Corrupt politicians should face jail and lifetime ban: NLA deputy chief

Lite Beer

Oh dear...

Certainly. PTP MPs are paid to be members of the party, payments aka bribes

Evidence?

By simply buying enough corrupt local politicians, Thaksin was able to use the party list system to appoint himself PM, his cronies to high office, and his criminal scum to parliament to avoid prosecution.

Evidence?

Obviously you didn't say it, I did.

You admit he is a criminal, but don't see why he gets special attention.

Correct - well, actually I do know why he gets special attention, it's implicit in my previous post. He committed the cardinal sin of being too popular, and you might usefully ask what defines 'too poular'?. In fact, he was only convicted of abuse of power by a corrupt court in thrall to someone else and on very dubious legal grounds. Barami in Thailand is a mortal curse. Thaksin was neither tried for, nor convicted of corruption, but then you knew that already and choose to ignore it.. On abuse of power. that probably applies too 95% of all Thai politicians so charging Thaksin is a blatant hypcrisy.

i gave you a reason.

No you didn't.

To give you another, after being elected, he put his criminality on public display.

How did he do that exactly?

While it seems many Thais accept shady business practices, blatant abuses of power are not.

Really? How very inconsistent of them; this crime is acceptable, that is not, Very... child-like.

I think you're on pretty dodgy ground. Perhaps you should have a few more facts in your gunny-bag, because in adult company, what you are saying is not actually supported by anything but propaganda and it therefore lacks credibility. What you have is in fact a faith stance, it's what you want to believe, and I could make a shrewd guess as to the reason for that. Many foreigner Thaksin-haters should consider listening to someone a bit smarter and without a skirt

I think you're flogging a dead horse here my friend.

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this must include top officials within Thai society like Military Generals and teachers too and not just politicians, in fact any one holding office within Thailand because as we all know there is a lot of giggery pokery going on.

"the Constitution Drafting Committee resolved to maintain a clause in the new constitution that would ban for life anyone found by a court to be involved in corruption or electoral fraud from contesting an election to become an MP."

Should I put in a work permit application now? If this law was enacted and enforced, they would need to bring in MP's of foreign nationality. To quote dear leader "No Thai could do this".

Highly laudable sentiments.....if applied fairly, uniformly, consistently and without political bias; but this is Thailand and there is little evidence that this has ever happened before.

I note that it is suggested that these measures are not implemented retrospectively.

But......what was the law before???????

This is just what the Junta should be doing. Changing the rules which politicians will NEVER do themselves because the reason Thai people go into politics (and the police) in the first place is because they think they can get rich through graft.

They should concentrate on this kind of thing and leave long term policy decisions (like railways and submarines) to an elected government.

I see the Pheu-Thai supporters are displaying their amazing hypocrisy once more. Glass houses and stones and all that. The Junta are certainly not ideal - but they are a lot better than the Parliament of dirty cronies they booted out.

This is just what the Junta should be doing. Changing the rules which politicians will NEVER do themselves because the reason Thai people go into politics (and the police) in the first place is because they think they can get rich through graft.

They should concentrate on this kind of thing and leave long term policy decisions (like railways and submarines) to an elected government.

I see the Pheu-Thai supporters are displaying their amazing hypocrisy once more. Glass houses and stones and all that. The Junta are certainly not ideal - but they are a lot better than the Parliament of dirty cronies they booted out.

I think you should speak to some people in the know to find out just why the junta is in power.....once you do this you may realise how wide of the mark your current perceptions of the junta are.

Oh dear...

Certainly. PTP MPs are paid to be members of the party, payments aka bribes

Evidence?

By simply buying enough corrupt local politicians, Thaksin was able to use the party list system to appoint himself PM, his cronies to high office, and his criminal scum to parliament to avoid prosecution.

Evidence?

Obviously you didn't say it, I did.

You admit he is a criminal, but don't see why he gets special attention.

Correct - well, actually I do know why he gets special attention, it's implicit in my previous post. He committed the cardinal sin of being too popular, and you might usefully ask what defines 'too poular'?. In fact, he was only convicted of abuse of power by a corrupt court in thrall to someone else and on very dubious legal grounds. Barami in Thailand is a mortal curse. Thaksin was neither tried for, nor convicted of corruption, but then you knew that already and choose to ignore it.. On abuse of power. that probably applies too 95% of all Thai politicians so charging Thaksin is a blatant hypcrisy.

i gave you a reason.

No you didn't.

To give you another, after being elected, he put his criminality on public display.

How did he do that exactly?

While it seems many Thais accept shady business practices, blatant abuses of power are not.

Really? How very inconsistent of them; this crime is acceptable, that is not, Very... child-like.

I think you're on pretty dodgy ground. Perhaps you should have a few more facts in your gunny-bag, because in adult company, what you are saying is not actually supported by anything but propaganda and it therefore lacks credibility. What you have is in fact a faith stance, it's what you want to believe, and I could make a shrewd guess as to the reason for that. Many foreigner Thaksin-haters should consider listening to someone a bit smarter and without a skirt

I think you're flogging a dead horse here my friend.

If you are expecting me to explain the last 15 years of Thai politics to some newbie (or recycled) poster, it's not a dead horse you're flogging.

Start handing out 30 year prison sentences and see what happens to corruption after that.

Nothing... Thais are Fearless

I think you meant reckless. Place them on the front of the telly and watch them pee their pants when a phii appears in their daily lakorn. Or better yet, conjure up a scenario where a Thai would lose face and you'll see pure 100% fear based action.

Besides, 30y is a completely abstract idea for some one living from one somtam to the next, ie. 15 mins max.Now, take away their somtam and you'll see a violent reaction. Hence, I propose cutting the supply stream for politicians. Let them eat cake.

Start handing out 30 year prison sentences and see what happens to corruption after that.

Nothing... Thais are Fearless

I think you meant reckless. Place them on the front of the telly and watch them pee their pants when a phii appears in their daily lakorn. Or better yet, conjure up a scenario where a Thai would lose face and you'll see pure 100% fear based action.

Besides, 30y is a completely abstract idea for some one living from one somtam to the next, ie. 15 mins max.Now, take away their somtam and you'll see a violent reaction. Hence, I propose cutting the supply stream for politicians. Let them eat cake.

Correct. Draconian penalties are ineffective because the people involved delude themselves that they won't get caught.

OTOH 30 year sentences, like the death penalty, cut down on recidivism.

About time this is implemented.

It shows where ones priorities are when instead of trying to give amnesty to 25 000 corrupt people thus showing that crime does pay the govt is trying to strengthen the law to make the corrupt even more accountable.

When one side tries to give corruption carte blanch though impunity I hear silence. When the other side want to enforce stronger deterrence to corruption I hear complaining.

Well done. This govt have certainly got a second wind of late with their respect for the majority and their fight to suppress the criminal elements in society.

Of course the criminal elements will be the most vocal to this current initiative.

It shows where ones priorities are when instead of trying to give amnesty to 25 000 corrupt people thus showing that crime does pay the govt is trying to strengthen the law to make the corrupt even more accountable.

When one side tries to give corruption carte blanch though impunity I hear silence. When the other side want to enforce stronger deterrence to corruption I hear complaining.

Well done. This govt have certainly got a second wind of late with their respect for the majority and their fight to suppress the criminal elements in society.

Of course the criminal elements will be the most vocal to this current initiative.

I don't think you read the bit about it not being retroactive.

Edited by cumgranosalum

And what of the corrupt people in the government? Army? pollies? police? Who will guard against them? Other Army, pollies and Police? Not very likely, and I imagine all the afore-mentioned are more corrupt than the people you and others hate so much ever knew how to be. Lots of expats in TL (especially the BPB), need to take more care about who they listen to and to think with their head rather than their glans. To paraphrase Forrest Gump's mum, gullible is as gulllible does. One should never believe something someone says just to please them, that's what Thais do.

In TL, corruption is the norm, not the exception, it's important to understand that.

It should happen,but won't,even if it was passed,

it would be quickly changed by the next democratic,

but undoubtedly corrupt government.

regards Worgeordie

So don't hurry with "democratic" elections. Let this government do their job first.

Even if it takes a bit longer

And what of the corrupt people in the government? Army? pollies? police? Who will guard against them? Other Army, pollies and Police? Not very likely, and I imagine all the afore-mentioned are more corrupt than the people you and others hate so much ever knew how to be. Lots of expats in TL (especially the BPB), need to take more care about who they listen to and to think with their head rather than their glans. To paraphrase Forrest Gump's mum, gullible is as gulllible does. One should never believe something someone says just to please them, that's what Thais do.

In TL, corruption is the norm, not the exception, it's important to understand that.

So you mean "don't change anything, It's useless. Right?

So you mean "don't change anything, It's useless. Right?

Quite frankly if one is going to comment on a discussion like this it behoves the poster to get at least a little familiarised with the background in which this is set.

Corruption, graft and nepotism is the rule in Thailand and one needs to bear this in mind. If so one realises that dictums like this are all too familiar by successive administrations....... the conclusion then is that any scant knowledge of Thai governing culture would suggest that this idea is flawed.

In answer to the suggestion that the only alternative is to do nothing is just a non-sequitur - Action is needed and needed badly, but it needs to be the correct action; what would be nice is to see concrete and plausible measures to address the lack of democratic institutions that make corruption a less predominant factor in both Thai politics and life in general in the Kingdom.

One has to conclude that this is unlikely to issue from a government without opposition and a judiciary that to say the least is politically controlled.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Quite frankly if one is going to comment on a discussion like this it behoves the poster to get at least a little familiarised with the background in which this is set.

Corruption, graft and nepotism is the rule in Thailand and one needs to bear this in mind. If so one realises that dictums like this are all too familiar by successive administrations....... the conclusion then is that any scant knowledge of Thai governing culture would suggest that this idea is flawed.

In answer to the suggestion that the only alternative is to do nothing is just a non-sequitur - Action is needed and needed badly, but it needs to be the correct action; what would be nice is to see concrete and plausible measures to address the lack of democratic institutions that make corruption a less predominant factor in both Thai politics and life in general in the Kingdom.

One has to conclude that this is unlikely to issue from a government without opposition and a judiciary that to say the least is politically controlled.

Of course, it is indeed a non-equitur - or for Jamie: "it doesn't follow". In fact the whole argument that these people try to put forward is a nonsense from start to finish. Likely they've lived in TL for about 10 minutes and still have the touristy stars in their eyes.

It seems there are still a few expats who haven't yet nmanaged to understand what the current bunch of corrupt officials calling themselves the government, are actually up to.

Hard though it may be to believe.

Still, it takes all sorts to make a world.

I just find it hard to believe.

That every member of the current government.

And every member of the new selection committee.

And every high ranking member of the armed forces.

Has never been and will never be involved with corruption, in any way shape or form.

Wow. this government really is a miracle for Thailand.

Get ready for a corruption free country. Chai yo