Pet Friendly Hotels or Resorts?

cneuy3

Does anybody know of any resorts/hotels in Chiang Rai that allow pets? and by pets I mean my two full grown Golden Retrievers:)

I'm doing a visa re-entry next week up in Mae Sai and thought about taking them and then spending a night somewhere near Chiang Rai. I'd love to find a place that had a decent lake/pool area for them to swim and play but I'm sure I can venture off and find that somewhere if the resort doesn't accommodate it. Still interested in a place for them to rest though.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cneuy3

We have tried taking our Golden on a few road trips but finding accommodation other than staying with friends is always difficult. The first answer is almost always “no” if it is a big dog and a “maybe” if it is small. Sometimes they will change their minds after meeting our dog but not always.

It is understandable though. The hair, drool, possible smells, tracked in dirt, spilled water from a drinking bowl and the need to pee and poop. Most adults seem to be afraid of big dogs, just because they are big, unless they have big dogs of their own. There is also the chance some stray dogs may not appreciate a strange dog on their turf even if your dog is very well behaved.
Anyway we have stopped trying to take her with us.

I think there's always a problem taking a dog off his regular "turf" in Thailand.

Local dogs roam freely and are highly territorial so there is a high risk of attack when walking your pet, even on the lead.

May I add that numbers have a lot to do with attacks as well. The larger the pack the greater the chance of things getting out of hand.

Reading the information on 8mile it is clear to me that their attitude, small dog and cleanliness help considerably in gaining access to hotels. Personally I would never allow our dog on the furniture or bed, but that is just me, and hotel staff would have no way of knowing that in advance.

I can see the potential for a different couple with a different attitude, a big or dirty dog and a lack of consideration for cleaning staff and future guests to end up getting a very different reception from any of these hotels.
As with many situations in Thailand, rules are seldom hard and fast, and depend more on ones ability to adapt to Thai culture. All it takes is one very inconsiderate guest to affect the attitude of a hotel owner toward future guests and their pets.

Even the best, well trained dog is going to get nervous in strange surroundings and bark at any suspicious noise, e.g. the door of the room next door closing so pet friendly hotels would want pet friendly guests as well.

It's not just a Thailand problem, a search for listed pet friendly accommodation in Adelaide, Australia, a city of over a million people reveals two, one of which is a "walking trails" type place.

I suspect most dog owners in the western world are restricted to caravan parks and camping grounds.

Even the best, well trained dog is going to get nervous in strange surroundings and bark at any suspicious noise, e.g. the door of the room next door closing so pet friendly hotels would want pet friendly guests as well.

It's not just a Thailand problem, a search for listed pet friendly accommodation in Adelaide, Australia, a city of over a million people reveals two, one of which is a "walking trails" type place.

I suspect most dog owners in the western world are restricted to caravan parks and camping grounds.

In the UK and Ireland I have never had any problem in taking my dogs on holiday with me, staying either at B&Bs, small hotels or renting a cottage. Indeed one B&B in Scotland had a letterhead which said "ALL DOGS AND WELL BEHAVED CHILDREN WELCOME".

Here, however, I have never found anywhere with the same attitude