Why is Zoe in Yellow closed ?

baywatch82

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMKiwi, on 10 Aug 2015 - 10:54, said:

"Apparently there was a bit of a commotion at Zoe in Yellow a few weeks ago. A drunken foreigner was getting agitated and a fight ensued. The security staff tried to quell the disturbance as they know the military will use any excuse to close the place/area down.

Long story short, the foreigner has since died. Zoe has been told to close for an undisclosed length of time. They may be allowed to reopen but must do so under a new name. Im not sure of the logic or principles behind all this but the area is very very quiet at the moment.

Things move in mysterious ways

Maybe a whole new `entertainment` area will open up out of town somewhere, where the business can continue unhindered by changing rules and the temperance brigade. Then watch the CBD implode...."

(Copied from page 2 of the "Looks like the (Late Night) Life has been sucked out of CM" thread.)

Edited by TheAppletons

where is city life if you need some reporting ?

Even before the coup the libel laws made a mockery of freedom of the press, and things are much worse now. If there is any reporting on bar closings it will be so sanitized as to include no new information. After all, the press can't report that the police are arbitrarily closing some bars without legal justification, can they?

So the bouncers beat a customer to death? Lovely.

About a month ago the grand daughter of a classmate made a visit to Chiang Mai. I spent many hours on Google looking for good accommodation for her.

In my Google search I came across two blogs talking about severe beatings at this famous Chiang Mai joint. The injuries required hospitalization and there were strong pleas to potential tourists to stay away for their own safety.

Let's see -- serving alcohol after hours, maybe to minors and the bouncers beating a customer to death. Wouldn't that be some "legal justification"?

Good point.

If those activities come under the rubric of "nightlife", then Chiang Mai is better off without it.

I've only been there once and that was early. But Tripadvisor contains some hair-raising allegations:

x.gifReviewed 27 July 2015

Me and 2 friends were at Zoeys 2 weeks ago. I assumed that the bar over the road was connected to the main bar, however I was wrong. The main bouncer clicked his fingers and within seconds I got dragged down an alley by 5-6 bouncers and beaten repeatedly, getting knocked unconscious 4-5 times. I had bottles of Chang smashed over my head and even a gun pointed at my head.

“Disgraceful bouncers, don't ever visit ”
x.gifReviewed 4 July 2015

My friend and I went here to drink a few beers for our first night in Chiang Mai. The night was going well and the place seemed good until one bald headed bouncer decided to slam my friends head into a table because he believed he had got his drink somewhere else. He never even allowed my friend to explain that he had purchased a beer from inside the bar. I've never seen such a disgraceful act by the bouncers in a nightclub before in my life. Don't visit this bar, it's run by complete scumbags who is thinks they're above the law and it is the worst nightclub/bar I've ever been to in my life. The bouncer was clearly one of those guys who is way to worried about the size of his own dick instead of doing his own job. There is so many other places in Chiang Mai to see instead!

Visited July 2015
“Dangerous Place”

We went for a birthday paty and we were really choked by what we see.

Most of the staff are there just to fight, and when they don't have anything to do they just assault a random costumer.
We witness 3 really bad beat up by the so called staff.
They drag the costumer in a small alley and kick him when he was allready insonscious for 20 minutes.
The manager was smilling and lafing during this.

I have only seen drunk ugly farang there, no bouncers. And when the drunk ugly farang was me, they still took their time to explain me corteously the reasons why i had to pay for my drink. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that i am 6 ft 6 and weigh slightly more than 300 lbs but i can only say the best about the staff and the bouncers which I have never seen.

Let's see -- serving alcohol after hours, maybe to minors and the bouncers beating a customer to death. Wouldn't that be some "legal justification"?

Yes it would, if it happened. Do we have any reason other than rumors posted here that there was a death?

I've only been there once and that was early. But Tripadvisor contains some hair-raising allegations:

Me and 2 friends were at Zoeys 2 weeks ago. I assumed that the bar over the road was connected to the main bar, however I was wrong. The main bouncer clicked his fingers and within seconds I got dragged down an alley by 5-6 bouncers and beaten repeatedly, getting knocked unconscious 4-5 times. I had bottles of Chang smashed over my head and even a gun pointed at my head.

My friend and I went here to drink a few beers for our first night in Chiang Mai. The night was going well and the place seemed good until one bald headed bouncer decided to slam my friends head into a table because he believed he had got his drink somewhere else. He never even allowed my friend to explain that he had purchased a beer from inside the bar. I've never seen such a disgraceful act by the bouncers in a nightclub before in my life. Don't visit this bar, it's run by complete scumbags who is thinks they're above the law and it is the worst nightclub/bar I've ever been to in my life. The bouncer was clearly one of those guys who is way to worried about the size of his own dick instead of doing his own job. There is so many other places in Chiang Mai to see instead!

Visited July 2015
“Dangerous Place”

Most of the staff are there just to fight, and when they don't have anything to do they just assault a random costumer.

They drag the costumer in a small alley and kick him when he was allready insonscious for 20 minutes.

There are many bars in the Zoe area. I wonder which ones these reported incidents occurred in.

Yes it would, if it happened. Do we have any reason other than rumors posted here that there was a death?

Does anyone believe it didn't happen?

And now reports of a death of a tourist! Why isn't this being reported in mainstream news? Starting to sound like kao toh up here.

... or not quite true. It's amazing what people can say without any reliance upon facts.

So true what you are saying, FG. Just look at what people say on the Immigration threads with absolutely no facts. This thread, however, causes more of concern when people state their opinions as if they were fact based.

Visited July 2015
“Dangerous Place”

There are many bars in the Zoe area. I wonder which ones these reported incidents occurred in.

The topic is Zoe in Yellow.

The tripadvisor reviews are for Zoe in Yellow.

Maybe you can sense that there is a link there.

Visited July 2015
“Dangerous Place”

Perhaps tourists become confused when the entire complex of bars is referred to as Zoe Yellow... Which is how many perceive the place...

Does anyone believe it didn't happen?

Foreigner deaths usually get reported in one or more newspapers. I saw nothing in the "Chiang Mai News and Events" part of this forum about an incident at Zoe in the last month and a half.

The only "evidence" I've seen is from post #2:

"Apparently there was a bit of a commotion at Zoe in Yellow a few weeks ago. A drunken foreigner was getting agitated and a fight ensued. The security staff tried to quell the disturbance as they know the military will use any excuse to close the place/area down."

"Long story short, the foreigner has since died."
This post is vague about the time and cause of death, and, as indicated, I've found no other evidence there was a death. So, in absence of additional evidence, yes, I have my doubts that someone was killed or fatally injured in the Zoe area.
Edited by heybruce

OK, any hard facts now or just information from Thai female friends of a friend? Thai female friends of a friend recently also passed on the information of ghosts in a building in my neighborhood. I hear "Thai" and "female" and automatically the readings on my handy BS-detector are in the red.

It is hard for me to imagine some farang got beaten to death at Zoe´s and his friends don't run havoc on social media.

“Dangerous and violent.”

Visited July 2015

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d3915397-r286518833-Zoe_in_Yellow-Chiang_Mai.html#

“Dangerous Place”

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293917-d3915397-r286518833-Zoe_in_Yellow-Chiang_Mai.html#

Perhaps tourists become confused when the entire complex of bars is referred to as Zoe Yellow... Which is how many perceive the place...

curiously, is it just Zoe in Yellow that is closed or the whole complex?

I haven't been there for a while.

Edited by dickyknee

I bought a couple of Beer Leo's at the shop that is in the same area as Zoe. I tried walking in to the seating area, and was informed by - what I will call a worker, not a bouncer- that I was not allowed to bring the beers into their seating area... I understood their policy, and drank the beers nearby. They guy who told me I couldn't bring the beer in was EXTREMELY nice to me, and apologized a few times for the rule. I didn't feel it was necessary for him to apologize, but I appreciated that he was cool about it.

That's my story. Not saying the other reports aren't true, but that was my experience, this was about 3 months ago.

And now reports of a death of a tourist! Why isn't this being reported in mainstream news? Starting to sound like kao toh up here.

... or not quite true. It's amazing what people can say without any reliance upon facts.

Thai's rely on gossip for a lot of what goes on. The whispers from a trusted source about what really happens, as the reporting here is often shoddy, it's how they survive. Keep waiting for those stone cold facts, though. Because, we can all be sure the press, and the police will do their best to get to the bottom of things.

I bought a couple of Beer Leo's at the shop that is in the same area as Zoe. I tried walking in to the seating area, and was informed by - what I will call a worker, not a bouncer- that I was not allowed to bring the beers into their seating area... I understood their policy, and drank the beers nearby. They guy who told me I couldn't bring the beer in was EXTREMELY nice to me, and apologized a few times for the rule. I didn't feel it was necessary for him to apologize, but I appreciated that he was cool about it.

That's my story. Not saying the other reports aren't true, but that was my experience, this was about 3 months ago.

How strange and unreasonable of a pub/ bar to request a customer not to bring his own beer into their establishment. Wonder why?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently it happens quite often at UN Irish where the backpacker crew seem to think its OK to buy their beer at 7.11 then carry it into UN Irish and use their seats and even their glasses to drink it !!!

Visited July 2015
“Dangerous Place”

Yes, how can you tell which is which?

rolleyes.gif

Zoe.jpg

I took my wife there about six times...no problem, and I overdid the beer with no problems. We are friendly and they tolerate me pretty good. Of course ..we spend a lot. Met some nice people there. Bouncers were not overly aggressive, and we stayed 3 hours each time. I do joke a bit with them...and if I were alone, or misbehaved, I have the feeling I would bein trouble.

Big complex with no real definitive areas. I did smuggle half a beer into the main bar..but bought 12 more there