Dinghy, Help!

Jumbo chilli

It may sound crazy but I'm considering bulding a boat(dinghy 12ft.) myself

Yes it does and sounds like a bit of excessive plan for next years rainy season :o

I know nothing about Epoxy Resin but Google is a wonderful tool

http://www.thaiepoxy.com/

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...+RESIN+thailand

Seems to be quite a few places to choose from

Edited by Remo

Thanks for the links Remo but they(links)provide too technical info for me :o and I'm only looking

for a pIace that I can buy small amount(1-2 ltr) of epoxy resin for my boat plan. :D

Thanx

JC

Go to Faculty of Science at CMU I am sure with a few baht someone will happily get 2 ltrs from a store room

Good question....i've been looking for some epoxy in CM for years here and have only found those small tubes at high prices. i hope someone comes up with a source, it's always good to have around the house for repairs and projects.

although I dont anything about Epoxy while trying to find a suggestion my neighbour who works at CMU said they use it a lot in there science faculty for various things

Thats why I suggested if you want a small amount, pop in to the Science unit and I am sure you will get some help

Just an idea really

Good question....i've been looking for some epoxy in CM for years here and have only found those small tubes at high prices. i hope someone comes up with a source, it's always good to have around the house for repairs and projects.

although I dont anything about Epoxy while trying to find a suggestion my neighbour who works at CMU said they use it a lot in there science faculty for various things

Thats why I suggested if you want a small amount, pop in to the Science unit and I am sure you will get some help

Just an idea really

well... I'll drop by C.M and see...... . :o

Thanx for suggestion REMO.

JC

Hi all

It may sound crazy but I'm considering bulding a boat(dinghy 12ft.) myself.

The trouble I'm having with this plan is purchasing EPOXY RESIN.

Does anyone know where and how much?

Thanks in advance

JC

I worked for Boatcraft Pacific (9 years) up til 2004 when I moved to Bangkok. They can send to you from Australia. ATL Composites are the other option as their Boss lives in Phuket but I don't have a contact number for him. Just email them I guess. 12 ft Dinghy I would guess about 10 Litres. Boatcraft have 2-1 mix Epoxy & ATL is 5-1 mix. I would recommend Boatcraft best for you ,cheaper & more error tolorent being 2-1 mix. Boatcraft Epoxy is shipped non-hazardous. ATL Epoxy is like water as they thin it with 50% benzene and is Hazardous. Here are both web addresses for you anyway.

Boatcraft Pacific (Loganholme, Brisbane)

ATL Composites (Gold Coast)

Good luck with the project. First Dinghy? What plywood you using? Is Pacific Maple available in Bangkok? I would recommend it. Email me if you wish.

P.s Don't forget to mention my name to Boatcraft ,Ian Phillips is the Boss there. I was Factory Manager.

I worked for Boatcraft Pacific (9 years) up til 2004 when I moved to Bangkok. They can send to you from Australia. ATL Composites are the other option as their Boss lives in Phuket but I don't have a contact number for him. Just email them I guess. 12 ft Dinghy I would guess about 10 Litres. Boatcraft have 2-1 mix Epoxy & ATL is 5-1 mix. I would recommend Boatcraft best for you ,cheaper & more error tolorent being 2-1 mix. Boatcraft Epoxy is shipped non-hazardous. ATL Epoxy is like water as they thin it with 50% benzene and is Hazardous. Here are both web addresses for you anyway.

Boatcraft Pacific (Loganholme, Brisbane)

ATL Composites (Gold Coast)

Good luck with the project. First Dinghy? What plywood you using? Is Pacific Maple available in Bangkok? I would recommend it. Email me if you wish.

P.s Don't forget to mention my name to Boatcraft ,Ian Phillips is the Boss there. I was Factory Manager.

Thanks for the info L.B :D but importing epoxy from other countries is in my last resolution, I prefer getting stuff locally.

By the way, yes I got marine plywood from local wood yard(wood world) but I don't know what brand it is. I paid 900 baht for a 8' by 6' sheet (7mm).

Thanks again :D

JC

pc: Yes, it's my first project. :o

Thanks for the info L.B :D but importing epoxy from other countries is in my last resolution, I prefer getting stuff locally.

By the way, yes I got marine plywood from local wood yard(wood world) but I don't know what brand it is. I paid 900 baht for a 8' by 6' sheet (7mm).

Thanks again :D

JC

pc: Yes, it's my first project. :o

Ok . Yes just adding my 2cents worth. As for the Plywood don't buy Malaysian it's heavy & delaminates as soon as it hits the water. 900bht (A$32) is same price we were selling Pacific Maple in Brisbane.

Lindsay

i am about to give you virtually useless information, but since no one else has said anything about a local supplier i think this may at least point you in the right direction.

i was out walking the other day. i got lost, as i frequently do, so can not tell you exactly where i was, but it was up around the super hwy, or perhaps on nimmenhamem (sp), near huey kaew. there is a plastics supplier up there. appears to have fiberglass and resins, but i did not stop as i wasn't looking for that. just thought it unusual enough to key a reminder.

you'll need to do some looking on your own to find it. chain link gate with plants and a nice looking show room. looks like he supplies the hardware stores and others. wholesale operation is what it looked like. no idea what the name is. just trying to let you know it does exist and about where.

if you find it, post results.

good luck.

i am about to give you virtually useless information, but since no one else has said anything about a local supplier i think this may at least point you in the right direction.

i was out walking the other day. i got lost, as i frequently do, so can not tell you exactly where i was, but it was up around the super hwy, or perhaps on nimmenhamem (sp), near huey kaew. there is a plastics supplier up there. appears to have fiberglass and resins, but i did not stop as i wasn't looking for that. just thought it unusual enough to key a reminder.

you'll need to do some looking on your own to find it. chain link gate with plants and a nice looking show room. looks like he supplies the hardware stores and others. wholesale operation is what it looked like. no idea what the name is. just trying to let you know it does exist and about where.

if you find it, post results.

good luck.

Thanks for the info, Altman.

Now, I'm on my way. :o

you can get epoxy resin in small ammounts from any of the *many* stores that sell pipes/tubing and basic hardware supplies (like hacksaws, etc). when I saw it, it was 200 THB for 2 relatively large tubes (resin and hardener). maybe two or three times the size of a thing of JB weld.

I would be interested in what ever you find out there [prices and quantaties] and the exact location....if you find it. please post it or pm me.

thanks in advance,

jd

I've just found one shop that sells EPOXY RESIN but it was way too expensive.(1,ooo baht for half a litter!!) :D

The shop is located near P.R.C(prince royals college) main gate(it's name is "ER" but don't expect it to be written in English, I actually walked in to this shop and asked if they know :o

You can simply ask people around.

If youre looking for filler, I found EPOXY PUTTY in Global House(newly opened super store similar to Home Pro)and very cheap.

Hope it'd help. :D

JC

I would be interested in what ever you find out there [prices and quantaties] and the exact location....if you find it. please post it or pm me.

thanks in advance,

jd

I've just found one shop that sells EPOXY RESIN but it was way too expensive.(1,ooo baht for half a litter!!) :D

The shop is located near P.R.C(prince royals college) main gate(it's name is "ER" but don't expect it to be written in English, I actually walked in to this shop and asked if they know :o

You can simply ask people around.

If youre looking for filler, I found EPOXY PUTTY in Global House(newly opened super store similar to Home Pro)and very cheap.

Hope it'd help. :D

JC

Good epoxy resin is rather dear anywhere. I pay about 3,000 baht for 5 litres in Canada.

If you are building a boat, regardless of size, you do want to use epoxy resin rather than fiberglass resin. Fiberglass resin seldom adheres (long term) properly to wood unless it is supersaturated.

.....Ken

Resin (polyester or epoxy) is available in BKK at a minimum of 1 barrel. (around 200 liters) 1 barrel is about 12000 baht as far as i remember.

If enough people are interessed we could get together...i might need some too, but not 200 liters.

PK

Resin (polyester or epoxy) is available in BKK at a minimum of 1 barrel. (around 200 liters) 1 barrel is about 12000 baht as far as i remember.

If enough people are interessed we could get together...i might need some too, but not 200 liters.

PK

Sound's good.

Count me in Horisize, I'll take up 10 to 15 liters. :o

PK

Sound's good.

Count me in Horisize, I'll take up 10 to 15 liters. :D

ok...so...170 liters to go..

:o

anyone else?

• 1 year later...

PK

Sound's good.

:D

anyone else?

Where is this place? Do you have the contact info or do we have to go thru you?

Thanks... :o

• 5 months later...

PK

Sound's good.

:D

anyone else?

Where is this place? Do you have the contact info or do we have to go thru you?

Thanks... :o

This question has been going around for quite a while without a good answer.

I cant give you a good answer but heres my best advice.

Get yourself to Pattaya or Phuket where they have alot of boat building workshops.

You'll have little trouble locateing it there.

If needed you could send back home it by post.