Sidewalk Being Blocked Entirely

JESSVANPELT

barneslyman said,

" The Royal Suite Hotel down to Pattayatai in Soi Buakhao has gone, probably taken when all the bars, shops & eating places were first built.which has nothing at all to do with a Western mind-set."

It appears you have missed my point. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain for foot traffic is, as I called it, Western. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain prime retail space; is another mind-set.

And for years (I've seen it happening for 30), occasionally they are cleaned up and moved on returning, for a while, the public footpaths back to the public. The mind-set you're talking of exists only in the minds of trespassers that encroach onto public land and the corrupt that allow them too. Thai law, made by Thais for Thais, does not support either.

Yes, indeed, I've seen it happening for 48 years. Please note, I said "mind-set," and not "law."

Here in Rayong at Mae Rem Phung beach they have started to clear all businesses and resorts that have claimed right up to the edge of the road as part of their property. They have ripped up all cement encroachment, pulled up shanty houses that have been there for years. This has now extended all the way up from Beach Road to Sukhumvit Road. Even the legal restaurants on the beach side have had to clear the footpath where they had all their fish tanks etc. Finally.

Hi smotherb,

'It appears you have missed my point. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain for foot traffic is, as I called it, Western. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain prime retail space; is another mind-set'.

Please accept my sincere apologies,because I did miss your point,& I also agree that sidewalk/pavements should be used for pedestrians walking,& not for retail selling,or short cuts for motorbike taxis.

Edited by barnsleyman

barneslyman said,

" The Royal Suite Hotel down to Pattayatai in Soi Buakhao has gone, probably taken when all the bars, shops & eating places were first built.which has nothing at all to do with a Western mind-set."

It appears you have missed my point. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain for foot traffic is, as I called it, Western. The mind-set that sidewalks are intended and should remain prime retail space; is another mind-set.

And for years (I've seen it happening for 30), occasionally they are cleaned up and moved on returning, for a while, the public footpaths back to the public. The mind-set you're talking of exists only in the minds of trespassers that encroach onto public land and the corrupt that allow them too. Thai law, made by Thais for Thais, does not support either.

Yes, indeed, I've seen it happening for 48 years. Please note, I said "mind-set," and not "law."

"mind-set"..... I know you did and so did I say that about some of the people. I then said "law" does not support it. Separate sentences, different but related thoughts.

Same in CM. Learn to accept or move away. Those 2 choices cover the reasonable alternatives.

And this is advice from someone who cannot spell his own city name....i think what the OP means, is about SAFETY, not just for himself, but for (eg.) A mother with a couple of kids that are a handful, or old people which has to navigate out into a busy road. Look at the wider picture mate. It may be easy for you, but not so easy for less mobile people.