Former Phraram 9 Cafe owner assassinated in Bangkok

webfact

If you dont know Phra Ram 9 cafe and others like Villa Cafe then you havent been in Bangkok very long. For a very long time these venues were the breeding ground for countless acts that were very well known in Thailand many of which made national television. The Chern Yim clan were regulars. In my early days of learning Thai I sat at the front and tried to banter with Note Chern Yim. I got a laugh, then was ritually slaughtered for the benefit of the baying crowd!

For crying out loud, what the hell is so wrong with a little dark humor ? Remember Rule #62. Don't take yourself so damned seriously.

Yes we should all be cheerful and make jokes about someone who just got murdered.

Former Rama IX Café proprietor gunned down

30-6-2558-11-01-32-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police are trying to figure out the motives for the murder of former night entertainment tycoon Somyos Suthangkoon.

The proprietor of Rama IX (Phra Ram 9) Café, a wellknown restaurant and entertainment venue at the Rama IX area, was gunned down at the car park of Heng shark’s fin restaurant as he was leaving the premise with his wife at the driving seat of Mercedes Benz at about 8 pm Monday night.

Video footage at the restaurant saw two gunmen approaching the 62-year old Mr Somyos and firing shots at him before escaping in a motorcycle.

Pol Gen Ruangsak Charit-aek, the deputy national police chief, said that the two gunmen arrived at the shark’s fin restaurant to scout the area since 5 pm. He said that police had questioned several eyewitnesses but was yet to question the victim’s wife who was still in a state of shock.

Initially, police suspected business conflicts as the likely motive of the murder.

Mr Somyos was a frequent customer at the restaurant.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-rama-ix-cafe-proprietor-gunned-down

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-06-30

If they were scouting the area since 5 pm then it is people who knew what he is up to.

Should not be to difficult to find them.,

The level of importance of victim to warrant a murder to be called an assassination seems to be slipping.

Ah, but he might have been "connected." It might have offended him in the next life if he had been merely murdered. Being assassinated gives you much more status posthumously. I could say RIP but these Hi-So guys have almost always upset multiple people in their business life and it is usually over money.

Former Rama IX Café proprietor gunned down

30-6-2558-11-01-32-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police are trying to figure out the motives for the murder of former night entertainment tycoon Somyos Suthangkoon.

The proprietor of Rama IX (Phra Ram 9) Café, a wellknown restaurant and entertainment venue at the Rama IX area, was gunned down at the car park of Heng shark’s fin restaurant as he was leaving the premise with his wife at the driving seat of Mercedes Benz at about 8 pm Monday night.

Video footage at the restaurant saw two gunmen approaching the 62-year old Mr Somyos and firing shots at him before escaping in a motorcycle.

Pol Gen Ruangsak Charit-aek, the deputy national police chief, said that the two gunmen arrived at the shark’s fin restaurant to scout the area since 5 pm. He said that police had questioned several eyewitnesses but was yet to question the victim’s wife who was still in a state of shock.

Initially, police suspected business conflicts as the likely motive of the murder.

Mr Somyos was a frequent customer at the restaurant.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-rama-ix-cafe-proprietor-gunned-down

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-06-30

First rule when you are rich and have enemies in Thailand, get bulletproof windows in your car and a bulletproof bodyguard.

Well, don't know if eating shark fin soup merits a death, but the sharks died for his dinner. Karma is hell! coffee1.gif

What a nasty thing to say.

I guess we're all vegetarians here aren't we? If not, we deserve a bullet to the head?

Apparently....someone ...thought that particular restaurant patron deserved a bullet to the head while I will bet a thousand baht, or more, the man was far from squeaky clean and his past came back to haunt him.

Mobster style shootings and assassinations are usually like that.

Never the less........ Rest In Peace.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Some years ago while my youngest son at the age of 13 was attending International school, he befriended a Thai lad who also in his school class.

The boy`s father owned 3 high profile karaoke clubs and some other shady adult themed establishments in Chiang Mai. On one weekend the lad took my boy to meet his family including the father. My son told me that the father had to hire bodyguards everywhere he went, including a bodyguard to take and collect his son from school and even accompany the boy`s mother while she went shopping. After that, I insisted my son distance himself from that mob, which he did.

At the time I thought to myself, although the father was probably worth millions, drives a custom built Mercedes and lives in a multi million baht home, who would want to live that sort of lifestyle where one is having to look over their shoulder and be on the alert 24 hours?

What I have said many times in the past here on Thai visa still stands, don`t get involved in Thailand.

Can someone tell me what is so special about that cafe?

Is it just a headline or some story behind it?

no one wants to tell you anything , you are a rude twit .... i stand by my words

Right opposite my condo. The grubby shark fin restaurant is always busy with dodgy looking characters...not that it implies the victim was one.

I guess only dodgy <deleted> will eat shark fins these days, especially after it was made public how they catch the sharks, cut off their fins and throw them back alive to die a very painful death. Besides that they are becoming extinct. Watch Sharkwater by Rod Stewart(not the terrible singer wink.png ) https://vimeo.com/88724551

Right opposite my condo. The grubby shark fin restaurant is always busy with dodgy looking characters...not that it implies the victim was one.

I guess only dodgy f-ers will eat shark fins these days, especially after it was made public how they catch the sharks, cut off their fins and throw them back alive to die a very painful death. Besides that they are becoming extinct. Watch Sharkwater by Rod Stewart(not the terrible singer wink.png ) https://vimeo.com/88724551

Unfortunately the awareness will not make a bit of difference as the Asian love of shark fin based delicacies will continue unabated.

Well, don't know if eating shark fin soup merits a death, but the sharks died for his dinner. Karma is hell! coffee1.gif

I guess we're all vegetarians here aren't we? If not, we deserve a bullet to the head?

No but people who eat sharkfin soup should !!!

Perhaps shark's fin is in a different category than McD.dya think?

Anyhow, must get back to cooking my Panda steak.

If you dont know Phra Ram 9 cafe and others like Villa Cafe then you havent been in Bangkok very long. For a very long time these venues were the breeding ground for countless acts that were very well known in Thailand many of which made national television. The Chern Yim clan were regulars. In my early days of learning Thai I sat at the front and tried to banter with Note Chern Yim. I got a laugh, then was ritually slaughtered for the benefit of the baying crowd!

Sounds intriguing...I tried to google some past incidents but couldn't find any. What were they? Been here a long time and remember a lot of incidents but not this clan. All I know is that Note Chern Yim is an actor/director.

I refer anyone interested to the BP for full details of a sordid, but typically Thai, story.

In short, his business partner ripped him to the tune of B11 mill, and gave it to her husband, who promptly blew it gambling. Somyos fronted her, she coughed, and he put the frightners on the old man, who didn't have the money to give back, so he did the only logical thing, in Thailand at least, and had him whacked.

"to bad it doesnt happen in the west more often when rich people are allowed to steal investors money and walk away with a fortune"

My friend, please run for president coz if you promote this idea I will surely vote for you. If enough ppl did as you recommend we would surely have a "new world order" where the crooks would quickly stop such crimes against those whom they rob.

"to bad it doesnt happen in the west more often when rich people are allowed to steal investors money and walk away with a fortune"

My friend, please run for president coz if you promote this idea I will surely vote for you. If enough ppl did as you recommend we would surely have a "new world order" where the crooks would quickly stop such crimes against those whom they rob.

Mate. the shyIT is happening now, but the world is catching on. The ba$tards are trying to pull of the biggest wealth shift in history, STEALING, by way of rock-bottom interest rates.

Yes, they have changed the rules half way through the game and are STEALING the real savings of people who have worked lifetimes in HONEST jobs, for savings that have been taxes SEVERAL times... but

yet they are not satisfied.

But the tide will turn believe me.