Fishing Chiang Mai area

roamer

Search not doing me any favours. Looking for fishing places in or around Chiang Mai ? Nothing too serious just for daughter and friend who would be happy to hook a couple of fish, maybe overnight bungalow, that sort of thing. Any suggestions ? Not drivers so preferably not too far out of the way. Thanks.

You can check this out...

http://fishingchiangmai.com/chiang-mai-fishing-lakes/

...and there's a lake not far from the ring road where the cost is 50 baht for 1 per person, where you can fish for big catfish (up to 40 kilos) or other areas for smaller fish (1kg to 5kg). If you don't have equipment you can rent it from them and bait too. There's also a small restaurant but I'm not sure about accommodation. It's on the road from Chiang Mai to Saraphi (the one with the big trees wrapped in yellow fabric).

I've bamboo rafted the Mae Taeng from a Karien village a little below Wiang Haeng to Ban Sohp Guy. It looks very much like some rivers in the Hudson Highlands where I fished as a kid growing up there.

The - mostly hilltribe - people along the Mae Taeng catch fairly good sized fish in nets. It seems to be relatively undiscovered as yet by sport fishermen

A flyrod improvised from bamboo, some floating line, if you can find it, and an assortment of flys would be all you'd need to give it a try. Avoid the whitewater and fish the pools. There are some good bungalows in Ban Sohp Guy.

Good Luck.

You can check this out...

http://fishingchiangmai.com/chiang-mai-fishing-lakes/

...and there's a lake not far from the ring road where the cost is 50 baht for 1 per person, where you can fish for big catfish (up to 40 kilos) or other areas for smaller fish (1kg to 5kg). If you don't have equipment you can rent it from them and bait too. There's also a small restaurant but I'm not sure about accommodation. It's on the road from Chiang Mai to Saraphi (the one with the big trees wrapped in yellow fabric).

Yes, according to the map, I was at Chiang Mai Fishing Park....fish were very tasty.

I've bamboo rafted the Mae Taeng from a Karien village a little below Wiang Haeng to Ban Sohp Guy. It looks very much like some rivers in the Hudson Highlands where I fished as a kid growing up there.

The - mostly hilltribe - people along the Mae Taeng catch fairly good sized fish in nets. It seems to be relatively undiscovered as yet by sport fishermen

A flyrod improvised from bamboo, some floating line, if you can find it, and an assortment of flys would be all you'd need to give it a try. Avoid the whitewater and fish the pools. There are some good bungalows in Ban Sohp Guy.

Good Luck.

This sounds like an excellent excuse to get the 4 weight out. I cant find reference to Ban Sohp Guy so care to share the name of the bungalows and is it on the river and how far from Wiang Haeng?

Thanks

Probably the place is Sop Gai or Sop Kai as I see it usually written.

As the name already indicates it is where the small stream Mae Kai joins the Mae Taeng river.

You reach it from Chiang Mai by taking the 107 to Mae Taeng and go left onto the 3162 road that follows the river. You pass the elephant camp, rafting etc. in Muang Khuet (again spelling?) where there is a bridge over the Mae Taeng.

Continue on the road to the next bridge, this is Sop Kai.

There is a small resort there, from Muang Khuet the road is not sealed, not sure how the condition is in the rainy season.

GPS 19.234807, 98.783777

Joop

Probably the place is Sop Gai or Sop Kai as I see it usually written.

As the name already indicates it is where the small stream Mae Kai joins the Mae Taeng river.

You reach it from Chiang Mai by taking the 107 to Mae Taeng and go left onto the 3162 road that follows the river. You pass the elephant camp, rafting etc. in Muang Khuet (again spelling?) where there is a bridge over the Mae Taeng.

Continue on the road to the next bridge, this is Sop Kai.

There is a small resort there, from Muang Khuet the road is not sealed, not sure how the condition is in the rainy season.

GPS 19.234807, 98.783777

Joop

That says it all as far as directions are concerned.

And yes, there are variations in the spelling; Ban Soph Guy looks right to me phonetically, so I use it.

Wiang Haeng, also on the Mae Taeng, can be reached by the road that turns west off 107 just north of Chiang Dao.

It's a beautiful area and largely unspoiled.