certain all that was transferred was your entry/permitted to stay stamp. Immigration then did an annotation of the visa that allowed that 90 day entry.

Permits to stay are not visas. A visa only allows you to enter the country and obtain the permit to stay allowed by it.

• Like 2

Why not follow the "advice" from the expensive "visa company" you told us about in the first post ?

Here are some thought(s)

Perhaps all that is required is for the two passports to be presented at a border .

smile.png

Already had 3 extensions of stay and as it will have been 12 months since I last did an in/out as far as I know I am required to leave the country again. According to the embassy letter a transfer of visa stamp is needed. Some of your advice and info has been helpful, Thank you. Your condescending attitude I can only assume is to prepare me for similar treatment from a Thai immigration official at the border.

biggrin.png

Here are some thought(s)

smile.png

Already had 3 extensions of stay and as it will have been 12 months since I last did an in/out as far as I know I am required to leave the country again. According to the embassy letter a transfer of visa stamp is needed. Some of your advice and info has been helpful, Thank you. Your condescending attitude I can only assume is to prepare me for similar treatment from a Thai immigration official at the border.

biggrin.png

When seeking assistance/ advice from other than an "expert visa company " it always helps if the whole story is told ! smile.png

Why was the "whole" tale not told from the beginning?

You have , being on an extension of stay , NO "visa stamps to transfer ! (visas are NEVER "transferred )

Edited by nzexpat

They would not have transferred your visa. They would have put a stamp in your new passport detailing your permission to stay information with a penned note of the original visa entry.

Permissions to stay, extensions of stay and visas are different things.