Cruise Control

Ron19

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The National Safety Commission Alerts

Safety is No Accident. Visit the National Safety Commission - America's Safety Headquarters for driver safety information, auto recalls and teen safe driver tips.

An automobile's cruise control is a valuable piece of technology. Along with saving gas, the benefit of cruise control is its ability to prevent a driver from exceeding the speed limit. A driver who sets the cruise control at the posted speed limit can pass police officers and cruise through radar sites without having to worry about whether or not they are speeding. Cruise control can save drivers a lot of money in gas and speeding tickets but cruise control can have a down side too. Someone who relies on cruise control too much may find themselves on "auto-pilot" and neglect to pay full attention to their driving. A driver still needs to devote full attention to the road and have a "seat-of-the-pants" feel for their vehicle. This is especially true when driving in the rain.

Rain presents two distinct dangers to a driver; both with essentially the same end result. After a dry spell of any period, accumulated oil, grease, and dirt on the road can create extremely slippery conditions. The roads are most dangerous just after it starts to rain when a light sheen of water is standing on the road. The oil, grease etc. rise up in a layer on top of the water creating conditions similar to ice on the road. It creates such a problem during the summer thunderstorm period in the southeast that it is referred to as "Florida ice." After a period of heavy rain, the oil and grease will wash off the road and the slippery conditions diminish.

Heavy rain however creates a separate and equally dangerous situation. When water stands on the road, it can become deep enough that the tires can’t squeeze the water through the tread fast enough. When this happens, the tires can actually rise up on top of the water and ride across the water like water skis creating a condition known as "hydroplaning." Hydroplaning can start at speeds as low as 35 mph and becomes especially dangerous at speeds above 55 mph. The higher the speed, the greater the chance of hydroplaning.

In either situation, the first step a driver should take to counteract skidding is to take his/her foot off the gas pedal in order to slow the car's speed. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, you shouldn't apply the brakes until you have the car under control and the speed is reduced. Applying the brakes in a car without anti-lock brakes only adds to the problem. Grasp the steering wheel in both hands, steer toward the direction of the skid and then steer to keep your car centered in your lane.

This is where cruise control presents a problem. Cruise control will want to keep your vehicle going at a constant speed and speed only adds to the problem. Cruise control is disabled when you step on the brakes but that is exactly what you don’t want to do in a skidding situation unless your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes. The safest thing to do when it starts to rain is to disengage the cruise control and lower your speed. Driving in the rain really requires heightened awareness and that seat-of-the-pants feel for the car. Save your cruise control for fair weather.

Hmm, funny this, it is saying the exact same thing I've been criticized here for, by saying that too much of a good thing ( I.E. technology) can be bad for your driving skills and drivers become complacent and too reliant on it essentially on auto pilot , guess I was right after all? whistling.gif In spite of the haters and critics.. Not likely to get apologies or credit for it though, that takes some people to admit they're actually wrong and man enough to admit it coffee1.gif .

No they're not -= they are pointing out the phsychological effects of various techno advances on driving - you just claim to be better than that.....read it again and learn

Those who are negative about the sensible use of cruise control have probably never been shown how to use it properly. It saves fuel, makes you plan well ahead (as all drivers should but few do) and comes with a "cancel" switch, no need to brake to cancel it.

Probably the same ones who have no idea what would happen if their ABS cut in under heavy braking because they have never familarized themselves with it in non emergency conditions. (i.e unusual noise and pulsating brake pedal)

Edited by Lancashirelad

Safety is No Accident. Visit the National Safety Commission - America's Safety Headquarters for driver safety information, auto recalls and teen safe driver tips.

An automobile's cruise control is a valuable piece of technology. Along with saving gas, the benefit of cruise control is its ability to prevent a driver from exceeding the speed limit. A driver who sets the cruise control at the posted speed limit can pass police officers and cruise through radar sites without having to worry about whether or not they are speeding. Cruise control can save drivers a lot of money in gas and speeding tickets but cruise control can have a down side too. Someone who relies on cruise control too much may find themselves on "auto-pilot" and neglect to pay full attention to their driving. A driver still needs to devote full attention to the road and have a "seat-of-the-pants" feel for their vehicle. This is especially true when driving in the rain.

Rain presents two distinct dangers to a driver; both with essentially the same end result. After a dry spell of any period, accumulated oil, grease, and dirt on the road can create extremely slippery conditions. The roads are most dangerous just after it starts to rain when a light sheen of water is standing on the road. The oil, grease etc. rise up in a layer on top of the water creating conditions similar to ice on the road. It creates such a problem during the summer thunderstorm period in the southeast that it is referred to as "Florida ice." After a period of heavy rain, the oil and grease will wash off the road and the slippery conditions diminish.

Heavy rain however creates a separate and equally dangerous situation. When water stands on the road, it can become deep enough that the tires can’t squeeze the water through the tread fast enough. When this happens, the tires can actually rise up on top of the water and ride across the water like water skis creating a condition known as "hydroplaning." Hydroplaning can start at speeds as low as 35 mph and becomes especially dangerous at speeds above 55 mph. The higher the speed, the greater the chance of hydroplaning.

In either situation, the first step a driver should take to counteract skidding is to take his/her foot off the gas pedal in order to slow the car's speed. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, you shouldn't apply the brakes until you have the car under control and the speed is reduced. Applying the brakes in a car without anti-lock brakes only adds to the problem. Grasp the steering wheel in both hands, steer toward the direction of the skid and then steer to keep your car centered in your lane.

This is where cruise control presents a problem. Cruise control will want to keep your vehicle going at a constant speed and speed only adds to the problem. Cruise control is disabled when you step on the brakes but that is exactly what you don’t want to do in a skidding situation unless your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes. The safest thing to do when it starts to rain is to disengage the cruise control and lower your speed. Driving in the rain really requires heightened awareness and that seat-of-the-pants feel for the car. Save your cruise control for fair weather.

Hmm, funny this, it is saying the exact same thing I've been criticized here for, by saying that too much of a good thing ( I.E. technology) can be bad for your driving skills and drivers become complacent and too reliant on it essentially on auto pilot , guess I was right after all? whistling.gif In spite of the haters and critics.. Not likely to get apologies or credit for it though, that takes some people to admit they're actually wrong and man enough to admit it coffee1.gif .

No they're not -= they are pointing out the phsychological effects of various techno advances on driving - you just claim to be better than that.....read it again and learn

Nonsense, but since only posts attacking me are allowed to stand, the response I had no longer exists, this place sucks, lately!! And no one even acknowledges the deletion or reasoning any more? Not that there was any valid reasoning behind it...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Unfortunately "never had a problem" and making baseless guesses as to whether someone has used CC or not are pointless arguments with little or no validity and simply serve to show how poor some people are at putting forward an argument. I've used CC extensively and on 4 different continents but I wouldn't be so foolish as to base my judgement purely on personal experience

It is the information from research that has value - if you don't like it then put up an argument against it....simply guessing isn't good enough - and again I say the plural of anecdote isn't data - so regard you personal experience for what it is - unscientific and anecdotal.........Research has shown the problems and ipso facto part of that research shows that motorists are unaware of the problems......

Edited by cumgranosalum

Never had a problem here. use it all the time.

Care to share which particular roads your drive on all the time using CC? Unless you are travelling at 20kph in the slow lane with it on I find no logical way you would need CC in Thailand. How the heck do you avoid the cars overtaking and then cutting you off, the large trucks pulling out in front of you to pass a motorbike driving down the wrong side of the road, vehicles coming onto the road out of side sois without looking, kids running into the road, potholes, the list is endless "all the time" in Thailand? So a little explanation would help us understand thanks?

Care to share which particular roads your drive on all the time using CC? Unless you are travelling at 20kph in the slow lane with it on I find no logical way you would need CC in Thailand. How the heck do you avoid the cars overtaking and then cutting you off, the large trucks pulling out in front of you to pass a motorbike driving down the wrong side of the road, vehicles coming onto the road out of side sois without looking, kids running into the road, potholes, the list is endless "all the time" in Thailand? So a little explanation would help us understand thanks?

I will give you and answer as I use it almost all the time as well.

First off I don't live in BKK or any tourist aria. Live in K.P.Phet city??? just off the 1/32 road from BKK to Chang Mai. If you have ever used the road you would know it is almost empty of traffic well 98% of the time, at night there are lot's of lorries using it but rarely use the car night time, and never in C/C.

Had to go to N/Sawan only yesterday distance of just over 100km other than two sets of traffic lights used C/C set at 110kpm all the way. Nothing came out of side roads there's only a couple anyway. M/C very few so their never a problem.

Also use it on the occasions 'quite a lot' I have to go to BKK airport some 400km, from K.P.Phet set then around 120+ till just short of Ayutthaya then there's to much stupid traffic.

On again round the 9 that's 120kph speed limit and they have speed cameras 500bt if you go over that so set the C/C at just under and since then never had a ticket. Same on the run back up. It all depends where you live big town/BKK don't bother except maybe on the expressway.

Whatever anytime I'm on the 1/32, round the edge of town here even for short journeys it's on, got it use it.

As regards over/under taking just put foot on the gas and off you go, it'll revert to the pre-set speed once off the gas.

If the roads are very clear I do bung it up to whatever??? you do that by just lifting the lever up to quicken down to lessen your speed.

Passing traffic cutting in not a problem only if you go below 120 then you will have to stay in a slower lane swapping into the fast one as and when. Stick it up with the fast boys and your away. Have used it once or twice at 150+ that's when it gets hairy so goes off.

Thanks for that Reply, but Mr W Noodle makes valid points too .If im on a long run and cant enjoy it due to Thai Royalty putting the Lazy Poor Folks back on the Road to Riches i go into "LIMP MODE", engage Cruze, and pray for the next Amazon.

I drive in Loei and can do what I want when I want and do not come across any of your problems, maybe I can drive a little better than some others.

Thanks for that Reply, but Mr W Noodle makes valid points too .If im on a long run and cant enjoy it due to Thai Royalty putting the Lazy Poor Folks back on the Road to Riches i go into "LIMP MODE", engage Cruze, and pray for the next Amazon.

I didn't make any valid point well don't think so just said how and why I can use it. Point of order how do you go into cruze mode stick a brick on the gas peddle. 'Joking' as I didn't think you have cruse on your car.

You'll like this AOP I didn't use C/C on the way back from N/S yesterday as was having a go with a newish Range Rover I know that you like them.

He only thought that his Limo was faster/better than my all singing all dancing Spivo.

Whether it was I didn't find out. I know the road like the back of my hand so know what speed you can do without killing yourself and 180+kph is fast enough for anyone, he obviously didn't and had a few very near misses at one time nearly going down the void in the middle of the road.

I gave up, so your right a R/R is quicker than a Spivo. Or it could be that my Butt is not as good as it used to be.

Whatever arrived back home rather sharpish, must admit a few Lt of diesel lighter in the tank though.

I use cruise control all the time it is fantastic and would never buy a car without it.

Are you in LOS......?..............laugh.png

I am and love my cruise control here.
I think you will have most of the peeps that don't have it C/C that is say that they don't like it or even it's crap, but once they do have it they will change their minds.

In England it's more than useless but here with our open roads, 'Not in BKK I grant you' it a Buddha sent.

Yes, I've had that discussion here in the past and see no point in repeating it.

I use cruise control and am very happy with it, even stronger, when I bought a new car cruise control was a prerequisite. I really don't care what others on TV think of it.

Edited by stevenl

I didn't make any valid point well don't think so just said how and why I can use it. Point of order how do you go into cruze mode stick a brick on the gas peddle. 'Joking' as I didn't think you have cruse on your car.

You'll like this AOP I didn't use C/C on the way back from N/S yesterday as was having a go with a newish Range Rover I know that you like them.

He only thought that his Limo was faster/better than my all singing all dancing Spivo.

Whether it was I didn't find out. I know the road like the back of my hand so know what speed you can do without killing yourself and 180+kph is fast enough for anyone, he obviously didn't and had a few very near misses at one time nearly going down the void in the middle of the road.

I gave up, so your right a R/R is quicker than a Spivo. Or it could be that my Butt is not as good as it used to be.

Whatever arrived back home rather sharpish, must admit a few Lt of diesel lighter in the tank though.

I like the Range Rover, that is true My first was a 2 Door bought second hand in Lisbon 40 years ago for the price of a Ford Taunus. Lets put it to rest about Spivo,i had the same Bargirls Choise as You for my Daughter same time. My last 2 Vogues were nice,but sorry the Mitsu beats the Toyo hands down in its class re handling.I think a Leo Can at my age suits me better,or a Crafty Visit to Walking Street gigglem.gifthumbsup.gif

I drive in Loei and can do what I want when I want and do not come across any of your problems, maybe I can drive a little better than some others.

sounds like a highly dubious motoring philosophy to me.........

I like the Range Rover, that is true My first was a 2 Door bought second hand in Lisbon 40 years ago for the price of a Ford Taunus. Lets put it to rest about Spivo,i had the same Bargirls Choise as You for my Daughter same time. My last 2 Vogues were nice,but sorry the Mitsu beats the Toyo hands down in its class re handling.I think a Leo Can at my age suits me better,or a Crafty Visit to Walking Street gigglem.gifthumbsup.gif
Little story a few years ago had to do a visa run to Thi Li as Mae Sot was closed.

Happened to get behind a mob from a BKK Motor car club. All the cars several were white Spivos even the last one a Mitsu was white why was it last well it couldn't keep up.

I don't know if anyone knows that aria but it's very hilly and bendy bringing up the rear I could see most of the cars as they ventured round the bends the Spivos leaned as they would but the rear valance only dropped but some 2/3" the Mitsu dropped by at least 8" + and crabbed round the corners this went on for KM, so it didn't happen just once. Since then they to us mob have been known as the Pisa as in the leaning tower.

What they 'Mitsu' are like up against a standard Tuna I don't know by up against a Spivo with it's lowered suspension/shocks sorry not in the same league.

Neither was the R/R any better at road holding or acceleration, it was just the fact that I didn't want to kill myself just yet.

Edit must learn to spell Mob it's not Mod.

Edited by fredob43

Little story a few years ago had to do a visa run to Thi Li as Mae Sot was closed.

Happened to get behind a mob from a BKK Motor car club. All the cars several were white Spivos even the last one a Mitsu was white why was it last well it couldn't keep up.

I don't know if anyone knows that aria but it's very hilly and bendy bringing up the rear I could see most of the cars as they ventured round the bends the Spivos leaned as they would but the rear valance only dropped but some 2/3" the Mitsu dropped by at least 8" + and crabbed round the corners this went on for KM, so it didn't happen just once. Since then they to us mob have been known as the Pisa as in the leaning tower.

What they 'Mitsu' are like up against a standard Tuna I don't know by up against a Spivo with it's lowered suspension/shocks sorry not in the same league.

Neither was the R/R any better at road holding, it was just the fact that I didn't want to kill myself just yet.

h

I would think that a lot of that would be down to how they were loaded and what they were carrying....why would you ever want to lower an SUV??

Did anyone see the 2 posts I made about nitrogen from the AA and RACQ?

there are a lot of similarities, they are both rather pointless and have negligible advantages. However there are genuine safety questions about CC .....but it seems "Joe Motorist" is quite happy to believe the publicity and ignore the science.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Obviously you never had, or don't use cruise control much...it works like this....you don't slam your foot on the brakes for heaven sakes, a smart person would and this is quite normal in normal circumstances is to......Lightly Touch/Tap the BREAK pedal with your foot this disengages cruise control immediately i think thats as far as i need to go in explains that............and

Curise control doesn't really save fuel, once set it keeps you on that speed so going up hills it will pumb more gas to the engine and act like an engine break to some degree going down hills, if your looking for economy use your foot and throttle slowly etc...

And further more CC is pretty much useless in heavy traffic.

Getting back to heavy rain...you would be a bit of a dick head if you didn't back off the gas and keep both hands on the wheel anyway, the way that article is written its pure theory and we all know theory sometimes doesn't work in practice at least thats what i was taught at trade school.

Reply to C/G

You'll have to ask Toyota why they lower the Spivo but they do.

Sorry but you cant tell me it was about loading All the Spivos reacted the same only the Mitsu leaned.

Just look next time you see one at the large gap above the top of the wheel to the arch, if it didn't have to be there to accommodate the wheel movement it wouldn't be.

Edited by fredob43

Neither was the R/R any better at road holding, it was just the fact that I didn't want to kill myself just yet.

h

I would think that a lot of that would be down to how they were loaded and what they were carrying....why would you ever want to lower an SUV??

stop it falling over mainly

Nothing feel worse than a Hangover on twisty bit ,but it doesn't fall over. Perhaps someone like Warpspeed could explain instead of theory folk..my new Chepo Benz rag top is rubbish handle wiz e compared to my Honda mildly remapped civic

Obviously you never had, or don't use cruise control much...it works like this....you don't slam your foot on the brakes for heaven sakes, a smart person would and this is quite normal in normal circumstances is to......Lightly Touch/Tap the BREAK pedal with your foot this disengages cruise control immediately i think thats as far as i need to go in explains that............and

Curise control doesn't really save fuel, once set it keeps you on that speed so going up hills it will pumb more gas to the engine and act like an engine break to some degree going down hills, if your looking for economy use your foot and throttle slowly etc...

And further more CC is pretty much useless in heavy traffic.

Getting back to heavy rain...you would be a bit of a dick head if you didn't back off the gas and keep both hands on the wheel anyway, the way that article is written its pure theory and we all know theory sometimes doesn't work in practice at least thats what i was taught at trade school.

Read the heading,I didn't write the article but I have had cruise control on a previous vehicle but never had need or desire to use it.

Nothing feel worse than a Hangover on twisty bit ,but it doesn't fall over. Perhaps someone like Warpspeed could explain instead of theory folk..my new Chepo Benz rag top is rubbish handle wiz e compared to my Honda mildly remapped civic

Happen to be behind a Mitsu this morning as it did a 90dg left turn speed slow but it still dipped over 4" on the right hand rear valance. Maybe you should look some time. Before stating that they are the best thing handling wise since sliced bread.

That was my point of getting W/speeds opinion on trucks. 4 inches wow, a Hangover nears a foot and feels bad but hangs in somehow.Anyway they still piss me of on Mountain Bendy roads wallowing about with some idiot using C.C.. Used Mrs Pops Hitler Mobile and foregot to try CC. It got a gadget that slows you down if it gets too close behind another, but i turned it off , the gaps too big so you just get cut up by Tunas and Rangers.thumbsup.gif