Personal Accident Only Cover

JWNZ

I'm considering taking out a basic personal accident only policy (not health)

I don't ride a motorbike but occasionally a pushbike, I'm careful but accidents do happen

and I've heard more than once, stories of accidents happening, involving drunk drivers who collide with

pedestrians and cyclists.

I've looked at a couple of bank insurance policies but the ratio of cover opposed to the premium hardly seems worth it.

For example Bangkok bank cover per accident is only 30,000B with a premium of 2480B per year.

I also think 30000B per accident would not cover much?

Any recommendations by experience appreciated, I don't wish to fill in on line quote forms at this stage.

JWNZ

Have agree that does sound rather expensive as we can offer (as an example) a PA policy from AXA with over double the Medical Expenses for less premium - 2,000 Baht !

LINK

Thanks for your reply.

Can you paste a copy of the above mentioned plan chart?

Bangkok Insurance PCL. Walk into any BI office. Take your passport. No need for a broker to help.

Premium 2620 baht

Medical Expense Cover 100,000 baht

INCLUDES motorbike accident

Have used this for past few years. Not had any claims yet (thankfully) but see it as a good backup to a more comprehensive health insurance.

Forget the bank accident insurance!

JWNZ

Have agree that does sound rather expensive as we can offer (as an example) a PA policy from AXA with over double the Medical Expenses for less premium - 2,000 Baht !

LINK

Thanks for your reply.

This is the base AXA PA plan for 2,000 Baht - although note many companies offer various amounts of different benefits - example, Medical Expenses can go as high as 625,000 Baht if needed.

Apologies for the formatting Quote

INSURING AGREEMENT

1. LOSS OF LIFE, DISMEMBERMENT, LOSS OF SIGHT, LOSS OF HEARING, LOSS OF SPEECH OR PERMANENT DISABILITY

2. MEDICAL EXPENSE

-

-

Bangkok Insurance PCL. Walk into any BI office. Take your passport. No need for a broker to help.

Premium 2620 baht

Have used this for past few years. Not had any claims yet (thankfully) but see it as a good backup to a more comprehensive health insurance.

JWNZ

LINK

Thanks for your reply.

This is the base AXA PA plan for 2,000 Baht - although note many companies offer various amounts of different benefits - example, Medical Expenses can go as high as 625,000 Baht if needed.

Apologies for the formatting Quote

INSURING AGREEMENT

1. LOSS OF LIFE, DISMEMBERMENT, LOSS OF SIGHT, LOSS OF HEARING, LOSS OF SPEECH OR PERMANENT DISABILITY

2. MEDICAL EXPENSE

-

-

Both these options not far apart with Bangkok Insurance giving a greater medical expense cover ratio as opposed to premium of 31.45:1 the AXA summary which is 31.25:1.

Not knowing the costs of most non life threating accidents, I wonder if 60,000B is enough cover?

Bangkok Insurance PA Happy 45+ packages start with a minimum of 100,000B cover which suggests to me maybe anything less is debateable.

Further comments and or options appreciated, at his stage to me Bangkok Insurance looks better value.

Premium 2620 baht

Thanks for your post.

I took a walk to one of their offices today and so far they look to have the best value to premium package.

I've asked for further comment, if nothing substantial is posted, I'm likely to go with BI on Monday.

Cheers

J.

• 2 months later...

Most accident insurance stops at 70. Had an accident yesterday....hit a miniature Komodo dragon on the cycle track at Rama 9 Park. Slight damage to bike, broken helmet, broken rib, torn shoulder ligament and massive, ugly bruising. NO damage to the iguana!

Overnight stay in Police Hospital, Sukhumvit, in a VIP room (only room available), many x-rays, seen immediately, shit food, the butt of many jokes, etc.

Total cost was 6,700 baht. (5000 for room).

If I'd stayed in the ward, it would have cost a lot, lot less.

So if you don't go to a rip-off private hospital, it's not too bad in a govt. hospital.

Also, if you're married to a Thai, you get the Thai rate, which is half the farang rate. (except the room cost, which is the same.)

I'm 71 , by the way, and just in the middle of finalising my accident insurance...........not covered yet, of course!

So, SHIT HAPPENS, anytime, anywhere, and usually unexpectedly!

We've gone with Bangkok Insurance for Personal Accident cover including motorcycle accidents.

One of us is over 60 so we've ended up with different policies.

Premiums: ฿6,440 for the over 60 and ฿5,240 for the under 60 (had to buy two policies to get ฿200,000 medical).

Both include ฿200,000 medical per accident which is the lowest we wanted to go.

No daily room or ICU limit for the under 60 policy.

฿4,000 and ฿8,000 respectively for the other.

No deductible.

Personal Accident policy is for 16-60 years and the different between Group A and B is your job. Retired and not travelling a lot classed me as Group A and therefore cheaper.

Personal Accident Happy 45+ policy covers 45-80 years.

See summary details in the attached.

post-213801-0-13890200-1444192781_thumb.

post-213801-0-20996100-1444193205_thumb.

Bkk bank tried to sell me this policy a couple of days ago with their new atm card

I looked at the brochure and asked her what happens if/when the bill goes over 600,000 ? (that was the highest coverage payout I could see )

She looked at me weird and said no, we will pay up until 100,000 or 200,000

I pointed her the brochure and the highest payout was 600k, she said oho

Yes, the 600k you can get when you are dead ...

We both laughed... :)

I declined the policy...

• 3 weeks later...

If they only pay 30 K, you'll be one of the dog none skullers.

A Thai guy who's working in construction got a dog bone transplant after a very serious accident, because he didn't have a "special insurance."

I had an accident with my bigger bike, more a brake malfunction that left me with my right leg broken four times near the Tibia head.

The motorcycle insurance ( no matter who's riding it) only paid 12 K) the other 86 K came from my Thai SS insurance.

Even considering that the operation wasn't successful, pretty good money for a rice farmer.

I've experienced unbelievable things here. An airborne motorcycle that hit my car and of course, destroyed a lot, while the young and weird pilot on a CBR 150, who didn't see a tractor with a trailer, drove on it, both became airborne, the guy landed on his feet, nothing happened to him at a higher speed.

Two days ago a flying tractor. They must have forgotten to tighten up the brake when they took off the tracky just fell down, right in front of a Pick up, no time to come to a stop.

30 K really sucks.

AXA

Highest medical expenses I can find is medical 62k/accident for 2,000bht.

Link to the brochure that offers medical 625k/accident for 2,000bht.

Or have you deliberately misled us?

If you have I would avoid your company like the plague.

Because I would assume you would wriggle out of the claim too.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

For example Bangkok bank cover per accident is only 30,000B with a premium of 2480B per year.

There are policies that are much cheaper than that

With Liberty Mutual Accident Insurance

200,000 Accident Insurance for 950 / year

300,000 Accident Insurance for 1,350 / year

400,000 Accident Insurance for 1,750 / year

500,000 Accident Insurance for 2,200 / year

1,000,000 Accident Insurance for 2,800 / year

2,000,000 Accident Insurance for 4,000 / year

that's just an overview.

for more information you can contact: [email protected]