Toyota's top female executive arrested in Japan resigns

webfact

Toyota's top female executive arrested in Japan resigns

TOKYO (AP) — Toyota says Julie Hamp, who was arrested in Japan last month on suspicion of drug law violations, has resigned as managing officer. She was the most senior female executive ever at the Japanese automaker.

Toyota Motor Corp. issued a statement Wednesday saying it had accepted her resignation, considering the troubles the arrest had caused stakeholders.

Hamp, a 55-year-old American and Toyota's newly appointed head of public relations, was arrested June 18 on suspicion of importing oxycodone, a narcotic pain killer, into Japan. The drug is tightly controlled in Japan.

Toyota declined to disclose other details, noting the investigation was still ongoing.

Her appointment in April had been highlighted with much fanfare as a step toward promoting diversity. Toyota reiterated that it remained committed to diversity.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-01

It is a simple case of no self discipline !! This leads to getting hooked to start with, however is it used legally in some cases, but highly addictive.

I had a friend whose son got hooked after a leg injury and ran through many thousands of dollars before rehab finally worked.

How can you be clever enough to get that far up the ladder and, at the same time, stupid enough to jump off it?

I suspect she was pushed. Oh, she imported the pain killers, yes, but that should not have necessitated her resignation. I think Toyota got their PR from appointing her, but were pleased for an excuse to be rid of a mere woman in the board room....a gaijin at that!

Especially considering she has not even been charged yet!

Edited by Seastallion

Jailed American Executive Resigns From Toyota

By JONATHAN SOBLE

JULY 1, 2015

TOKYO — The American public relations chief of Toyota Motor resigned on Wednesday, the automaker said, offering her notice from a Japanese jail after her arrest last month on suspicion of illegally bringing a restricted painkiller into the country.

Toyota “has accepted her resignation after considering the concerns and inconvenience that recent events have caused our stakeholders,” the company said in a statement.

The arrest of the executive, Julie Hamp, has been an embarrassment for the automaker, which had only recently promoted her as part of an effort to introduce more diversity into its executive suite. She was the highest-ranking woman at the company and one of the most senior executives who was not Japanese.

Ms. Hamp has been in custody since June 18 and has not been formally charged. The police say they found oxycodone, a powerful and potentially addictive painkiller, in a parcel she received from the United States. The tightly controlled prescription drug can be imported only with special permission, which the police said Ms. Hamp had not obtained. It is illegal to ship it by mail.

More here - nytimes

Breaking through the glass cealing hurts , so she needed oxy.

But getting nicked for importing a painkiller is ridiculous.

Meanwhile Japan is irradiating the pacific , but oops , you're not allowed to talk about that.

A company like Toyota has massive clout in Japanese society, and they could easily get her out of this if they cared to. I'm guessing that Toyota just wanted to get rid of her, and they're happy to take full advantage of her blunder.

It's in the Japanese press as another example of how foreigners abused drugs and have no regard for Japanese law.

Edited by timmyp

It is a simple case of no self discipline !! This leads to getting hooked to start with, however is it used legally in some cases, but highly addictive.

I had a friend whose son got hooked after a leg injury and ran through many thousands of dollars before rehab finally worked.

She didn't work her way up the corporate ladder without self discipline. However, she did make a big mistake. Haven't you ever made one ... or two?

How can you be clever enough to get that far up the ladder and, at the same time, stupid enough to jump off it?

That's part of the problem. Those who experience great success often over-rate how clever they are and how powerful they are due to the same self-confidence that brought them success.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall ... and the more enjoyment they give to those who get to watch the crash.

I suspect she was pushed. Oh, she imported the pain killers, yes, but that should not have necessitated her resignation. I think Toyota got their PR from appointing her, but were pleased for an excuse to be rid of a mere woman in the board room....a gaijin at that!

Here is the "meat" of the statement "had accepted her resignation, considering the troubles the arrest had caused stakeholders, shareholders, stockholders " Shareholders have no mercy. Anything that endangers their investment must be purged. Profits are "The Golden Calf the Sacred Cow" of business or put plainly "Greed" Greed has no mercy its a temple/religion unto itself.

Begs the question - why would a woman like her need Hillbilly Heroin in the first place.

Surely she wouldn't have gone as far in her career as she had while being an addict?

I have no knowledge of this particular addiction...maybe one can function normally.

How about she had a secret Yakuza lover who put her up to it?whistling.gif

I think the spin on this story could be way off the truth. It's a pain killer for short term use, and if she has an abuse condition then that needs help, not forced resignation and international news. It's not like they're saying she's an international drug dealer for recreational damaging product.

Begs the question - why would a woman like her need Hillbilly Heroin in the first place.

Surely she wouldn't have gone as far in her career as she had while being an addict?

I have no knowledge of this particular addiction...maybe one can function normally.

How about she had a secret Yakuza lover who put her up to it?whistling.gif

Who knows if she was addicted. It could have really been for pain, but she didn't want to get it in Japan because of the stigma (or maybe she requested it and the doctor turned her down)
The famous radio personality/author Rush Limbaugh was addicted to it. You can function fine and be an addict.
I highly, highly doubt she was importing it for someone else, and highly highly doubt she has a yakuza boyfriend. Living in Japan in a position like hers, even in Tokyo, you're not gonna get much privacy.

One assumes the drugs were for her own use.

But as another poster said, the glass ceiling was shattered so someone had to pay.

And especially as that someone was a foreigner!

Posted the package to herself, disguised and declared the pills to be a necklace....sounds like a desperate act related to addiction, even if the addiction relates to real pain

I am sure someone here will play a feminist card!

She didn't work her way up the corporate ladder without self discipline. However, she did make a big mistake. Haven't you ever made one ... or two?

Yep, easy to be a judgmental old prick who probably never accomplished half of what she accomplished. Ox addiction is the real deal. Be sad if she lost her meds or got stuck longer than expected and had to ship in so as not to hit withdrawals. I think it is a poor reflection on the company that they don't offer her the support she needs.