Thai gay man falls victim to online love scam

Chon Buri:- A Thai gay man working at a Pattaya coffee shop was deceived to wire Bt32,000 to help secure release of his dream farang man who claimed to have been arrested by immigration officers on his way to marry him.

Jetrin Boonmarong, 21, from Sukhothai's Muaeng district, filed the complaint with the Pattaya police station at 1 pm Thurday.

Jetrin, who works as a cashier at the P.M. Coffee Shop in South Pattaya, said he applied for a membership of an online dating website for gay men on May 10.

He then met a contact who claimed to be a businessman with the name of Richard Edward, 32. Jetrin said the person, who claimed to be Edward, showed his handsome picture in well-dressed clothes to him.

Jetrin said he had been in online relationship with the man until Edward claimed he would come to meet him at Pattaya and would bring money to invest in a gay bar in Pattaya.

The Thai man said he received a phone call from Edward at 11 am on Wednesday, saying he had arrived at the Phuket International Airport but he was stopped by immigration police.

Jetrin said he was told that Edward brought in US$300,000 in cash and he was fined Bt75,000. Jetrin was told that Edward had paid Bt50,000 fine and was short of Bt25,000 cash.

Edward then had Jetrin talk to a Thai woman, who claimed to be an immigration officer. The woman confirmed that Edward had been arrested and told Jetrin to transfer Bt25,000 to her Kasikorn bank account in the name of Wanpen Samiphet.

Jetrin said he wired Bt25,000 to the account and then the woman called again, saying he had to pay the operation fee of Bt7,000 as well.

Jetrin said he wired the money immediately, hoping to meet Edward soon.

But after he transferred the money, he has never been contacted by the farang again so he realized he was deceived.

Gender/Sexual orientation equality in motion. Don't you just love it! thumbsup.gif

EDIT: Actually, I'm now thinking it might have been that dodgy looking bloke at Starfarks that's been giving me the odd wink and a discounted Bonhoffie pie now and again over the last few months. Damnit - instant coffee at home for me from now on!

Edited by Gsxrnz

Gender/Sexual orientation equality in motion. Don't you just love it! thumbsup.gif

EDIT: Actually, I'm now thinking it might have been that dodgy looking bloke at Starfarks that's been giving me the odd wink and a discounted Bonhoffie pie now and again over the last few months. Damnit - instant coffee at home for me from now on!

That must be such a big problem for you ... being winked at. rolleyes.gif

Why would 'Edward' have been short of Bt 25,000 if he had available US$300,000 in cash?

It seems a bit like to me that that the scammer scammed the scammer.....Do they call it karma....facepalm.gif

Don't worry, you are not that good looking, the guy concerned I found out through a retired 4 star, is near sighted cheesy.gif

This goes on everywhere, an 85 year old man just lost 22 grand in Perth OZ from a pretty young thing in darkest Africa, although I noticed the media didn't describe the victim as straight or Hetrosexual, you take these match - making sites like a grain of salt , something like I do with the ruling Junta Administration coffee1.gif

It's actually a pretty clever niche, which is why I think the perp has done this before.

Go after Thais with normal jobs and modest income who you have determined would be able somehow to raise such a modest amount if under the stress of losing their dream.

The dream?

A handsome foreigner much richer than them coming to bring them "love" and a much better class of life.

So yes like all classic scams the perp goes after a moral weakness in the victim ... in this case unrealistic hope without ever even meeting the person.

Online the perp could be any age, nationality, sex, appearance, etc.

Also, getting victimized by such a scam is of course very embarrassing ... so of course the vast majority of victims do not report these crimes.

Edited by Jingthing

Wonder why the "gay" aspect of the case was such a major point in the story. I mean this is Thailand, 45% of the men here are gay, so whats the novelty?

Agree that the gay aspect is only for sensation but your estimate of percentage of Thai men who are identified as gay men is just absurd.

Wonder why the "gay" aspect of the case was such a major point in the story. I mean this is Thailand, 45% of the men here are gay, so whats the novelty?

Agree that the gay aspect is only for sensation but your estimate of percentage of Thai men who are identified as gay men is just absurd.

Every Thai, Male or Female, is two shots of Johnny Walker away from being bi-sexual.

Every Thai, Male or Female, is two shots of Johnny Walker away from being bi-sexual.
You're confused. Having gay sex does not mean you have a gay identity. The majority of gay men have had straight sex. Does that make them straight? No.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt that 45% are actually gay, but I would say that the percentage you quote and maybe more certainly have a very feminine aspect about them.

I doubt that 45% are actually gay, but I would say that the percentage you quote and maybe more certainly have a very feminine aspect about them.

So gays are feminine huh? Tell that to bears.

number to low you reckon..........................coffee1.gif

I said they have a very feminine aspect about them, I didn't say gays are feminine that's your (wrong as usual) interpretation of my comment.

I said they have a very feminine aspect about them, I didn't say gays are feminine that's your (wrong as usual) interpretation of my comment.

I don't see why you even brought up femininity perception in this context than to connect that to gayness.

Edited by Jingthing

number to low you reckon..........................coffee1.gif

Nope. Likely about international levels of two percent.

I don't see why you even brought up femininity perception in this context then except to link it.

Read it however you like and have a nice night. coffee1.gif

In case you missed it, the trend amongst people under 30 has been to the metrosexual look. It sort of drops off in the early 30's.

One of the problems with many people in TVF is that their demographic skews to the elderly Caucasian segment. A large number can be considered to be living in a different era, surrounded by others who think that Def Leppard or Deep Purple are the hip bands of today. Many of the German members probably think Heino is what the youngsters are listening to today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAuNnsyK2Y

It's actually a pretty clever niche, which is why I think the perp has done this before.

Go after Thais with normal jobs and modest income who you have determined would be able somehow to raise such a modest amount if under the stress of losing their dream.

The dream?

A handsome foreigner much richer than them coming to bring them "love" and a much better class of life.

So yes like all classic scams the perp goes after a moral weakness in the victim ... in this case unrealistic hope without ever even meeting the person.

Online the perp could be any age, nationality, sex, appearance, etc.

Also, getting victimized by such a scam is of course very embarrassing ... so of course the vast majority of victims do not report these crimes.

Happening a lot with Thai women with jobs and men from "USA/UK/Norway, etc".

Thai/Farang/Man/Woman/Gay etc it doesn't make a difference, they try it with everyone......And everyone is equal stupid.

one of the few thing were people are equal.......Oh NO!! I forgot we still have double pricing, in the stories from Europe the scammer wanted lots more money than in Thailand.

Yes I think that's where this poster got confused. A large proportion of Asian men seem to be relatively effeminate. That doesn't mean they are gay. Edited by alex88