Moving to Bangkok: Downtown vs Nichada

BecksNYC

Eppic - I also went to biz school in the city, but downtown (I think we both know where we went). I love Manhattan and this will be my third time leaving to live abroad...hopefully to return again one day.

In any case, I've never been too concerned living with the inconveniences of developing countries, but with small children, I suddenly feel very 'American' with the questions I see myself asking.

I will definitely be getting involved with the women's expat clubs to get more specifics on the do's and don't's with the little ones. I really appreciate all of your help!

You sure sound very american but that's allright, you can't help it that you never lived in the 3rd world.

Thailand might look developed but that's all smoke and mirrors.

With young children like yours i wouldn't come here at all, even the flight with crying kids would be a disaster for me.

You sure need personell here and best live right next to a good mall (like in nichada). For going out you'll need a driver and company car like all other expats have.

What an absolute load of rubbish.

I have 2 kids, 3 years old and 2 years old, both are happy and have no problems here. I have no need for personnel or a driver/company car. I can drive myself around, as I'm sure the vast majority of expats actually do.

Bangkok is nowhere near as bad as you and others try to make out, it certainly isn't completely 3rd world (try living in Bangalore, where your comment might be more accurate). I'd say BKK is verging on 1st world in what's available, it's the delivery that is lacking.

For the OP, I'd try in the city first, around the CBD or shopping districts as many others have recommended, I don't live at Nichada, but I do commute in everyday a similar distance (no choice for me, my wife thinks condos are prisons and wants a nice big house) and quite often don't get to see the kids awake in the evening due to the extended commuting times. Better for the family if you're reasonably close to the office.

Edited by moonoi

Thank you all for the new perspectives! This is the first time I've heard the pollution described in a more positive light, which definitely gives me some comfort.

I really do enjoy city living and don't have an overwhelming need for a house. The short commute for my husband is definitely important to me. The only other thing about Nicgada that is appealing to me is the potential ease of meeting people right away. I know it will happen in time anywhere, but we are just so active with play dates here that I will hate to put a pause in that for my toddler. I'm am definitely leaning again towards central bkk though!

Eppic - I also went to biz school in the city, but downtown (I think we both know where we went). I love Manhattan and this will be my third time leaving to live abroad...hopefully to return again one day.

In any case, I've never been too concerned living with the inconveniences of developing countries, but with small children, I suddenly feel very 'American' with the questions I see myself asking.

I will definitely be getting involved with the women's expat clubs to get more specifics on the do's and don't's with the little ones. I really appreciate all of your help!

You sure sound very american but that's allright, you can't help it that you never lived in the 3rd world.

With young children like yours i wouldn't come here at all, even the flight with crying kids would be a disaster for me.

You sure need personell here and best live right next to a good mall (like in nichada). For going out you'll need a driver and company car like all other expats have.

I have 2 kids, 3 years old and 2 years old, both are happy and have no problems here. I have no need for personnel or a driver/company car. I can drive myself around, as I'm sure the vast majority of expats actually do.

Bangkok is nowhere near as bad as you and others try to make out, it certainly isn't completely 3rd world (try living in Bangalore, where your comment might be more accurate). I'd say BKK is verging on 1st world in what's available, it's the delivery that is lacking.

For the OP, I'd try in the city first, around the CBD or shopping districts as many others have recommended, I don't live at Nichada, but I do commute in everyday a similar distance (no choice for me, my wife thinks condos are prisons and wants a nice big house) and quite often don't get to see the kids awake in the evening due to the extended commuting times. Better for the family if you're reasonably close to the office.

If you are from Bangalore then i understand that you like Bangkok more, if you're from Europe then i don't.

Bangkok ain't that bad but with young kids it is. I didn't try to scare her, of course any girl from NYC can drive a car with 2 young kids in BKK, why not? Does she know how to drive on the left side?

About scaring, Nichada might have snakes, scorpions, huge spiders, millipedes, hornets and the rest. Must be big fun for the kids to explore all of them.

I agree that if you live in Nichada while hubby works downtown you won't see him often. But downtown the kids can't be kids and play outside or you'll have to find the perfect spot which sure is somewhere.

But driving a car to the supermarket with 2 kids is a hard job. If i were your hubby you would get a driver anyway or i would stay in NYC. Also you would get a maid before you get stressed too much. Company pays so why not?

There are also some very good (hi-so) daycare for kids.

Best of both worlds would be a house in a community and downtown. They exist but come with a price. Roomservice, pool, clubhouse, cleaning service, driver everything is availlable.

For shopping i would go to Central World since that's the only large decent mall. But without a car you can't bring much home and traffic is very slow in the whole area.

In the subs there's where all the Thai live who have kids. I live among them and see the minibuses picking up kids every day. But even in the community's the kids can't play outside or walk around because thai drive like idiots. Also there are always straydogs around, no matter where you live.

My advice would be to live in a hotel/serviced appartment for a few months while checking out bangkok. Then decide what suits best.

If you are from Bangalore then i understand that you like Bangkok more, if you're from Europe then i don't.

Bangkok ain't that bad but with young kids it is. I didn't try to scare her, of course any girl from NYC can drive a car with 2 young kids in BKK, why not? Does she know how to drive on the left side?

About scaring, Nichada might have snakes, scorpions, huge spiders, millipedes, hornets and the rest. Must be big fun for the kids to explore all of them.

I agree that if you live in Nichada while hubby works downtown you won't see him often. But downtown the kids can't be kids and play outside or you'll have to find the perfect spot which sure is somewhere.

But driving a car to the supermarket with 2 kids is a hard job. If i were your hubby you would get a driver anyway or i would stay in NYC. Also you would get a maid before you get stressed too much. Company pays so why not?

There are also some very good (hi-so) daycare for kids.

Best of both worlds would be a house in a community and downtown. They exist but come with a price. Roomservice, pool, clubhouse, cleaning service, driver everything is availlable.

For shopping i would go to Central World since that's the only large decent mall. But without a car you can't bring much home and traffic is very slow in the whole area.

In the subs there's where all the Thai live who have kids. I live among them and see the minibuses picking up kids every day. But even in the community's the kids can't play outside or walk around because thai drive like idiots. Also there are always straydogs around, no matter where you live.

My advice would be to live in a hotel/serviced appartment for a few months while checking out bangkok. Then decide what suits best.

I'm from Europe, however I do have business to do in Bangalore, which is why I can make the comparison.

I live in a mostly Thai village, have none of the problems you state, kids can play outside, there is nice park and playground with a community swimming pool. Kids can play outside without fear of being run over, and there aren't any stray dogs inside the village. Don't need a maid, or a driver, left side/right side of the road doesn't really make much difference and takes only a short time to get used too. I really don't see the same issues and side of Thailand that you do.

Hi becks,

I am a brit (with french wife) and 2 kids 3yrs and 11 mths, living near prom Pong.

1/ recommend advice to initially take a serviced apartment as this gives you flexibility (then to rent you only need a few days few weeks notice)

2/ The areas such as sathorn or mid-sukhumvit (in particular) is very expat and with many local schools

3/ From 2 years old kids almost all seem to be in nursery part-time, nurseries are as common as ATMs in this area (i.e 1 almost every 50m !!) and from 1 year many take kids to playgroup (or after &st go let the nanny take the kid)

4/ transport everywhere can be hard/slow so recommend base yourselves near husband work route and in an area with OK nurseries and lower-schools.

5/ We rent a car often but otherwise take taxis - probably less security concerned than you as taxis have no baby seats but do have seatbelts if you are lucky ;-)...2 kids plus small pushchair taking a taxi is quite feasible for most trips

6/ If you want expat feeling/friends and a secure environment there are many small compound green-oasis in BKK (such as the natural place sukhumvit soi 49 and natural ville sukhumvit 31)in addition to high-rise condos (too numerous to mention - see hipflat website for ideas on prices) and the kiddie schools and supermarkets (villa, fuji, tops) are all in walking distance.

main difference (IMHO) to nitcada would not be pollution levels which I find reasonable compared to London and Paris, but about temperature which is probably higher in downtown due to the amount of Constitution.

you can PM me if you wish.

tom

Edited by tomparis