Question re high and low ride pickups

giddyup

yeah, very old and worn rails cheesy.gif
Have you ever watched proper pick-up racing. OK they spend a little more on their trucks but you get the idea I'm sure.

You mentioned racing again, now you lost everybody, they don't spend a whole lot more on their suspension, many use the same as they'd use on the street when lowering.

The front runners spend a lot of money on suspension.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically look what a quick search popped up?

http://www.alltruckracing.com/pickup-truck-racing.html

Note the signage in the background? Though it's a western website..

Pickup-Truck-Racing.jpg

Lowered but not a "low rider", easily driven on the street and likely, being Thailand, was driven to this race like most are. FYI I did not even search Thailand pick up truck racing when this came up..

How about this jpeg? See any pickup trucks in this jpeg that might be lowered but still streetable? That answer is, ALL OF THEM..

TruckLineUp9583850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CAC

These were searched for Thailand, it's fact that a large portion of these was driven there as well. They actually have to be registered to drive on the road.

TruckRaceCanyon9411850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE

Get it now?

TruckRaceCorner9416850.jpg?__SQUARESPACERaceTruckSpeed9528850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

Which of those are registered for road use and driven there ?

None of the front runners I can guarantee.

Pickup-Truck-Racing.jpg

Lowered but not a "low rider", easily driven on the street and likely, being Thailand, was driven to this race like most are. FYI I did not even search Thailand pick up truck racing when this came up..

How about this jpeg? See any pickup trucks in this jpeg that might be lowered but still streetable? That answer is, ALL OF THEM..

These were searched for Thailand, it's fact that a large portion of these was driven there as well. They actually have to be registered to drive on the road.

Get it now?

TruckRaceCorner9416850.jpg?__SQUARESPACERaceTruckSpeed9528850.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

Actually, there are no special rules for race cars in TH. All cars must be registered for road use.

Strange yes, but also true,

Any of these can be legally driven on public roads.

Edited by IMHO

Get it now?

Actually, there are no special rules for race cars in TH. All cars must be registered for road use.

Nope, wrong. None of the Group one cars are road registered, infact most are here on temp import permits for race use.

I know first hand atleast 3 pickups that run the TSS super pickup series that do not even have chassis numbers as they were built from brand new replacement body shells.

Edited by Don Mega

Fully agree. I know this is about pickups or utes as we call them back home, and guess who invented them, the Aussies from Ford Australia and it was first sold in 1934.

An Aussie pig farmer's wife might be the one commonly attributed to suggesting the 'ute', but pickups came along way before then... there was even one based on the Ford Model T...

Yes, you are correct, my apologies to the yanks, they had a pickup, we had the ute. It appears that Chevrolet made one in 1918, if you could call it that.

C1-1.gif

Nope, wrong. None of the Group one cars are road registered, infact most are here on temp import permits for race use.

I know first hand atleast 3 pickups that run the TSS super pickup series that do not even have chassis numbers as they were built from brand new replacement body shells.

Interesting - now I'm curious though - where are they importing these Thai made pickups from?

Interesting - now I'm curious though - where are they importing these Thai made pickups from?

Hmmm I thought you was clued up on the Thai auto industry but I'll let you in on a little secret, all the big players (ford/Mazda/Izuzu/toyota/Chevrolet) make bodies locally.

win win for all, no need to import.

Edited by Don Mega

Why would you need to import Thai made?

Or an even better question, how do you race a Thai made pickup in Thailand, without DLT registration, because it's here on a temporary import permit? :)

Or an even better question, how do you race a Thai made pickup in Thailand, without DLT registration, because it's here on a temporary import permit? smile.png

What makes you think the thai made pickup is here on a temp import permit ?

seems to me you are confusing yourself but to be clear you said "Actually, there are no special rules for race cars in TH. All cars must be registered for road use."

My reply to that is most of the group one cars are on temp import..... you know, them ferraris/porsches/audis/chevrolets/holdens etc etc etc.

Are you telling me they are not on temp imports but are infact legally taxed and road registered in Thailand ?

seems to me you are confusing yourself but to be clear you said "Actually, there are no special rules for race cars in TH. All cars must be registered for road use."

My reply to that is most of the group one cars are on temp import..... you know, them ferraris/porsches/audis/chevrolets/holdens etc etc etc.

Are you telling me they are not on temp imports but are infact legally taxed and road registered in Thailand ?

Sorry mate, given the thread topic, and the photos of race pickups, and the question of how many of these could be driven on the road, that's the context I was working under smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Thank you. It's just that I have never seen in any of the manufactures brochures a "low rider" option, so I wasn't sure if they had been done as an aftermarket option or from the factory.

I know the ones you mean and it hasn't really been clearly answered for you whether they come from the factory as low as that. Myself, I have always thought that it was a "to look cool" thing.

yeaaaaa! 39 posts to get to the answer. it looks cool. now lets add 'it happens all over the world' to the thread.

coming up next-

why do they stick plastic film which is designed to look like carbon fibre all over their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they do anything at all to alter the appearance of their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they fill half the ampur with black smoke when they pull away from the lights?

'because it looks........ well actually that looks pretty dumb as its unburnt fuel but to them it 'looks cool'

You missed my point. I was asking if the low ride versions came from the factory like that, and the answer is, some models do and some don't. I wasn't particularly interested in the aftermarket modded versions by boy racers, but the low ride factory pickups.

Ya, it seems most here missed your point, what was it again? coffee1.gifblink.png !@#$%%$$...............

I know the ones you mean and it hasn't really been clearly answered for you whether they come from the factory as low as that. Myself, I have always thought that it was a "to look cool" thing.

yeaaaaa! 39 posts to get to the answer. it looks cool. now lets add 'it happens all over the world' to the thread.

coming up next-

why do they stick plastic film which is designed to look like carbon fibre all over their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they do anything at all to alter the appearance of their cars?

'because it looks cool'

why do they fill half the ampur with black smoke when they pull away from the lights?

'because it looks........ well actually that looks pretty dumb as its unburnt fuel but to them it 'looks cool'

You missed my point. I was asking if the low ride versions came from the factory like that, and the answer is, some models do and some don't. I wasn't particularly interested in the aftermarket modded versions by boy racers, but the low ride factory pickups.

They're not low ride models, they're normal, regular ride models. The others are raised up.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread in motoring forum history.

One more on my "ignore" list coffee1.gif

I'm surprised you're allowed you to say that, I wasn't? Agree 100% though, the Op was never capable of even relating to the forum what his perception of "lowered" was and then got snooty with anyone who posted to try to set him straight which was his OP in the first place. Should have left this thread to the few who understand his unique form of comprehension. I see I'm not alone, I'll practice that in the future and let him figure out his own way with his "unique" questions.................................

They're not low ride models, they're normal, regular ride models. The others are raised up.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread in motoring forum history.

One more on my "ignore" list coffee1.gif

It was a pretty innocent question, that just got a bit out of control.

The OP went out and bought a pickup w/out even understanding the range of options available. Lucky for him he landed on his feet with a heavily discounted Triton Plus smile.png

@OP: No offense tongue.png

No, I didn't I well researched what I wanted before I bought and am perfectly happy with my choice. I would not have been the slightest bit interested in purchasing a low ride model. My question, 7 months after I bought the Triton, is because a neighbour has in fact a low ride model, and I wanted to know if it could have come from the factory like that or been modified after. With some of the more sensible answers I've received, it appears that he has a modified pickup. Does that clear it up for you IMHO?

I really wasn't having "a go" at you, mate. All good smile.png

A bit on the thin edge that one..

yeah, very old and worn rails cheesy.gif
Have you ever watched proper pick-up racing. OK they spend a little more on their trucks but you get the idea I'm sure.

You mentioned racing again, now you lost everybody, they don't spend a whole lot more on their suspension, many use the same as they'd use on the street when lowering.

The front runners spend a lot of money on suspension.

My point was so do many street tuners. so not such a difference price wise on many race trucks versus street trucks.

Pickup-Truck-Racing.jpg

Get it now?

Really? Since when Spooner? It was always required in the street tuner classes that they had to be able to be registered and that was a requirement just like the other spec classes. I've personally seen many of them drive there with tires in the back and then leave after the race driving on the street with tags. But.. That isn't the point is it? That's just an argument and my post isn't limited to the "front runners" and quite frankly has nothing to do with the post in it's entirety, it's about the ride height.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Get it now?

Group 1 race cars are race cars, not made for street tuner classes and therefore not part of the post, either mine or IMHO. Spooner, stop being so pedantic and difficult, no one is speaking about those, that's just trolling, we're not stupid. Regardless of who they paid to get their rules superseded the general rules require registered vehicles, it is Thailand after all, rules are all too often bent or waved in favor of certain competitors, one massive reason I wouldn't waste my time to compete there unless I was associated with a higher end Thai team, but that created it's own obstacles. The technicality we ALL know about here is that they are MANUFACTURED for the road and could/should be registered, first and foremost. I'll not continue this off topic conversation over such pedantic nonsense.

Sorry mate, given the thread topic, and the photos of race pickups, and the question of how many of these could be driven on the road, that's the context I was working under smile.png

coffee1.gifwhistling.gif Obviously some missing the tongue in cheek, sarcasm. facepalm.gifwai.gif

Warpspeed

I'm surprised you're allowed you to say that, I wasn't? Agree 100% though, the Op was never capable of even relating to the forum what his perception of "lowered" was and then got snooty with anyone who posted to try to set him straight which was his OP in the first place. Should have left this thread to the few who understand his unique form of comprehension. I see I'm not alone, I'll practice that in the future and let him figure out his own way with his "unique" questions.................................

Ya, it seems most here missed your point, what was it again? coffee1.gifblink.png !@#$%%$$...............

You still here? Thought this post was "ignorant and trolling" according to you, yet you keep coming back for more.Pretty obvious who the troll is.

Edited by giddyup

Synchronized Swimming is its Twinned Sport.....Dont know why though , as the Swimming Competitors are really worth knowing.wub.png

I'm getting confused now ...... is synchronized swimming twinned with pick-up truck racing or do synchronized swimmers have different ride heights?

Oh Giddyup, look what you have done. A simple question has turned into a 5 page nightmare. shock1.gif And shock, horror, no one has blamed the boss yet. whistling.gif

Obviously not simple enough for some.

Oh Giddyup, look what you have done. A simple question has turned into a 5 page nightmare. shock1.gif And shock, horror, no one has blamed the boss yet. whistling.gif

Obviously not simple enough for some.

Or too hard for the simple ones?

Warpy and IMHO, I need to apologize to both of you as you are both correct about the rego stuff.

There was some guys from TSS at my work today inspecting a race car and I took the opportunity to ask about the rego stuff.

He said they all need to be road registered in Thailand to be eligible to race with the exception of vehicles here on temp import papers for race purposes.

I asked about the vehicles that are not taxed and road registered and/or have no vin numbers..... he just said money talks and winked.

So with hat in hand I humbly offer you both an apology, you were both correct and I was very much wrong.

Warpy and IMHO, I need to apologize to both of you as you are both correct about the rego stuff.

There was some guys from TSS at my work today inspecting a race car and I took the opportunity to ask about the rego stuff.

He said they all need to be road registered in Thailand to be eligible to race with the exception of vehicles here on temp import papers for race purposes.

I asked about the vehicles that are not taxed and road registered and/or have no vin numbers..... he just said money talks and winked.

So with hat in hand I humbly offer you both an apology, you were both correct and I was very much wrong.

No love lost, mate. All good :)

Stand up post, regards and respect..

Edited by WarpSpeed