Being Thai: Has patriotism in Thailand gone too far?

webfact

I agree with your post. I was very surprised to learn that just forty years ago the overwhelming majority population of Phuket were Chinese who, as you said, had migrated and operated all the tin mines here. The next percentage were ethnic Malay, the Thai population was miniscule in comparison. However, although they do of course now speak Thai as a first language, many of them retain their mother tongue. Another thing that struck during my many visits to an old Chinese friend at his business in town was that his entire circle of friends were Chinese and a sprinkling of farang. Not one Thai! They kind of laugh at them unsure.png

Yes totally true.

Not sure when people say these are misconceptions. I too have many Thai-Chinese friends, nice professional people such as doctors, nurses and other civil servants.

They have a different work ethic and do kind of look down on the Thais. As a pharmacist friend says, the Thai-Chinese work harder, that`s why they only marry their own kind. These are her and her friends general perceptions of Thais.

I have just recruited a Thai-Chinese girl, her parents were born in China yet her and her sisters and their subsequent children were born here. Her views echo what some of us know already. Yes they are Thai, but somewhat smarter and more well off! haha

This stuff about the `migration` stopping after the war really is a `misconception`. My new member of staff informs me her father works for the `Chinese community`. Kind of like a charity that helps Chinese families in Korat. She tells me that there are these organizations in every city in Thailand. Chinese business men come to Thailand, some marry, settle here in Thailand so the cycle continues.

It makes you wonder, if the Thai-Chinese were not here, what would the country be like? Just wondering.

Long time ago I'd asked my Thai tutor 'why the hate on the Chinese?' She said 'They say we are lazy and stupid'. I replied 'Poot jing nit noy' laugh.png

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people live in Thai-land, an unique place full of Thai culture. All Thai speak the Thai language and love their Thai country. Thai children go to Thai schools where Thai teachers tell them about the Thai language, the Thai culture and Thai logic so these Thai children will stay pure Thai. Thai children become Thai adolescents and these Thai girls and Thai boys make Thai love and beget more Thai children.

Thai farmers sow Thai seeds in Thai ricefields. Thai monks pray in Thai tempels to soothe Thai karma.

All Thai children care for their Thai parents. When Thai parents are getting older they suffer from Thai diseases, go to Thai hospitals where Thai doctors give them Thai medicines. In the end they die, like people everywhere, and they are cremated in the Thai way.

Funny but so true.

The irony is though, as nationalistic as they are, they`ve let the Chinese come in and take over completely. The now Thai-Chinese own most of the land in towns, most of the big businesses and definitely all the mercs and beemers! haha

Then if you take a short trip out of town, not only does the skin tone change but also peoples wealth, standard of living and so on.

I think that's a bit of a misconception, mainly conveyed amongst expats. Years ago, decades to be exact, many Chinese (mostly men) came to Thailand as merchants, to escape war, famine and upheavals back in China and ended up marrying local women, to create the Thai-Chinese we see today. This migration mostly ended a few years after the end of World War II. However, in the process, various Thai governments from all political spectrums have created a national identity through a common language and culture, often at the expense of the original culture. Therefore, Thai-Chinese had to abandon their original Chinese names, start speaking Thai (and only Thai in most cases) and in the process were given Thai nationality, which has been handed down to the next generation.

Current Thai-Chinese think of themselves as Thais, first and foremost. Very few identify with China, very few have even been there and just as few still speak any Chinese dialect, with the exception of a few aging geriatrics who mostly do not pass down these languages to their children and grandchildren, thinking they are mostly useless anyway (and they are right, as far as living in Thailand is concerned). Only those Thais who engage with China or want their children to engage with China see any merit in showcasing their Chinese ethnicity and learning the Chinese national language (Mandarin), but that is not limited to only those Thais with Chinese ethnicity; many non-ethnic Chinese Thais are also learning Chinese and doing business with China these days.

These days many ethnic Chinese Thais are wary of the new generation of Chinese travellers, tourists and businessmen and would never allow them to take a foothold in their country. Many critics of Chinese tourists and their social habits have been ethnic Chinese-Thais themselves.

It is a good point you bring up about Chinese names. In the early 1900's, the then King was concerned that the Chinese merchants were beginning to establish monopolies and pushing ethnic Thai traders out of the market. The government brought in a law that all shops must display a Thai name on it's hoarding as the main trading name. That's why most Chinese shops even today, have a Thai name but in a corner of the hoarding displays a Chinese name in Chinese characters. You will see some were this is the opposite.

Additionally the ethnic Chinese living in Thailand were requested to adopt Thai family names. The government made up Thai names and distributed them, some were auctioned. Generally these names were very long, up to 3 or 4 syllables, and are still seen today in the well healed. A lot of these "new" names had a theme to them. Luck, prosperity and money. If a name finishes with "....sin", that is one that means money. Ching ching.

Original Thai names are generally only 2 syllables.

Thai people live in Thai-land, an unique place full of Thai culture. All Thai speak the Thai language and love their Thai country. Thai children go to Thai schools where Thai teachers tell them about the Thai language, the Thai culture and Thai logic so these Thai children will stay pure Thai. Thai children become Thai adolescents and these Thai girls and Thai boys make Thai love and beget more Thai children.

Thai farmers sow Thai seeds in Thai ricefields. Thai monks pray in Thai tempels to soothe Thai karma.

All Thai children care for their Thai parents. When Thai parents are getting older they suffer from Thai diseases, go to Thai hospitals where Thai doctors give them Thai medicines. In the end they die, like people everywhere, and they are cremated in the Thai way.

Funny but so true.

The irony is though, as nationalistic as they are, they`ve let the Chinese come in and take over completely. The now Thai-Chinese own most of the land in towns, most of the big businesses and definitely all the mercs and beemers! haha

Then if you take a short trip out of town, not only does the skin tone change but also peoples wealth, standard of living and so on.

The skin tones change because Thailand is an amalgamation of different peoples. The earliest Thai-speaking people came from SW China. There was a huge influx of Chinese during the end of the Qing and beginning of the Republican periods. They've been mixing with Khmer and Malay and even some Indian people for a very long time; Thailand then annexed or conquered parts of Laos and the Khmer kingdom, and thus there are distinctly part-Khmer and Lao Thais (of course the Issan dialect is called "Lao" in Thai).

So how pure Thai is Thailand after all? Might that be perhaps why some Thais are so insistent on this notion?

Agreed about the history. Indeed the whole of isaan used to be part of the Khmer empire, right? And don`t forget the Burmese too.

I would argue though (along with some people from south eastern isaan) that some parts of Buriram, Sra Keaw, Surin, Sisaket and probably other provinces too, speak more Thai-Khmer than Lao.

In my personal experiences, the `skin tone` and different features of SOME of the city dwellers is because they are Thai-Chinese, not Malay and definitely not Cambodian.

Patriotism, Love of Country, culture, family all good for any country.

The Greeks are very patriotic about their Country Not The E.U.!

Patriotism binds the people together, promotes self confidence, keep family value intact.

The people are not stupid.

Blind patriotism just puts sticking plasters on problems and allows the powers that be to hide away from issues. If people were more critical, things would sort themselves out in time instead of rising to a massive crescendo.

Funny but so true.

I think that's a bit of a misconception, mainly conveyed amongst expats. Years ago, decades to be exact, many Chinese (mostly men) came to Thailand as merchants, to escape war, famine and upheavals back in China and ended up marrying local women, to create the Thai-Chinese we see today. This migration mostly ended a few years after the end of World War II. However, in the process, various Thai governments from all political spectrums have created a national identity through a common language and culture, often at the expense of the original culture. Therefore, Thai-Chinese had to abandon their original Chinese names, start speaking Thai (and only Thai in most cases) and in the process were given Thai nationality, which has been handed down to the next generation.

Current Thai-Chinese think of themselves as Thais, first and foremost. Very few identify with China, very few have even been there and just as few still speak any Chinese dialect, with the exception of a few aging geriatrics who mostly do not pass down these languages to their children and grandchildren, thinking they are mostly useless anyway (and they are right, as far as living in Thailand is concerned). Only those Thais who engage with China or want their children to engage with China see any merit in showcasing their Chinese ethnicity and learning the Chinese national language (Mandarin), but that is not limited to only those Thais with Chinese ethnicity; many non-ethnic Chinese Thais are also learning Chinese and doing business with China these days.

These days many ethnic Chinese Thais are wary of the new generation of Chinese travellers, tourists and businessmen and would never allow them to take a foothold in their country. Many critics of Chinese tourists and their social habits have been ethnic Chinese-Thais themselves.

It is a good point you bring up about Chinese names. In the early 1900's, the then King was concerned that the Chinese merchants were beginning to establish monopolies and pushing ethnic Thai traders out of the market. The government brought in a law that all shops must display a Thai name on it's hoarding as the main trading name. That's why most Chinese shops even today, have a Thai name but in a corner of the hoarding displays a Chinese name in Chinese characters. You will see some were this is the opposite.

Additionally the ethnic Chinese living in Thailand were requested to adopt Thai family names. The government made up Thai names and distributed them, some were auctioned. Generally these names were very long, up to 3 or 4 syllables, and are still seen today in the well healed. A lot of these "new" names had a theme to them. Luck, prosperity and money. If a name finishes with "....sin", that is one that means money. Ching ching.

Original Thai names are generally only 2 syllables.

The idea that Thai Chinese think of themselves as Thai is a quaint notion. They do however largely marry from their own group and in my experience consider themselves somewhat above the rest of society. They have their own festivals and rather exclusive traditions, business groups and organisations.

They are a class apart.

Gone past the limit of quotes, never had that happen before.

Khun Thai at Heart, follow on from your posting (#96):

One thing I have found, Chinese guys like to marry Thai girls. Why you may ask ? No matriarchal Chinese mother-in-law. Bazinga

I am rather amazed at the overall negativity on this board concerning Thailand, Thai people, and the general Thai culture. Why do so many people discuss Thai behavior from their Western mindset. I first came here 50 years ago and loved the place. I still do. Does it have its warts. Absolutely. However, I don't want Thailand to be like the US where I was born. I settled here because it is different. It's culture for me is much better than what I found in the US and where I see the Us going. It is up to the Thai people to decide what they want in their education system and how they want their country to develop. It is not up to me. Even though I live here- I still consider myself a guest. Have I ever been discriminated against? Yes. However, not often. Have I ever been discriminated against in the Us. Yes and often. I accept Thailand for what it is- the good, the bad and the ugly.

I can only speak on my own behalf, but I do not see as Thai bashing when raising a flag on the nationalism and most importantly the indoctrination that follows it.
Most people think their nation is the greatest, but many nations citizens also accept to scrutinize their past and present, to see the negatives and positives and even looking at other nations to see if they could learn a thing or two.

Thailand and its people has a lot to offer (be it descendants of Chinese, Malay, Khmer, Burmese or whatever), but the very idea that a certain country is better than anything and anybody else, and that there is no need to learn what is outside the country's borders, really holds a nation back. I believe they do have a potential to become a world player like e.g. Singapore. Without a healthy critical discussion on national values - involving all levels of society - you will not move forward as a nation. To have such a discussion there must first of all be independent thinking, learning from history's mistakes and embracing of diversity. That process should start already in kindergarten (or even before).

I can only speak on my own behalf, but I do not see as Thai bashing when raising a flag on the nationalism and most importantly the indoctrination that follows it.

Most people think their nation is the greatest, but many nations citizens also accept to scrutinize their past and present, to see the negatives and positives and even looking at other nations to see if they could learn a thing or two.

Thailand and its people has a lot to offer (be it descendants of Chinese, Malay, Khmer, Burmese or whatever), but the very idea that a certain country is better than anything and anybody else, and that there is no need to learn what is outside the country's borders, really holds a nation back. I believe they do have a potential to become a world player like e.g. Singapore. Without a healthy critical discussion on national values - involving all levels of society - you will not move forward as a nation. To have such a discussion there must first of all be independent thinking, learning from history's mistakes and embracing of diversity. That process should start already in kindergarten (or even before).

Agree, well said..

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

I tried reading that but got tongue-thaid.

This reminds me of something I've noticed with regards to how the students here are taught to write. My brother in law teaches at a nearby high school and whenever he's grading essays or helping students with speeches, the nationality "Thai" must, for some reason, be liberally peppered throughout the copy. For example, they never write "we should always help other people in need...", they write "we should always help other Thai people in need...".

Similarly, there's Thai PBS. As if people might mistake it for German PBS or Canadian PBS if it were missing the "Thai" prefix. Then of course there's the Royal Thai Police, with the nationality helpfully inserted into the agency's name just to make sure you didn't think we were referring to the Royal Danish Police here in Thailand. Many more examples abound. It's as if the people - excuse me - the Thai people need to be constantly reminded what country they're in.

I'm Thai but raised in the US. Over there I don't remember them saying goofy things like "American PBS" or the "American FBI". It was just assumed that people already knew what country they're in.

Edited by Phoebee

This reminds me of something I've noticed with regards to how the students here are taught to write. My brother in law teaches at a nearby high school and whenever he's grading essays or helping students with speeches, the nationality "Thai" must, for some reason, be liberally peppered throughout the copy. For example, they never write "we should always help other people in need...", they write "we should always help other Thai people in need...".

Similarly, there's Thai PBS. As if people might mistake it for German PBS or Canadian PBS if it were missing the "Thai" prefix. Then of course there's the Royal Thai Police, with the nationality helpfully inserted into the agency's name just to make sure you didn't think we were referring to the Royal Danish Police here in Thailand. Many more examples abound. It's as if the people - excuse me - the Thai people need to be constantly reminded what country they're in.

I'm Thai but raised in the US. Over there I don't remember them saying goofy things like "American PBS" or the "American FBI". It was just assumed that people already knew what country they're in.

Yes, so true. It reminds me of the way foreigners talk about people in Thailand. You will rarely hear people saying: ‘I met an American in New York who told me.....’ or ‘I saw a beautiful Dutch lady in Amsterdam....’. A Russian in New York is different of course.

But in Thailand foreigners nearly always mention the ‘Thai’ word. ‘ I gave a present to a Thai boy in Chiang Mai’ , ‘In Buriram I talked to two Thai farmers and...’ , ‘That Thai man got very angry’. Not ‘that man’ but ‘that Thai man’.

It’s kind of weird to always hear foreigners emphasize the Thainess of people they talk about as if Thainess is their most important and striking quality, more important than their humanity.

We all know well enough that the brain washing of Thai people has always been a part of the Thai culture....and seemingly they have never minded one bit at all ...being brainwashed that is...in a benevolent way that you could argue more or less covers up the sinister aspects of an orchestrated effort to brain wash the citizens of any nation.

Cheers

I gather you don't feel that Thais have a global perspective. You may be right.

Most Thais are hopelessly stupid and the good ones who try to exercise what we take for granted as our freedom of speech, are put in prison for years. Of course , most foreigners here couldn't care less and never read the news at " Prachatai English".

Patriotism, Love of Country, culture, family all good for any country.

The Greeks are very patriotic about their Country Not The E.U.!

Patriotism binds the people together, promotes self confidence, keep family value intact.

The people are not stupid.

Patriotism is just a euphemism for nationalism and it's for fools and morons.

I should not have said that most "Thais" are stupid, but rather-

Most people are hopelessly stupid and the good ones in Thailand who try to exercise what we take for granted as our freedom of speech, are put in prison for years. Of course , most foreigners here couldn't care less and never read the news at " Prachatai English".

Start reading it !!

Edited by taiwanatoa

Most Thais are hopelessly stupid and the good ones who try to exercise what we take for granted as our freedom of speech, are put in prison for years. Of course , most foreigners here couldn't care less and never read the news at " Prachatai English".

The scary ones are the pooyais with little brain. Seems the current govt has plenty. Drinking ban anyone?

I love America!

Thank you for your illuminating contribution to this forum
you got an erection ? smile.png

No, those were the days, your post reminded me of an American girl who gave me a quick blow job on a train in England while her American boyfriend went in search of the toilet, there wasn't one

Funny but so true.

The skin tones change because Thailand is an amalgamation of different peoples. The earliest Thai-speaking people came from SW China. There was a huge influx of Chinese during the end of the Qing and beginning of the Republican periods. They've been mixing with Khmer and Malay and even some Indian people for a very long time; Thailand then annexed or conquered parts of Laos and the Khmer kingdom, and thus there are distinctly part-Khmer and Lao Thais (of course the Issan dialect is called "Lao" in Thai).

So how pure Thai is Thailand after all? Might that be perhaps why some Thais are so insistent on this notion?

Skin tones change with a lifetime exposure to the sun, from being outside all day..skin lightening women need not apply for (this) job.. Edited by KonaRain

Yes, so true. It reminds me of the way foreigners talk about people in Thailand. You will rarely hear people saying: ‘I met an American in New York who told me.....’ or ‘I saw a beautiful Dutch lady in Amsterdam....’. A Russian in New York is different of course.

But in Thailand foreigners nearly always mention the ‘Thai’ word. ‘ I gave a present to a Thai boy in Chiang Mai’ , ‘In Buriram I talked to two Thai farmers and...’ , ‘That Thai man got very angry’. Not ‘that man’ but ‘that Thai man’.

It’s kind of weird to always hear foreigners emphasize the Thainess of people they talk about as if Thainess is their most important and striking quality, more important than their humanity.

Clearly, these fellow's subconscience minds feel aversion to being called Farang all the time. It must be the most overused word in the Thai language. There is little humanity shown here to us. We are moslty unwanted guests. They do well at tolerating us though, I will admit.

Can't blame the Thais really. They have never really had a chance to think anything else.

It will all come out in the wash though.