Thailand expects dual-track railways to be completed by 2020

webfact

Thailand expects dual-track railways to be completed by 2020
By Reuters / Reuters

BANGKOK (June 17): Thailand's capacity for economic growth should increase when a dual-track railways project is completed in around five years, a deputy prime minister said on Wednesday.

The project is part of the Thai government's wider plan to help boost a slowing economy by strengthening infrastructure and easing logistic costs.

The Southeast Asian nation's trade-dependent economy is stuttering amid slow demand for its exports. The economy grew only 0.9 percent last year.

Thailand is currently heavily dependent on road transport, which accounts for about 75 percent of logistics. Once improved rail and other infrastructure are in place, the economy could grow at an annual rate of 5 to 6 percent, Deputy Prime Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula said at a seminar.

Last month the state planning agency cut its economic growth forecast by half a percentage point to 3.0-4.0 percent for this year.

Full story: http://www.theedgemarkets.com/my/article/thailand-expects-dual-track-railways-be-completed-2020

-- THE EDGE MARKETS 2015-06-17

"when a dual-track railways project is completed in around five years"

I didn't realise that the SRT's track-dualling scheme was that advanced, in fact I thought it was running well behind-schedule, due to long-term underfunding ?

Or perhaps the DPM had some other, perhaps more limited, project in mind ?

"when a dual-track railways project is completed in around five years"

I didn't realise that the SRT's track-dualling scheme was that advanced, in fact I thought it was running well behind-schedule, due to long-term underfunding ?

Or perhaps the DPM had some other, perhaps more limited, project in mind ?

The dual-tracking of 'existing' rail tracks is an ongoing project. Since at least 2011 and probably before planned to be completed 2020 or 2022. Normally a budget allocation in the yearly National Budget. Only 2013/2014 a dip when the then government moved a few costs out of the National Budget and into the 2.2 trillion loan for the infrastructure project. Loan was rejected, but only in the 2014/2015 National Budget allocations were included again.

The new, higher-speed links will be dual-track from the start. The start being one of these days, mostly this decade as well wink.png

I always thought when in Thailand, think of a time then triple or quadruple it?

The delays are mostly while the project is really under way.

The ones now are still planned to last five or six years, but the start has moved along. Since 2014, 2013, 2012. 2011, 2010, 2009 and so back rolleyes.gif