Cambodia tells U.S. not to interfere in its judicial affairs

Jonathan Fairfield

Cambodia tells U.S. not to interfere in its judicial affairs

PHNOM PENH, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia has urged the United States to stop interfering in its judicial affairs, saying that the country is a sovereign state, according to a statement of the government Press and Quick Reaction Unit.

"The U.S. announcement to support the criminals and not to respect the court's decision is a completely wrong act and can be considered as an intention to increase anarchy and to destroy security and harmony in the whole Cambodian society," said the statement which was released Saturday night.

It added that the Cambodian government could not interfere in the judicial system, which is an independent institution.

"Any order on the government to interfere in the judicial affairs is absolutely unacceptable and is against the principle of law, which was stated in the Constitution," the statement said, urging the U.S. to "immediately stop violating the jurisdiction of the Cambodia's judicial system."

Sorry, Cambodia, but the statement I just read from the Chinese news article in Xinhua, just said the U.S. is watching the procedings and it encouraged the carrying out the legal proceedings transparently, consistent to international law. I am not surprised at Cambodia's reaction. the same can be see reflected in other countries in the area. viewed as an "internal affairs". The world has changed somewhat and internal affairs will be watched internationally. If there are questions of fairness or trying to control opposition, it will be duly noted and possible international actions taken.

I say this is fair in watching U.S. actions also, so I am not being one way when watching Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand or China"s unilateral claim to some 80% of the South China Sea. A good deal of the globe takes a different approach to saving face.

United States to stop interfering in its judicial affairs, saying that the country is a sovereign state,

The US considers itself to be an "exceptional" country...with the US dollar and strong military...it feels entitled to interfere in any sovereign state where it is in the "best interest" of the US...

Often sited is "interest of US security"...as a ruse for interference...

Because of this meddling...countries around the world have made economic and military alliances to resist the demands of Washington...

It is just a matter of time before the US finds itself somewhat isolated from many of the sovereign states of the world...

Isolated....yeah right.

By it's traiding and lending partners or the countries that get billions in aid. Oh, maybe you were thinking about Cuba.

Edited by NickJ

United States to stop interfering in its judicial affairs, saying that the country is a sovereign state,

The US considers itself to be an "exceptional" country...with the US dollar and strong military...it feels entitled to interfere in any sovereign state where it is in the "best interest" of the US...

Often sited is "interest of US security"...as a ruse for interference...

Because of this meddling...countries around the world have made economic and military alliances to resist the demands of Washington...

It is just a matter of time before the US finds itself somewhat isolated from many of the sovereign states of the world...

The USA tried isolation prior to WWI and WWII.

The nation learned that didn't work well in the long run.

This is Cambodia's laughable idea of a diplomatic response. They've got a good kleptocracy going there and don't nobody dare criticize it.

And as to any sort of political protest? Engage in it and you'll find yourself doing 20 in the big house, one of the worst pigsty prisons in Southeast Asia.

I mean, after all, protesters are nothing more than criminals who "increase anarchy" and "destroy security and harmony in the whole Cambodian society." That says it all right there.

Edited by Lex Talionis

I don't know why I am always surprised to hear in South East Asia, that America "is interfering" just because an opinion was expressed. Is that the best that they can come up with?

Maybe they have good reason to resent American "Interference" in their country

http://www.yale.edu/cgp/Walrus_CambodiaBombing_OCT06.pdf

The still-incomplete database (it has several “dark” periods) reveals that from October 4, 1965, to August 15, 1973, the United States dropped far more ordnance on Cambodia than was previously believed: 2,756,941 tons’ worth, dropped in 230,516 sorties on 113,716 sites. Just over 10 percent of this bombing was indiscriminate, with 3,580 of the sites listed as having “unknown” targets and another 8,238 sites having no target listed at all