The secret lives of Thailand's counterfeiters

webfact

The secret lives of Thailand's counterfeiters
By Richard Ehrlich, for CNN

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN)On streets in Bangkok and in some of its glistening air-conditioned malls, countless counterfeit Rolexes, DVDs, Gucci fashion accessories and other products are openly on sale.

Foreign tourists flock to Thailand's ubiquitous street markets, fascinated by the look and feel of the high-quality counterfeit goods openly on display and the cheap prices shouted out by touts.

The ambiance of carefree shopping in public for such items make many tourists blasé about committing a crime they might never consider back home.

They also see Thais eagerly purchasing the same items, lending an illusion of acceptability, even though everyone knows the goods are illegal and might get confiscated by international customs agents who often impose heavy fines.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/15/travel/thailand-counterfeiters-fake/

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-06-16

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Not counterfeits, merely unauthorized copies. A counterfeit only has value if it fools someone into thinking it is the real thing. The purchasers of knock-off products like those listed do not believe they are genuine. Overwhelmingly, they are not people who would pony up to buy genuine if the copy were not available. Therefore, the holder of the trademark suffers no loss at all from the sale of unauthorized copies and it should not be illegal. Louis Vuitton once admitted that unauthorized copies do not result in lost sales for them.

The strange thing is that none of those high quality counterfeits is produced in Thailand, but they all come from neighboring countries, merely because no Thai is able to produce something of quality.

Now would those countries produce those counterfeits for Thailand only? I doubt that.

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

What prompts you to write such derogatory rubbish?

Thailand produces many high quality products exported around the world. Cars and motorcycles come first to mind.

Hmm how about yor samsung phone or tv?

How much Thai know-how went into making those? facepalm.gif Thailand provides cheap labor to make things that were invented in the West using machines and techniques that were invented in the West for factory owners from the West.

How much Thai know-how went into making those? facepalm.gif Thailand provides cheap labor to make things that were invented in the West using machines and techniques that were invented in the West for factory owners from the West.

So they weren't made by Thais? Who did make them then?

Most things produced here in thailand of any real quality are from japanese-korean owned companys, the knowhow and technology is not thai, the reason they are here is for cheap thai labor,

These same companies can up root in a heart beat to any country where the labor is cheaper and or politically more stable as many have done in the past,

Quality pure thai products seem almost impossible to find, i have tried a few but most broke after a few days or did,nt actually work out the box,

Does thailand even produce a thai developed car?, products from japanese factories or tuk tuks not included

Most things produced here in thailand of any real quality are from japanese-korean owned companys, the knowhow and technology is not thai, the reason they are here is for cheap thai labor,

These same companies can up root in a heart beat to any country where the labor is cheaper and or politically more stable as many have done in the past,

Quality pure thai products seem almost impossible to find, i have tried a few but most broke after a few days or did,nt actually work out the box,

Does thailand even produce a thai developed car?, products from japanese factories or tuk tuks not included

Actually they do - cop the sweet curves on this Thai designed car....

http://www.thairung.co.th/en/tr_tranformer.php

Can you name just 2 quality Thai products?

F.Y.I. Toyota or Samsung aren't Thai.

Thairung is an Isuzu with modified body work. Isuzu isn't Thai

Most things are made by machines just like in other countries it doesn't take much skill in operating the machines hence companies look for low wage environments with good infrastructure and logistics. The talent is in the engineering, design and marketing.

Unfair to say Thais couldn't produce high quality items though because of the poor education standards they are at a disadvantage in engineering and design.

Most things are made by machines just like in other countries it doesn't take much skill in operating the machines hence companies look for low wage environments with good infrastructure and logistics. The talent is in the engineering, design and marketing.

Unfair to say Thais couldn't produce high quality items though because of the poor education standards they are at a disadvantage in engineering and design.

But it are only Thais that are to blame for those poor education standards, isn't it?

Thairung is an Isuzu with modified body work. Isuzu isn't Thai

Credit where credit is due surely. Thairung have taken a Japanese vehicle and improved it with their world beating design team to give it a new aerodynamic profile to improve performance similar to what AMG do for Mercedes and Alpina for BMW.

Anything that requires technology or modern manufacturing techniques in Thailand belongs to other advanced countries. Smartphones, hard disks, scooters, Japanese and American cars and trucks... Just name me one that's all Thai.

The Thais work for advanced countries' companies solely because Thais provide cheap labor.

Edited by NeverSure

But it are only Thais that are to blame for those poor education standards, isn't it?

There also seems to be a culture of Mai pen lai which really doesn't mix well with the concept of efficiency and productivity. That's in addition to a lack of good education.

Edited by NeverSure

Since this is about counterfeit goods we are going off topic.

Fact is that all quality copy goods are made abroad. Watches come from Taiwan and Hong Kong, clothings and accessory come from Vietnam.

What the Thais make can be found on the Friday markets and is called Levies and Amani, which are poor quality with wrong sizes and designs, and those spelling mistakes are not made deliberately by the counterfeiters.

Since this is about counterfeit goods we are going off topic.

Fact is that all quality copy goods are made abroad. Watches come from Taiwan and Hong Kong, clothings and accessory come from Vietnam.

What the Thais make can be found on the Friday markets and is called Levies and Amani, which are poor quality with wrong sizes and designs, and those spelling mistakes are not made deliberately by the counterfeiters.

I did notice over the last few years a small thai family concern which started to produce fishing reels, they are looking quite impressive,

I soon realised the family invested in a nice cnc machine then scanned and copied an american product which is patented.

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

Can you name just 2 quality Thai products?

F.Y.I. Toyota or Samsung aren't Thai.

You just did. They are made in Thailand by Thais.

Just like Holdens are made in Oz by Australians, even though the parent company is US based.

Since you said this, which high quality cars and motorcycles are made and exported "around the world?"

Toyota HiLux, Kawasaki ER-6, Honda PCX for a few. Why do you ask 2 dogs?

All products produced in japanese factories using japanese technology.

All products produced in japanese factories using japanese technology.

In Thailand, by Thais. Did the Japanese have to re-invent the internal combustion engine?

So they weren't made by Thais? Who did make them then?

China. Just a thought "how many things have been invented in the USA" ?

You people are only talking about branding.. Most of the worlds HardDrives are made in Thailand, 2 companies I can think of DELTA and HANA (just to name a couple off the top of my head) make the component parts found in you Apple IPhone and in many of the Android running brands, other Thai manufacturers make parts for laptop computers and just about any other electronic gadget you can think of. These components must be upto world-class standards as if ANY of them fail, your Apple product will fail and no one doubts Apple is not 'quality'.

Thailand is the world leader in rubber and plastics extruders, alot of the worlds Tennis balls are made in Thailand , It is the world leader in plstics extrution.

Anyone who says Thailand manufactureing sector doesn't produce 'quality' is speaking out of ignorance. Compare Thailand's manufacturing sector to any south american country for example. Major reason alot of us expats can get such affordable housing here, I mean the quality and amenities vs. price is what draws alot of us here, is that Thailand has a huge manufacturing base to complement it's tourism sector-which creates a larger middle class-which brings prices down, otherwise we would all be living in Myanmar.

Edited by pkspeaker