Ex-'Top Gear' trio to host new car show for Amazon Prime

webfact

Ex-'Top Gear' trio to host new car show for Amazon Prime

LONDON (AP) — The former hosts of the BBC's popular "Top Gear" program, who left amid scandal over an off-set dustup, have signed up to present a new car show for broadcaster Amazon Prime.

Amazon said Thursday that Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have committed to three series of the show, with the first to be broadcast in 2016.

Clarkson said moving to Amazon's streaming service felt "like I've climbed out of a biplane and into a spaceship."

Clarkson was fired in March after he punched a producer during an off-set altercation. The show's two other hosts also left

"Top Gear" has won a huge global following with its mix of car tips, driving stunts and jokey banter. The BBC says the show will continue with new hosts.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-31

I hope it gives Chris Evans with his monstrous ego another lesson in humility when he starts his sycophantic suck-ups to all the famous guests on the new top-gear and it bombs.

I'm not the biggest fan of these guys, but at least they each have their own depth of character.

Good luck to them.

I saw an article on a F1 site saying that Jenson Button was in talks to be the new host of Top gear.

That would be a good trick, considering they have already announced Chris Evans as the new host on BBC... Besides, Jens is still under contract to McLaren, for whatever that is worth this year...

I like cars and I use to like Top Gear. This last couple of seasons were just awful. Boring programs of manufactured challenges between the trio. I'd be fast forwarding through the entire program waiting for someone to drive a supercar. Sorry, little of that.

Top Gear jumped the shark.

Combined with a boring program, there is the complete a*&h%$# Clarkson punching an underling for not getting dinner ready. What a dick.

So much for Top Gear.

Amazon said Thursday that Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have committed to three series of the show, with the first to be broadcast in 2016.

Clarkson said moving to Amazon's streaming service felt "like I've climbed out of a biplane and into a spaceship."

Clarkson was fired in March after he punched a producer during an off-set altercation. The show's two other hosts also left

"Top Gear" has won a huge global following with its mix of car tips, driving stunts and jokey banter. The BBC says the show will continue with new hosts.

Amazon Prime has recognized Top Gear has huge potential to draw more viewers thus attracting higher profits, some TV members just can't seem to grasp that, obviously the huge global following are stupid if you didn't like it perhaps you should have been watching Fifth Gear

For me its great news and I look forward to the next 3 series with Clarkson's satirical humor

Never liked them nor the big mouth guy. Good look and adieu.

Agree. Just proves you can be an oaf and get away with assault in the UK if you happen to be a "celebrity" and work for the PC very left leaning "understanding" BBC, whose boundless patience he somehow managed to use up.

I'll wager that Evans and who ever they get on board will actually revive it and do very well indeed, the Amazon thing with the Has beens will be the one that bombs, they all got too big for their boots, evans on the other hand is a real Petrol head and in touch with people on the street, have a look at the figures for TFI screened few weeks back, my youngest daughter (22) watched it with me and commented how good the show was and why they do not put it back on as there is nothing for music and having a laf too at end of week

I used to love Top Gear but as been said the last couple of years just started to get crap and stupid and James may gets money for old rope, talk about boaring and no charisma? is like a Librarian and about as exciting

Amazon Prime has recognized Top Gear has huge potential to draw more viewers thus attracting higher profits, some TV members just can't seem to grasp that, obviously the huge global following are stupid if you didn't like it perhaps you should have been watching Fifth Gear

For me its great news and I look forward to the next 3 series with Clarkson's satirical humor

Satirical Humour?!! Ha ha ha Jeremy Clarkson wouldn't know satirical humour if it jumped up and bit him on the a*se! Although i would agree that he is God's gift to satirists.

Would you be willing to subscribe to Amazon Prime and pay an extra $80 (or whatever) to watch per series?

I too believe that the new Top Gear will not bomb, just as the Clarkson, Hammond and May team will be a major success with their loyal followers, because the reality is that just as many car enthusiasts didn't like how Clarkson shaped the show, as loved the trio. Sunni / Shia split. If both programs are savvy, they'll acknowledge the existence of each other in their respective series and could make an ongoing comical saga out of it.

Boys talking about cars. Really must imo rank as the most shallow dull tedious television possible the bbc or was it itv went up a notch in my estimation when they got rid

rijit

Edited by rijit

In situations such as this I am always bemused by the people who feel they have to comment about how bad the show was.

One question to them; if you didn't like it, why did you watch it?

I enjoyed Clarkson's Top Gear, but like any magazine programme of this type found some of the items uninteresting.

ITV wanted the trio enough to offer them £10m, but unfortunately the terms of their BBC contract made a simple channel hop to a terrestrial, cable or satellite channel, albeit under a new name as the BBC hold the copyright on Top Gear, impossible for at least two years.

So a streaming service was the only option for now. Unfortunately, like many others, paying £80 a year to Amazon just for the one show is too much for me.

However, good luck to them and good luck also to Chris Evans, who has repeatedly said he intends to respect Clarkson et al's legacy and, whilst not making a direct copy, make his Top Gear as much like the previous one as is possible.

In situations such as this I am always bemused by the people who feel they have to comment about how bad the show was.

One question to them; if you didn't like it, why did you watch it?

I enjoyed Clarkson's Top Gear, but like any magazine programme of this type found some of the items uninteresting.

ITV wanted the trio enough to offer them £10m, but unfortunately the terms of their BBC contract made a simple channel hop to a terrestrial, cable or satellite channel, albeit under a new name as the BBC hold the copyright on Top Gear, impossible for at least two years.

So a streaming service was the only option for now. Unfortunately, like many others, paying £80 a year to Amazon just for the one show is too much for me.

However, good luck to them and good luck also to Chris Evans, who has repeatedly said he intends to respect Clarkson et al's legacy and, whilst not making a direct copy, make his Top Gear as much like the previous one as is possible.

I didnt watch it as i said IMO boys talking about their silly irrelevant toys shallow macho bullshit. But u enjoy.

rijit

Edited by rijit

Did I direct that remark directly at you? No.

If in your opinion "boys talking about their silly irrelevant toys (is) shallow macho bullshit" I have to wonder why you felt the need to comment in this topic at all!

Still, your right to do so and my right to wonder.