Dress Codes In The City?

JoneL

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the temple thing, I wear shorts and a polo or button up. Many shorts now are knee length, stylish and inoffensive imo. T-shirts, on the other hand, do appear to be a bit low rent.

Shorts are simply a NO in the city :D

Are they only a no for farang or also for thai? Reason I ask is because I see plenty of thais wearing shorts in Lotus, Carrefour etc.. maybe they're lower class so they don't bother I don't know really :o

Wear what you want .... I don't wear shorts in BKK .... UNLESS I am going some place they would be appropriate ... Rama9 Park .... JJ Market .... the pool.

Here in Phuket .. or in HH or Pattaya shorts are fine.

Here I keep a pair of pants and a Polo brand golf shirt in my motorcycle ... on the odd chance I go somewhere shorts are NOT acceptable :o

Wear what you want .... I don't wear shorts in BKK .... UNLESS I am going some place they would be appropriate ... Rama9 Park .... JJ Market .... the pool.

I find shorts very convenient in some of Cowboy's patting bars :o

Shorts are acceptable in BKK, seen many a thai wear them. If situation needs trousers then wear trousers if not than bugger it and keep cool. :D If one offends least you aren't hot. :D

Lol :D

So many oppinnions... :o

But most seems to say no no to shorts and tank-tops...

Other than the temple thing, I wear shorts and a polo or button up. Many shorts now are knee length, stylish and inoffensive imo. T-shirts, on the other hand, do appear to be a bit low rent.

Shorts are simply a NO in the city :D

And never were brown...in town... :D

This isn't the 1950's... :o

Yeah, but actually wearing cotton long sleeves and long trousers will keep you cooler than exposing the skin to the heat.

You suffer less from heat.

I think this is pretty true. I wear long sleeves or 3/4 but thin cotton. It is cooler than expositing the skin.

Thank you Rumourz... I thought so too... :o

Doubters.... begone! :D

I agree that you can wear whatever you like in BKK aside from temples or formal situations. Thais are outwardly very tolerant.

Maybe it depends on how long you are staying and who you might be talking to. If you're only going to be talking with bar girls and shop clerks, then shorts are fine. Remember however that you will look like a tourist and be judged as one.

I think if you're living here longer term, you reserve the shorts for active recreation only. You just feel like a a bit of a knob walking around in them. You won't find too many Thais wear shorts in malls, on the BTS, etc.

Thais are outwardly very tolerant but superficial and put alot of weight on personal appearance.

They will think you are a bozo walking around their city in shorts and arm pits hanging out. They don't appreciate it.

In general, I've noticed a higher ratio of dissrespectfull attitude from the "no sleeves" crowd.

david tayler answered the question best.

For those of us not born near the Equator it is a bit much to ask us to wear trousers when it is 40 celcius. I think it is best to be cool and not sweat and offened. I will agree with most all that wife-beater t's are not proper attire, except when at home in front of the tube.

Seems to be a bit of confusion with the OP as 2 questions are indeed asked ...

Hi...

is it ok for men to wear shorts + tank top (sleevless t-shirts) when walking in the city/going to the shops?

Yes shorts and tank top/T shirt are fine here.

How about when entering tempels + palaces?

No ! Shorts and tank top are a no no here... longer pants and shirts that cover your shoulders are recommended here.

this post.

I am really suprised at the amount of attention this post has grabbed. I am confused at the amount of people who say no to to shorts and tank tops in the city. My Thai boyf comes home from work, can't wait to get out of his shirt/tie/trousers and he is straight into his knee length army style shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt (not a wife beater - but sleeveless all the same). As a female I never wear anything less than something that covers my shoulders, but as a male, wearing neat and clean shorts and a sleeveless shorts if fine - IMO

I am really suprised at the amount of attention this post has grabbed. I am confused at the amount of people who say no to to shorts and tank tops in the city. My Thai boyf comes home from work, can't wait to get out of his shirt/tie/trousers and he is straight into his knee length army style shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt (not a wife beater - but sleeveless all the same). As a female I never wear anything less than something that covers my shoulders, but as a male, wearing neat and clean shorts and a sleeveless shorts if fine - IMO

At home ... you can wear absolutely anything ---- or even nothing :o

:D

The anti-shorts thing is left over from the 1950s. Even "good" Thai girls wear revealing clothing now and men have always been able to get away with much more.

We are farangs and can pretty much wear what we want. Long pants, or short, we are still ill-mannered, smelly heathens to our lovely hosts! :D

I can actually see why some Thai's dont like farangs wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts. Ever sat next to a farang sweating his ass off with nothing to cover his arm pits

My personal dislike is people who wear shirts without a undershirt, which makes their shirt cling to their sweaty body. Usually fat German toourist types with a big beer belly anyway so that they look like a grease covered bratwurst wrapped in a T shirt. You can observe this behavior on the BTS. (This objection is hereby officially suspended for any good looking woman with her blouse clinging to her shapely body.)

Anyhow what I always wear is a short sleeve shirt and long pants. I make sure I use underarm deoderant, thank you. I always wear a undershirt, cotton usually, because it absorbs the sweat.

I once saw a woman riding on the BTS who had obviously been out in the sun too long. Her sunburn was peeling off. She wore a backless top, and the skin was hanging off her back. Tourist, and her companion looked like a fat German type. Really ugly. Please DON'T DO THAT.

P.S. I'm not prejudiced against Germans, but they do drink a lot of beer, and can smell a lot when they sweat. Again, noticed on the BTS.

:o

In Bangkok none of my Thai friends would ever go out on the town or shopping in anything less than jeans. No shorts or sandals. If you were to go to a church back in your country would you wear shorts and a t-shirt or tank top. Probably not, so I would think you should not here either. When I am walking around the city I am usually in jeans and a nice t-shirt. Shoes usually, but sandals are fine unless you are going to a nice place. Though If I go out for an evening of carousing, it is a nice collared shirt, at least jeans, and shoes. Though you can get away a t-shirt.

At least that has been my experience :o

Wear what you like! The Thais won't care, and certainly won't say anything about your appearance. Many of them have, what could be deemed , questionable attire in any case, and I assume that anyone wearing T-shirts, vests, shorts and flip flops is doing so because it is hot.

My personal dislike is people who wear shirts without a undershirt, which makes their shirt cling to their sweaty body. Usually fat German toourist types with a big beer belly anyway so that they look like a grease covered bratwurst wrapped in a T shirt. You can observe this behavior on the BTS. (This objection is hereby officially suspended for any good looking woman with her blouse clinging to her shapely body.)

Anyhow what I always wear is a short sleeve shirt and long pants. I make sure I use underarm deoderant, thank you. I always wear a undershirt, cotton usually, because it absorbs the sweat.

I once saw a woman riding on the BTS who had obviously been out in the sun too long. Her sunburn was peeling off. She wore a backless top, and the skin was hanging off her back. Tourist, and her companion looked like a fat German type. Really ugly. Please DON'T DO THAT.

P.S. I'm not prejudiced against Germans, but they do drink a lot of beer, and can smell a lot when they sweat. Again, noticed on the BTS.

My personal dislike is people who are unable to distinguish between the indefinite articles 'a' and 'an' as in "a undershirt" (twice), cannot spell tourist (German toourist) or deodorant (deoderant) and are unaware of their prejudice towards natives of Germany.

Actually, I don't particularly dislike people with those deficiencies; I just hope that they are not teachers.

The anti-shorts thing is left over from the 1950s. Even "good" Thai girls wear revealing clothing now and men have always been able to get away with much more.

We are farangs and can pretty much wear what we want. Long pants, or short, we are still ill-mannered, smelly heathens to our lovely hosts! :D

I can actually see why some Thai's dont like farangs wearing short sleeve shirts and shorts. Ever sat next to a farang sweating his ass off with nothing to cover his arm pits

:D:D:D Quote of the day!!!

Now now :D

Some people think that those sweaty Germans looks hot (in sexy way hot). :D

Something for everyone...

That is so racist. German people may occasionally smell, but no more than Americans or English people. And, of course, they can't drink as much as English people. The real problem is the French. Not only do they never change their underwear (it's true! the EU did a survey!) but they never, ever wash either! When the EU did its survey it found that French shops don't even sell soap! You're right about one thing, though. Germans are very ugly. I particularly like the ''German who weighs the same as me, wearing Speedos that would be too small for my cat'' look. To keep in the spirit of your sexist exception to the rule, I should say that a large German lady in rubber is always welcome!

Edited by MarkBKK

Yeah, but actually wearing cotton long sleeves and long trousers will keep you cooler than exposing the skin to the heat.

Bull ****! :o

Exactly!!!! :D

Actually... I work in Iraq and Kuwait. When you cover your skin with a shirt, it gives you a shade barrier and helps keep your skin cool. The sun directly on your skin much hotter. It gets around 45 and occassionaly up to 50 degrees celcius.. or 140 to 150 degrees Farenheit here. I wear long sleeve often during those days

Bull ****! :D

Exactly!!!! :D

Actually... I work in Iraq and Kuwait. When you cover your skin with a shirt, it gives you a shade barrier and helps keep your skin cool. The sun directly on your skin much hotter. It gets around 45 and occassionaly up to 50 degrees celcius.. or 140 to 150 degrees Farenheit here. I wear long sleeve often during those days

Wearing shorts is MUCH cooler than long trousers. Period. :o

If this is a poll then I vote French for smelly and Germans for blocking the pavement.

The Italians dress nice.

French smelly? Yes, I agree. Italians dressing nicely? Some. Germans blocking pavements? You must be mad! The Thais are undisputed world leaders at this (he said, bringing the topic back to Thailand). Thailand is a hub of pavement blocking. Why has Thailand never been invaded? There was a small Thai woman blocking the road, that's why.

I have lived here for a while now and i frequently wear shorts in the city. We aren't in a muslim country so please explain to me why i shouldn't rather than saying shorts are a NO NO.

I wouldnt wear a sleeveless shirt outside in any country though.

Live here a while longer, get to know the people and you might start to understand :o

I have lived here for a while now and i frequently wear shorts in the city. We aren't in a muslim country so please explain to me why i shouldn't rather than saying shorts are a NO NO.

I wouldnt wear a sleeveless shirt outside in any country though.

Live here a while longer, get to know the people and you might start to understand :D

Yes Thai(s) really don't care, we are farang so doesnt make a whole lot of difference. :o