3 Veterinary Medicine Questions.

I have 3 questions that may have each individually been answered already but cannot find in my search. Let me preface by saying that I do have a Veterinary Science degree and worked in the field for many years in my LBT (Life Before Thailand).

1: Anyone know where in the Phuket area that sell medical and dental instruments? Forceps, scrapers, periodontal probes, etc? Phuket area would be the best. But I could pick things up on one of my trips to BKK if need be.

2: Before I left, propofol was not a controlled anesthetic drug in the US, just a prescription level drug. Anyone know the status here? Is it OTC?

3. Is Veterinary Medicine one of the protected jobs in Thailand? Would love to get into the field again if possible. If not, then I can still work with my own pets if I can get 1 and 2 without problems, mostly in the dental cleaning field.

Thanks all.

1 Instrumentation --------------------No idea

2, Dangerous anaesthetic agent? ............... ask the local "pharmacist" for a supply !

3. Get licensed to practice in Thailand! Easy to do , ...........just pass the exams which can only be sat using the Thai language !

Edited by nzexpat

Q1: Anyone know where in the Phuket area that sell medical and dental instruments? Forceps, scrapers, periodontal probes, etc? Phuket area would be the best. But I could pick things up on one of my trips to BKK if need be.

Answer to Q1: ask Soi Dog Foundation

Q2: Before I left, propofol was not a controlled anesthetic drug in the US, just a prescription level drug. Anyone know the status here? Is it OTC?

Answer to Q2: ask Soi Dog Foundation

3. Is Veterinary Medicine one of the protected jobs in Thailand? Would love to get into the field again if possible. If not, then I can still work with my own pets if I can get 1 and 2 without problems, mostly in the dental cleaning field.

Answer to Q3: I doubt you, as a foreigner, can start your own vet business, but best ask Soi Dog Foundation. And when you are at it, you may offer some volunteer dental cleaning work on the many dogs under Soi Dog Foundation's care.

(Did I mention Soi Dog Foundation on Phuket already? ;):P )

"...Occupations prohibited to foreigners A regulation issued under the 1978 Act set out a list of 39 occupations that are prohibited to foreigners. This will continue to apply until a new regulation is issued. The prohibited occupations are:

2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fisheries excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision..."

Can't substantiate it but was told, YES! Pertaining to your 3rd question.

Perhaps, you can further seek a more defined answer as to whether you can practise Vet. Medicine under 'animal husbandry'.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...