Shoulder Surgery

Moouan

Dr, Viroj is well known and also at several private hospitals including Bumrungrad but I think he specializes in hips. The other two have published but in regard to knees, does not look like any of the three specialize in shoulder issues.

Actually purely for ortho, Lerdsin is probably the better choice as it is very well known for that, it is its strong suit. But the Police Hospital is a better choice all round in terms of the range of things it can manage and the level of care it can provide.

Good day

So in the end I had surgery, and went to Nakhon Ratchisima for it. It was done last Tuesday. In addition to the detached tendon they found I had a SLAP lesion as well so did that repair the same time.

Wondering if the board here knows of any good physiology outfits in Bkk that know about post op shoulder surgery physio. I have been given a few exercises from my doctor and can go back there each week to see their physio but if there is a bkk based place that I can use then that might be a better option.

The shoulder feels quite good, except when sleeping, which is a real problem. I guess will not know how successful the whole procedure was till after physio but I was happy with the Dr, the facilities and the service. Not to mention the cost, which was quite reasonable.

Also I am looking online for links to video or documents on post op rehab but not finding much. If anyone has any links they would be appreciated.

You may find this to be of assistance.

http://www.orthoontheweb.com/pdfs/Shoulder_Arthroscopy_Postop_Inst.pdf

Once...thx for that link, great info.

I have started at home, but might still look for a physio to help.

Cheers

All of the major hospitals have physiotherapy departments.

Can't say I have been overly impressed with any of them though.

As I recall you had social security, so would suggest taking the doctor's letter with you to whatever hospital you are registered at and see how that goes.

Hi Sheryl, thx for that.

Good idea, maybe will try Lerdsin as they are close to work.

Was wondering if there are any physio clinics but as you infer, might not be covered.

Thanks

Dr, Viroj is well known and also at several private hospitals including Bumrungrad but I think he specializes in hips. The other two have published but in regard to knees, does not look like any of the three specialize in shoulder issues.

Actually purely for ortho, Lerdsin is probably the better choice as it is very well known for that, it is its strong suit. But the Police Hospital is a better choice all round in terms of the range of things it can manage and the level of care it can provide.

Good day

So in the end I had surgery, and went to Nakhon Ratchisima for it. It was done last Tuesday. In addition to the detached tendon they found I had a SLAP lesion as well so did that repair the same time.

Wondering if the board here knows of any good physiology outfits in Bkk that know about post op shoulder surgery physio. I have been given a few exercises from my doctor and can go back there each week to see their physio but if there is a bkk based place that I can use then that might be a better option.

The shoulder feels quite good, except when sleeping, which is a real problem. I guess will not know how successful the whole procedure was till after physio but I was happy with the Dr, the facilities and the service. Not to mention the cost, which was quite reasonable.

Also I am looking online for links to video or documents on post op rehab but not finding much. If anyone has any links they would be appreciated.

Cheers

Had more of a look at this link, seems some exercises are still in vogue, some maybe not.

What is really surprising is the timing, it suggests starting those exercises 48 hours after surgery. Wow I could barely stand up 48 hours after, and that seems to be way too early compared to almost all other data I have seen.

Wonder how they figure 48 hours?

kuma

I underwent major open (not arthroscopic) reconstructive shoulder surgery and commenced mobilisation within 24 hours.

I can assure you that the information provided is still "in vogue"

You must be guided by your surgeon.

Edited by oncearugge

kuma

I underwent major open (not arthroscopic) reconstructive shoulder surgery and commenced mobilisation within 24 hours.

1 find that very hard to believe, as your stitches would open up immediately, unless you referring to being out of bed and moving about ONLY

kuma

1 find that very hard to believe, as your stitches would open up immediately, unless you referring to being out of bed and moving about ONLY

Well you are a knowledgeable person !

But I am glad you are not a DR or advising me about my rehabilitation

Just FYI I had no "stitches" !

Go figure that outsmile.png

UP walking and undertaking shoulder mobilisation exercise within 24 hours !

Out of hospital within 40 hours (Can you believe that?)

All truthful testimony of my personal experience.

kuma

Could you explain how you have an open shoulder surgery and no stitches?

Is there some secret way to cut people open and close it with a magic wand?

And you are right i am not a doctor, but i did have a shoulder surgery, so did a number of my training partners

But please explain about open shoulder surgery without stitches and using hand/shoulder within 24 hours

PS. Walking around and moving your shoulder are little different, but i would not know, i only paid 550 000 baht, so my Bangkok Hospital surgeon was not as good as yoursthumbsup.gif

Edited by konying

kuma

Could you explain how you have an open shoulder surgery and no stitches?

Is there some secret way to cut people open and close it with a magic wand?

And you are right i am not a doctor, but i did have a shoulder surgery, so did a number of my training partners

But please explain about open shoulder surgery without stitches and using hand/shoulder within 24 hours

PS. Walking around and moving your shoulder are little different, but i would not know, i only paid 550 000 baht, so my Bangkok Hospital surgeon was not as good as yoursthumbsup.gif

Mine was done in Australia !

No stitches ! (There many means of closing surgical wounds "stitches" are not always used)

Hand/ arm / shoulder exercised outside the sling within 24 hours.

You would now find it very difficult to see my 6" (15.24cm) surgical scar which has faded to being (almost) invisible.

I now have some 98% function (accurately and objectively measured)

I make no comment about your or anyone's surgeon.

No stitches ! (There many means of closing surgical wounds "stitches" are not always used)

You would now find it very difficult to see my 6" (15.24cm) surgical scar which has faded to being (almost) invisible.

I am asking you again, how was your open surgery on shoulder closed? pretty simple question

I am asking you again, how was your open surgery on shoulder closed? pretty simple question

Why do you not just do some investigation ? Pretty simple !

Once again. My surgical wound was not closed with "stitches" and it healed by first intention (look that up).

Nothing was "removed" from my wound post op other than the drain.(look that up). NO "stitches" or anything else required removing.

You can believe what I say or not ....................your choice.

This is the end of this conversation.

Why do you not just do some investigation ? Pretty simple !

Once again. My surgical wound was not closed with "stitches" and it healed by first intention (look that up).

Nothing was "removed" from my wound post op other than the drain.(look that up). NO "stitches" or anything else required removing.

You can believe what I say or not ....................your choice.

This is the end of this conversation.

Yes,better be. At least it is now clear for OP NOT to take advise from someone who does not and/or can not answer a simple question.

Just for your education, in case you ever do have a a real open surgery, there are internal stitches or also self dissolving stitches.

On a small insertions, they may use staples.

Yes, i am certain, an ope wound healed by first intention and mobilized within 24 hoursgiggle.gif

While arthroscopic requires staples and little more than 24 hours.

Let me know once or if you ever have a real surgery, not a mole removal.

OP sorry to hijack the thread, you may find good read and info here http://www.orthosports.com.au/content_common/pg-shoulder.seo

Great comment thanks. My shoulder has actually got better, but that means I can lift it to parallel with the floor. Have read a bit about physio but have a full thickness tear so not sure that is an option. But continue to research, and visiting surgeons for multiple opinions. Cheers

My advice is do not do it, especially if getting better. Try deep tissue massage, unless you serious about some sport, surgery is not the best way, as i have learned.

Takes a very long time to recover and full recovery is not guaranteed.

I torn both right and left shoulders, did surgery for right shoulder, did not do for left shoulder.

Left shoulder recovered in time, right shoulder lost mobility.

I am back to training and pain in right shoulder even after the surgery is by far worse than the left, also during rainy season or cold.

I have been eating glucosamine +msm, on daily basis and it does help

Also try voltaren tabs, slow release or more stronger arcoxia, but voltaren seems to be sufficient enough

• 5 months later...

Good day

Cheers

Had more of a look at this link, seems some exercises are still in vogue, some maybe not.

What is really surprising is the timing, it suggests starting those exercises 48 hours after surgery. Wow I could barely stand up 48 hours after, and that seems to be way too early compared to almost all other data I have seen.

Wonder how they figure 48 hours?

Just an update for anyone requiring this surgery. As mentioned I did have it done, it was October of 2015. Enough time has passed and my condition improved enough I can truly say it was a great success.

The surgeon did a great job. I have basically full range of motion again, I would say about 95+% now, no pain and could not be happier about all of that.

As Sheryl mentions it is the surgeon rather than the hospital that matters.

I found some links about a Dr Bura, who works at the Suranaree hospital in Nakhon Ratchisima. I travelled up there and saw him and the hospital and after a consultation was confident it was the way to go and booked it.

As mentioned he did a great job, feel so much better after a long time with trouble in my neck, shoulder and back.

I fully recommend him to anyone needing this procedure, and not only will you get a great Dr but you will see that it is quite more value priced than Bkk hospitals. I spent about 75% less than I was quoted in bkk and had a private suite during my time there on top of the great surgeon.

The physio there I would not reciommend. I stay in bkk so post surgery I went to a hospital in town for physio.

Dr Bura, Suranaree hospital in N R, he gets my unqualified recommendation.

Cheers