Pattaya struggles to survive the economic downturn

webfact

does anyone see a gradual fall now in the number of Chinese visitors to Pattaya resulting from the recent events on the Chinese stock market? Unlike any other country in the world 85% of the investors are ordinary mom and pop small-time investors and some even borrowed to make their investment.facepalm.gif

going forward I wonder if they will continue to have the disposable income to travel on holiday to Thailand ?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that, unlike others, I found the original article inspiring and owe a debt of gratitude to the author for his life changing insight.

Having received a postcard from my mother many years ago from Magaluff I can now fearlessly strike out as a travel writer with the added bonus of not having to leave this 'hellhole' whilst acquiring more money to spend on hedonistic pleasures (cadburys creme eggs from Nana Deli).

does anyone see a gradual fall now in the number of Chinese visitors to Pattaya resulting from the recent events on the Chinese stock market? Unlike any other country in the world 85% of the investors are ordinary mom and pop small-time investors and some even borrowed to make their investment.

going forward I wonder if they will continue to have the disposable income to travel on holiday to Thailand ?

Has there been enough time for that to have an effect? The Chinese market only really crashed over the last week or two. And of course it's still only back to where it was at the beginning of the year, so a royal pain for those who borrowed to buy at the peak but no big deal to those who are in for the long term (if anyone is in China).

Will it have an effect over the next few months? Surely.

does anyone see a gradual fall now in the number of Chinese visitors to Pattaya resulting from the recent events on the Chinese stock market? Unlike any other country in the world 85% of the investors are ordinary mom and pop small-time investors and some even borrowed to make their investment.

Has there been enough time for that to have an effect? The Chinese market only really crashed over the last week or two. And of course it's still only back to where it was at the beginning of the year, so a royal pain for those who borrowed to buy at the peak but no big deal to those who are in for the long term (if anyone is in China).

Will it have an effect over the next few months? Surely.

That’s what I meant by going forward. I’m not suggesting the effects of this will be seen immediately in Pattaya. but there seem to be some very concerned hedge fund managers out there.

At 3 minutes in this video Bill Ackman founder of hedge fund firm Pershing Square Capital Management, which manages some $18 billion says the Chinese financial system today looks " much worse " than USA did in 2008 !

http://www.planbeconomics.com/2015/07/ray-dalio-says-to-get-out-of-china.html

Edited by Asiantravel