Overstay

I see on the notice board at Jomtien ( the board that displays the numbers) that overstay 90 days or more will be refused re-entry to the Kingdom for one year, overstay for 1 year or more will be refused re-entry to the Kingdom for 3 years.

Maybe this is old law but I have not seen it before. nothing about being deported . I think maybe the over stayers may want to consider what they are doing. then maybe not.

It was only a suggested law, never confirmed by the interior ministry.

It is on the board and being repeated over and over, very prominently displayed, I don't think it has been there before, maybe someone can correct me, why would the Immigration have it so prominently displayed if they will not inforce it.

I think you may of missed it before. It all started in May of last year and has never been approved by a higher authority. I suspect it was never approved because it contradicts the immigration act.

If it is ever approved it would certainly be announced.

• Like 1

In March this year I was more or less forced at Jomtien Immigration to sign a paper with those rules on it!

Didn't want too but had no choice, didn't want / can't to argue with an Immigration Officer that it is not a law yet as I will always lose.....

In March this year I was more or less forced at Jomtien Immigration to sign a paper with those rules on it!

Didn't want too but had no choice, didn't want / can't to argue with an Immigration Officer that it is not a law yet as I will always lose.....

Signing that form is pretty much universal at all immigrations offices when renewing an extension and possibly for other procedures. All it does is ask you to acknowledge that you are aware of the potential penalties for overstaying if the rule is ever enacted.

Given the number of people who blithely overstay, it seems like a reasonable approach to waking people up. And you know if any greater penalties are ever imposed & if there had been no warning, the high-pitched squeal on TV would shatter glass. Ignorance of the law (if it becomes law) is not an excuse for breaking it, but being forewarned makes it even less an excuse and regardless of the penalties, overstaying is illegal.