Thai MFA to send to the U.S. a complaint letter against 2014 TIP report

webfact

Thai MFA to send to the U.S. a complaint letter against 2014 TIP report

BANGKOK, 30 June 2015 (NNT) – The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs is to send to he Embassy of the United States in Bangkok a complaint letter against the 2014 Trafficking in Persons Report due to the U.S. ignorance of Thai government’s efforts to combat the problem.

Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn expressed his disappointment over the recently published report. Though it described Thailand in both positive and negative sides, he stressed most of issues in concerns had its roots from ex-governments.

The Foreign Ministry under Gen.Tanasak’s supervision often presented facts and truth on the issue to the U.S. and also invited American representatives to inspect what were in their concerns. However, the country ignored invitations and facts from the Thai government. It relied on just information from media and NGOs without rechecking with the Foreign Ministry of Thailand.

He vowed the Thai Government would follow the existing roadmap towards democracy and security despite the disappointed report. He noted that to what extent the assessor countries were fair to Thailand.

Responding to criticisms against the arrest of fourteen student activists who expressed opposition to the government, Gen Tanasak claimed better democratic situation is now seen in the country with obvious safety and order. He asserted no seizures of buildings happen under the military rule, unlike in the previous governments. If foreign countries have no bias, Gen Tanasak believed they would have better understanding in Thailand’s current government.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-30 footer_n.gif

I think they are doing a great work to tackle the problem, but it takes time to build trust with years in a passive mode.

Thailand is acting now on the issue, to get out of the report. But the question is, when Thailand is out of the report, will they act like now, or is the issue with the world gone.

I see same acting in the 2 other issues Thailand has

That's the way General Tanasak, you write a snotty letter to those damned Yanks and tell them they are talking b*ll*cks. If they dont ammend the report, to reflect your views on the situation in Thailand, don't let the facts get in the way, tell them further action by Thailand will follow.

I suggest if those Yanks dont do what you want, try this,

1. Trade sanctions against the US, banning the import of all US goods.

2. Call their Charge D'affairs in and expell him from Thailand.

3. Revoke all US citizens visas amd expell them.

4. Cancell Cobra Gold.

5. Sail the Thai aircraft carrier to the Gulf of Mexico.

These actions would cripple the US economy, do these people not know who they are messing with?

Alternatively you could ignore the above action plan, have a bit of a moan to the local press and then do nothing. They will get the message then.

He must have an advance copy of the 2015 report (covering year 2014) since it is not posted at State Dept website. It was due out a week or so ago. Or, he is complaining about last year's report.

"If foreign countries have no bias, Gen Tanasak believed they would have better understanding in Thailand’s current government."

Silly farang not understand Thainess!

Heaven FORBID Thailand should evolve to gain a better understanding of how the rest of civilized nations behave!

"....due to the US ignorance of Thai government's efforts to combat the problem".

On the contrary, I think it's precisely because the U.S. FULLY understands the Thai government's pathetic efforts to combat this problem that the T.I.P. report is so scathing..................

He must have an advance copy of the 2015 report (covering year 2014) since it is not posted at State Dept website. It was due out a week or so ago. Or, he is complaining about last year's report.

I'm pretty sure he is totally confused, and thinks last year's report (called Report 2014) is a new one.

I heard the Foreign Ministry staff are pretty upset having a four-star minister for the first time ever instead of a professional. I presume they tricked him into this, or let him go ahead and display his ignorance without stopping him, one or the other.

He rambled on about this at some length and obviously was talking about last year's report.

That's the way General Tanasak, you write a snotty letter to those damned Yanks and tell them they are talking b*ll*cks. If they dont ammend the report, to reflect your views on the situation in Thailand, don't let the facts get in the way, tell them further action by Thailand will follow.

4. Cancell Cobra Gold.

These actions would cripple the US economy, do these people not know who they are messing with?

Alternatively you could ignore the above action plan, have a bit of a moan to the local press and then do nothing. They will get the message then.

Agree with you totally except for #5:

5. Sail tow the Thai aircraft carrier to the Gulf of Mexico.

Don't think it can sail!

"If foreign countries have no bias, Gen Tanasak believed they would have better understanding in Thailand’s current government."

Changing one word still provides the same meaning: "If foreign countries have Junta bias ... they would have better understanding in Thailand’s current government."

Foreign ministry to voice disappointment over TIP Report

000-Was8868554-wpcf_728x4131-wpcf_728x41

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Foreign Ministry will send a complaint note to the US Embassy in Bangkok voicing its disappointment over the U.S. ignorance of the present Thai government’s concerted efforts to combat the human trafficking problem for its recent Trafficking in Persons (TIP) Report which still places Thailand at the bottom of the ranking in human trafficking.

The disappointment was voiced by the Foreign Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn over the recently published report.

According to NNT reported, though it described Thailand in both positive and negative sides, Gen Tanasak stressed most of issues in concerns had its roots from previous governments.

The Foreign Ministry under Gen Tanasak’s supervision often presented facts and truth on the issue to the U.S. and also invited American representatives to inspect what were in their concerns.

However, he said the country ignored invitations and facts from the Thai government.

It relied on just information from media and NGOs without rechecking with the Foreign Ministry of Thailand.

He vowed the Thai Government would follow the existing roadmap towards democracy and security despite the disappointed report.

He noted that to what extent the assessor countries were fair to Thailand.

Responding to criticisms against the arrest of fourteen student activists who expressed opposition to the government, Gen Tanasak claimed better democratic situation is now seen in the country with obvious safety and order.

He asserted no incidents like protesters laying siege to government offices did happen under the military rule, unlike in the previous governments.

He added if foreign countries have no bias, he believed they would have better understanding in Thailand’s current government.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-ministry-to-voice-disappointment-over-tip-report

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-30

4. Cancell Cobra Gold.

Don't think it can sail!

5. Sail tow dispatch the Thai aircraft carrier to the Gulf of Mexico......I would think the carrier has some form of self-propulsion.

Instead of complaining about the report if they politely pointed that the report refers to a period of time between xxx xx and xxx xx and we have made improvements since then and are willing to accept advice of what else we can do to relive the suffering of all the victims (including Thai, Rohingya or any nationality) of human trafficking then I think they would come across as seriously willing to tackle the problem. As it is still seems to me a little bit for show and not much substance to their efforts.

I'm pretty sure he is totally confused, and thinks last year's report (called Report 2014) is a new one.

I heard the Foreign Ministry staff are pretty upset having a four-star minister for the first time ever instead of a professional. I presume they tricked him into this, or let him go ahead and display his ignorance without stopping him, one or the other.

He rambled on about this at some length and obviously was talking about last year's report.

I believe the MFA have confused the US Human Rights report with the TIP report which hasn't been release yet.

I imagine they are in for a double disappointment.

Well, if this "letter" follows the same typical Thai path as say, the new Constitution, they'll need to make a road-map, appoint people to write, draft it (all 300 paragraphs), debate it, have a vote, send it back to get re-written...

They'll be on their next coup by the time the letter is done.

Just write the thing, deliver it, then publicize it.

I think they are doing a great work to tackle the problem, but it takes time to build trust with years in a passive mode.

Thailand is acting now on the issue, to get out of the report. But the question is, when Thailand is out of the report, will they act like now, or is the issue with the world gone.

I'm especially impressed with the fact that it will only take 5 years to investigate the situation per recent news, and with the fact that they burned down the camps to "prevent them from being reused."

On a serious note, I think now Thailand is staring at an economic impact they are taking steps to take some measures here to prevent things. The question of course is what you mentioned in the second line, is this just to elevate their status? Certainly they are doing more now than before, but I think the above example shows that they are still not doing everything in their power to bring the truth to light.

Instead of complaining about the report if they politely pointed that the report refers to a period of time between xxx xx and xxx xx and we have made improvements since then and are willing to accept advice of what else we can do to relive the suffering of all the victims (including Thai, Rohingya or any nationality) of human trafficking then I think they would come across as seriously willing to tackle the problem. As it is still seems to me a little bit for show and not much substance to their efforts.

Unfortunately we know that This would never be "willing to accept advice of what else we can do to relive the suffering". There are many people in the world that could assist in putting the right processes in place to tackle the problem, it's just that Thai's would never accept outside help.

4. Cancell Cobra Gold.

Don't think it can sail!

5. Sail tow dispatch the Thai aircraft carrier to the Gulf of Mexico......I would think the carrier has some form of self-propulsion.

Perhaps all the (temporary) unemployed staff at the club that was just closed down for 10 days can blow the ship theregigglem.gif

Yep, Singapore fires off its protest letter every year. It's probably a low-level cut-and-paste job by now.

p.s. as far as Singapore is concerned, the annual TIP report gets some things right, gets some things wrong, and misses some things. And every year they tell Singapore that it has to reduce the 'demand for commercial sex' ... good luck with that.

Don't they mean the 2014 "Human Rights Report" that came out 5 days ago?

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/human_rights_reports.html

...and not the 2014 "TIP Report" which came out last June 20, 2014?

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/tip.html

Talk about confusion in the ranks. They don't even know what to complain about. The 2015 TIP report will be available later this summer.