Prayut's 'war on corruption' will kick off soon

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe good news at last on the corruption front but it has to be done across the board.

Not just the top tier like the government officials but with the lower ranks such as the police and school teachers.

Heard one such case only last week. My wife has neices and nephews who are aged between 6 and 8 who go to the local village school.

The pupils are 'encouraged to save money' with their teachers, normally about 5B a day.

The neice came home the other day asking for my wife to now keep any money she saves as she does not want to give to the teacher.

This action was sparked when the nephew was told he had accumaleted savings with the teacher of 400B but he could not have it back as the teacher had no money to give him.

Some of the children were given back the money they saved by some teachers, but other teachers would not give back at all.

5B a day for 30 children in a class is a lot of extra cash to top up one's wages.

The parent's however are afraid to go and see the teacher or tell their children not to give the teacher money as they fear the children will be victimised by the teacher.

This is the sort of corruption that should be stamped on before the children except this as a way of life, and do similar when they grow up.

My wife has been a government teacher for 26 years and has never received any money from any corrupt act. Now school directors are a different story. But if she wanted a transfer to another school she would have to pay 200,000 baht to get it. I think teachers are at the bottom of the ladder in terms of corrupt government officials with little or no opportunity to jump on the gravy train.

Whilst i do not doubt the sincerity of your post doing the maths it does seem a lot of work for a small return and a lot of potential hassle from parents.

30 children x 5 baht a day x 180 days a year school is open = 27,000 baht a year that's assuming every child pays and the teacher returns nothing.

It is too bad the teachers do not get to enjoy some of the benefits of the school scams that are going on. I agreed to pay for the education of a five year old. The school where she is now enrolled just charged me 600 THB for "internet access". I was told that every student in the school gets charged the same amount. There are about 400 students in the school. 600 X 400 = 240K THB. I doubt very much that any internet provider is charging the school 240K THB per year for internet access. So where is the extra going??coffee1.gif

This PM is the best thing that has happened to Thailand .

Conversely, Thailand is the best thing that ever happened to the General who appointed himself PM.

As per the declaration of known assets last November, He gave his daughters 198.5 million baht and still had assets worth 128 million baht remaining.

Please tell me how he amassed such a fortune on a general's salary, especially in light of his statement that he is not a businessman.

Conversely, Thailand is the best thing that ever happened to the General who appointed himself PM.

As per the declaration of known assets last November, He gave his daughters 198.5 million baht and still had assets worth 128 million baht remaining.

Please tell me how he amassed such a fortune on a general's salary, especially in light of his statement that he is not a businessman.

then there was the 600 million that he didn't want reporters talking about ... because it was the sale of his Dad's land...

his father was also a career military man...

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view and a member's been warned for violating this forum rule:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769792-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

Thailand remain under Martial Law and the rules related to Social Media and posting on Thaivisa will follow the guidelines set forth by the Thai government and the military. Here are some things that you should consider when posting:

All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial.

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules, and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

then there was the 600 million that he didn't want reporters talking about ... because it was the sale of his Dad's land...

Interesting how you suggest without saying. Almost as if anyone who's father has lots of land is suspect.

Interesting how you suggest without saying. Almost as if anyone who's father has lots of land is suspect.

Even as army chief, which his dad wasn't, Prayuth was only pulling 1.4 million per year. Those on lesser ranks get substantially less, so how the hell did they amass land valuing 600 million baht. We have a sneaking suspicion!

Even as army chief, which his dad wasn't, Prayuth was only pulling 1.4 million per year. Those on lesser ranks get substantially less, so how the hell did they amass land valuing 600 million baht. We have a sneaking suspicion!

The value of land may have exploded depending on location. Especially rice fields very close to expanding cities are nice to have.

A better question would be how come daddy had land, but it would seem lots of Thai have daddies with land, especially in the rural areas.

Interesting how you suggest without saying.

Something you would know all about, eh?

Interesting how you suggest without saying.

Something you would know all about, eh?

Somehow when you reply bit and pieces of what you reply to seem to disappear. Probably a faulty keyboard ?

My full reply was

"Interesting how you suggest without saying.. Almost as if anyone who's father has lots of land is suspect.

The value of land may have exploded depending on location. Especially rice fields very close to expanding cities are nice to have.

A better question would be how come daddy had land, but it would seem lots of Thai have daddies with land, especially in the rural areas.

Curious. You don't seem to use that argument when it comes to the Thaksin clan. One standard for those you like vs. those you dislike it seems.

However, I digress. This isn't about the general's father, the retired colonel. Would you care to take a stab at explaining how the general amassed his fortune on his salary, taking into consideration his self described "non business skills"?

I ask because the general hasn't provided an explanation. This unresolved matter is important as it is part and parcel of the issue of corruption in Thailand. There cannot be shades of corruption. As long as there is a lack of transparency as to the origin of senior military officers' large fortunes, any attempt to address the issue of corruption will be undermined.

The one issue that unites most everyone on TVF is the belief that corruption is wrong and that it has damaged the nation. I expect that almost all of us would gladly pillory any and all corrupt officials, regardless of political affiliation. Unfortunately, until the people with the responsibility for the clean up are shown to be clean and unbiased in their approach, all this talk of doing battle against corruption is just hot air.

Edited by geriatrickid

I've got a friend who just bought a condo in central Bangkok. In that area are many old housing compounds that have been there for years. He's met some of the families living there. When their parents moved in, it was where people from Bangkok would go on weekends to get out of the city. I'm talking the area around Ekamai, and some 40+ years ago or so. Lots of old Thai style houses that are now surrounded by very tall condo buildings. We look down on them from their condo.

I'd bet they bought them for next to nothing and are worth an amazing amount of money now. Some of these compounds have 6-10 houses on them, with a central gate at the street, and are mainly occupied by various members of the family now. It's easy to see how some here have made big money off real estate. Somewhat like what's happened to land owners in New York City and London over the years. Even today with rapidly rising prices.

"....will kick off soon"

Coming from a guy who is career army and has been self-appointed PM for over a year. Ask him to define 'soon.' Is that like the Thai word for zero?

"....will kick off soon" , like, 'as soon as I square things away with my biz and my buddies 'loose ends', then we'll kick off the anti-corruption campaign.'

Curious. You don't seem to use that argument when it comes to the Thaksin clan. One standard for those you like vs. those you dislike it seems.

However, I digress. This isn't about the general's father, the retired colonel. Would you care to take a stab at explaining how the general amassed his fortune on his salary, taking into consideration his self described "non business skills"?

I ask because the general hasn't provided an explanation. This unresolved matter is important as it is part and parcel of the issue of corruption in Thailand. There cannot be shades of corruption. As long as there is a lack of transparency as to the origin of senior military officers' large fortunes, any attempt to address the issue of corruption will be undermined.

The one issue that unites most everyone on TVF is the belief that corruption is wrong and that it has damaged the nation. I expect that almost all of us would gladly pillory any and all corrupt officials, regardless of political affiliation. Unfortunately, until the people with the responsibility for the clean up are shown to be clean and unbiased in their approach, all this talk of doing battle against corruption is just hot air.

Have I ever made remarks on Thaksin clan land, do they even own lots of land inherited from daddy?

I digress as this is not on how much land either Prayut or Thaksin inherited, this is about a war on corruption to be started (again). Previous battles were lost, even the last one when Ms. Yingluck paid special attention. Still, let's be optimistic, it's a nice Sunday.

Maybe I've been sleeping for a year, but I thought this war on corruption started last year?? I thought it must have been a bumped old thread - had to check the date.

Edited by tropo

A post containing a link to an external site containing dangerous content regarding the Monarchy has been removed. Review this forum rule and pay attention to the part that has been set in bold:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.