One Stop Food Shop?

khall64au

With so much encouragement for foreigners to retire on Phuket with all their zillions of dollar currency investments... why has no-one jumped on the bandwagon to open appropriate chain delis, supermarkets, fresh food restaurants?

Considering that most "retirees" have a preferred western diet, there is certainly a lack of decent direct-to-consumer food outlets on Phuket. Not to mention so many other services.....

Am I missing something here or is it a lack of fore-sight by so-called "entrepreneurs"?

With so much encouragement for foreigners to retire on Phuket with all their zillions of dollar currency investments... why has no-one jumped on the bandwagon to open appropriate chain delis, supermarkets, fresh food restaurants?

Considering that most "retirees" have a preferred western diet, there is certainly a lack of decent direct-to-consumer food outlets on Phuket. Not to mention so many other services.....

Am I missing something here or is it a lack of fore-sight by so-called "entrepreneurs"?

Don't know if it is a lack of foresight, perhaps shellshock. Sars, Bird Flu, Tsunami, bombs and coups.

I give you an example. A resort here, less than 24 hours after the coup, sends %50 of their staff home, stops all payments to vendors! Not bothering to wait a few days to see wazzup! Staff morale, pay are affected and of course the other %50 are overworked, tired and now very underpaid.

I know many expats who would open businesses here, but relying only on expats to keep them afloat is a dangerous proposition.

Personally, I wish Subway would get off their hinny and open a branch in Phuket Town and not simply rely on tourists in Patong.

Another issue are xxx size clothes for men. We have fat French, UK, Americans and other Euros and now I see a trend over the past 5 years of heavy Thais. If I had the finances, I would open both!

Good point, however and I agree with you. :o

Don't know if it is a lack of foresight, perhaps shellshock. Sars, Bird Flu, Tsunami, bombs and coups.

I give you an example. A resort here, less than 24 hours after the coup, sends %50 of their staff home, stops all payments to vendors! Not bothering to wait a few days to see wazzup! Staff morale, pay are affected and of course the other %50 are overworked, tired and now very underpaid.

I know many expats who would open businesses here, but relying only on expats to keep them afloat is a dangerous proposition.

Personally, I wish Subway would get off their hinny and open a branch in Phuket Town and not simply rely on tourists in Patong.

Another issue are xxx size clothes for men. We have fat French, UK, Americans and other Euros and now I see a trend over the past 5 years of heavy Thais. If I had the finances, I would open both!

Good point, however and I agree with you. :D

I had thought about a opening a larger sizes clothing shop a few times. I have trouble finding clothes that fit and Im not fat or tall, just an average 6ft bloke, even some Thais are bigger all round (yes theres a joke there :o ) than myself.

I went and sourced a few suppliers in Bangkok, and basically I lost interest because of other work.

I think it would be a great business and with over 30,000 foreign companies registered in Phuket, you would be ok in all seasons.

I have to fly to Bangkok and go to the Emporium to find clothes that fit and are quality.

If someone does go ahead and open one, dont go cheap quality, there is plenty of that crap on the beach road.

Remember - a xl in Thailand is usually a M or L in "farang land"

BTW - Armani and a few others in Central have got a few that fit.

If anyone opens one, lets us all know.

I had thought about a opening a larger sizes clothing shop a few times. I have trouble finding clothes that fit and Im not fat or tall, just an average 6ft bloke, even some Thais are bigger all round (yes theres a joke there :o ) than myself.

I went and sourced a few suppliers in Bangkok, and basically I lost interest because of other work.

I think it would be a great business and with over 30,000 foreign companies registered in Phuket, you would be ok in all seasons.

I have to fly to Bangkok and go to the Emporium to find clothes that fit and are quality.

If someone does go ahead and open one, dont go cheap quality, there is plenty of that crap on the beach road.

cmon torny you aint that big

cmon torny you aint that big

:D:D

We used to buy from Phuket Meat Importer. Found ad in Phuket Gazette newspaper.

They have home delivery, COD. Gourmet Service or something, they call it.

A little expensive compares to Market Place or supermarket, but they have wide selections of food.

I'd recommend australian tenderloin. They said they supplied foods to places like Phuket Cabana and Zanotti in Bangkok.

The Deli Supermarket in Patong Beach is about the best we can do , in Patong Beach....Villa Supermarket and Food Glorious Food in BKK are much neater......there use to be a English butcher but he's been gone awhile....very good cold cuts and cheese section ...great garlic&dill pickles from Flower Foods who also do microwaveable dinners and soups that have a lot of deli-diner style of cooking.....all in all its a bit expensive but that has alot to due with taxes on imported items :o .