buying kindle from Amazon

CaptHaddock

I just bought a kindle Voyage from Amazon at a significant savings over the price at B2S. I had Amazon ship it to my mail forwarder (free, received in 3 days) who then shipped it to me in Thailand at USPS International First Class Rates, which took 13 days. I had to pick it up from the post office here and pay a VAT tax.

kindle Voyage $199

mail forwarding $27

VAT $17

total $243

I remember the B2S price as about ฿12,000 or $335. Apparently, electronics is not subject to the same 40% tariff that applies to imported clothing.

Unfortunately I lost mine in the airport last week, but it was an oldie so I've replaced it with a new paperwhite.

Nice to know I just deregister the lost one (which I've done) and I'll get all my books back on the new one.

And it seems even airline staff are getting used to Kindles now, on my last two flights they were telling people to turn off their phones but just left me alone.

Kindles are great but I find that using the Kindle app on my Sony Experia Ultra is more convenient because the six-inch phone is easily carried in my cargo pocket. I have a Kindle HD 6 but it is bulkier than the Sony. I really like the color when reading magazines with pictures. Also, the NYT embedded color videos are nice. The HD 6 costs $100 here in Tokyo.

How do you like the Kindle Voyage? Better than the Paperwhite? Is the built in light sufficient?

Amazon will not ship the Voyage to Thailand but they will ship a Paperwhite.

I like the Voyage a lot better than my old paperwhite, which was lower resolution. However, the new paperwhites have the same 300dpi resolution as the Voyage. I feel it's worth trading up for me, because I read a lot and the experience matters to me. The Voyage has higher contrast in addition to higher definition and the light is brighter. However, I never thought the light on the paperwhite was a problem at all. The Voyage page looks a lot whiter than the paperwhite page side by side.

It's puzzling that Amazon won't ship the Voyage to Thailand. They can't still be having limited production. Fortunately, using a US mail forwarder gets around the problem.

I have purchased two Kindles from Amazon, took only about 5 days, maybe 4 to get it delivered to me in Ban Kruat. Quite amazing service. You can track the parcel the whole way, Amazon sent with FedEx.

Amazon chraged an estimated import duty, and apparently was imported for less. Amazon credited my Mastercard with the difference, I would never have known. The Kindle was delivered to my door by EMS, who must be the agent for FedEx here. No extra charges. The Paperwhite cost me in total around USD150.

I am thoroughly happy with Amazon service.

For anyones general advice, you can download so many E Books from the internet, I don't know why anyone would pay for a book any more, unless you wanted something specific. I have about 90,000 EBooks on a hard drive. You can also download EBooks in a file that Kindle cannot read, but there is free software which can transpose to a mobi format, sometimes with a few errors, but you can read around this pretty easily.

I had the same superb service from Amazon in 2013 after I left my original Kindle at my home in the UK when we were on a trip back there.

Kindle Paperwhite, 5 day delivery fully traceable plus an import duty xs refund,

Unfortunately I lost mine in the airport last week, but it was an oldie so I've replaced it with a new paperwhite.

Nice to know I just deregister the lost one (which I've done) and I'll get all my books back on the new one.

And it seems even airline staff are getting used to Kindles now, on my last two flights they were telling people to turn off their phones but just left me alone.

I think they are wasting their breaths these days asking people to turn off their mobile phones. whether it be on aeroplanes, in cinemas or churches. Self Centered people seeming are oblivious to other people and all such requests.

Edited by dotpoom

Does anyone know, will Amazon accept registration from a Thai using a Thai credit card? I plan to give my old paperwhite to my Thai teacher who would have to use a Thai credit card and a shipping address in Thailand.

Edited by CaptHaddock

I think they are wasting their breaths these days asking people to turn off their mobile phones. whether it be on aeroplanes, in cinemas or churches. Self Centered people seeming are oblivious to other people and all such requests.

That's true and it's bad manners in places like concerts not to turn off the cell phones. However, I don't believe there is any safety reason not to permit the use of electronics on airplanes. I have never heard of an accident attributed to passenger use of electronics.

Does anyone know, will Amazon accept registration from a Thai using a Thai credit card? I plan to give my old paperwhite to my Thai teacher who would have to use a Thai credit card and a shipping address in Thailand.

I have used a Bangkok Bank credit card to make many purchases from Amazon, including two Kindle e-readers. Never a problem. And yes, I agree with the above posts, Amazon quietly refunds any excess precharged customs duty.

I'm a huge Kindle fan, had one since the version 1. My current Paperwhite is awesome, I love the size and the fact that the screen is good even in bright sunlight is a huge plus for me. I've been much happier buying from Amazon in recent years with the pre payment of estimated tax. maybe Amazon has a tad more sway over customs than me, but I routinely get refunds of the deposit nowadays rather than the outrageous 'pay this extortionate import duty, before we release the goods' situation of old

On the tangential topic of electronics on aircraft, this explains it all...

A few years ago I bought a Kindle from Amazon. Even with the shipping and prepaid customs charges it was pretty cheap (can't recall the exact amount) & delivered to my door hassle free ... and I got a small rebate because the duty charged was less than they had estimated.

Edited by Suradit69

I like the Kindle also but I am trying the Kobo which, for me has some advantages. Very cheap and I prefer the font and leading and justification. I also like to have my books available on my phone. Whichever the whole eBooks thing seems a great use of technology. I do find with big technical books the ability to flick back and forth manually is still nicer. I am looking more and more at the Kindle fire as a tablet replacement but the phablets are making me indecisive. One interesting point is that having been a big reader for years I moved away from books but the eBook has revived my interest and I now am a regular visitor to Asia books and a couple of the excellent and well known used book places in CM.

That's true and it's bad manners in places like concerts not to turn off the cell phones. However, I don't believe there is any safety reason not to permit the use of electronics on airplanes. I have never heard of an accident attributed to passenger use of electronics.

They don't want videos of the plane crashing.

It's all about control.

Not to mention, they want you to read the in flight magazine, as you have nothing else to do. ADVERTISING!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Can buy pyrus 2 reader on lazada.co.th for 2.5k baht, plug in to a computer running calibre, convert any books to .txt and increase font size,

you gotta live a long time to read all those books. AA

Look on Ebay. Got two Paperwhite 2 gen e-books at really good prices, one from

japan, one from Australia. Never thought I would give up paper books, but the number I had to give away to charity shops,and the clutter I had in Thailand convinced me. It's like carting round 2000 LP's with you, or storing on ipod/iphone. Brilliant.