HELP! Involved in an accident

patyh

For starters if someone is employed, they are entitled to 30 sick days, so no income is lost .

Assuming they have not used up any sick days prior to the accident.
And assuming they are SSO employed.

Again their problem.

No, not correct.

These are damages, and under Thai law the party at fault will have to compensate. Same for rent of alternate transport e.g.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For starters if someone is employed, they are entitled to 30 sick days, so no income is lost .

And assuming they are SSO employed.

Again their problem.

No, not correct.

These are damages, and under Thai law the party at fault will have to compensate. Same for rent of alternate transport e.g.

Which, if I din't recall wrongly, should be done by the insurer?

That would be their problem

Why is it their problem ?

You smash into someone you are liable to make good. If your insurance company is covering good for you but to say it is the persons problem if they do not have enough sick leave owing to cover your liabilities is a pathetic reply.

Plus incorrect.

Invest in a cheap dash cam. I had a Thai driving a Honda Civic pull out of a side street without slowing down, I was driving on a through street. Tore the entire front end assembly off of his car. Funny thing, his turn indicator was still on and he was pointing at it on the ground insisting that I should have stopped and let him cross my lane to turn the other way. The police and the insurance guys showed up. I pointed out my dash cam and they did not even need to see it. His fault. The cop even laughed at him and motioned with his hand from where I came to the direction I was going. That was simpler than your case, sounds like there is no way to determine where your motorbike driver was intending to go. But, pay nothing to the guy, get your insurance to deal with it and do not meet the cops to discuss it further if you can avoid it. They will try and extort you and get a cut from the bike driver.

Invest in a cheap dash cam. I had a Thai driving a Honda Civic pull out of a side street without slowing down, I was driving on a through street. Tore the entire front end assembly off of his car. Funny thing, his turn indicator was still on and he was pointing at it on the ground insisting that I should have stopped and let him cross my lane to turn the other way. The police and the insurance guys showed up. I pointed out my dash cam and they did not even need to see it. His fault. The cop even laughed at him and motioned with his hand from where I came to the direction I was going. That was simpler than your case, sounds like there is no way to determine where your motorbike driver was intending to go. But, pay nothing to the guy, get your insurance to deal with it and do not meet the cops to discuss it further if you can avoid it. They will try and extort you and get a cut from the bike driver.

While my car is being fixed, I'm on the lookout for a new dash cam.

You smash into someone you are liable to make good. If your insurance company is covering good for you but to say it is the persons problem if they do not have enough sick leave owing to cover your liabilities is a pathetic reply.

Show me 1 rule or regulation which supports your point.

Property damage ? Yes

Medical bills? Yes

All the rest ? No

Even more so when no evidence is available to prove loss of non existent income .

As for what is tight morally , that's not what this thread is about

Think of it as insurance. Don't look for the cheapest. Read reviews before you buy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Just a tiny winy bit more the insurer would have point his finger to the motorcycle.

These are hypotheticals...You could argue, what if I had not taken the car that day, or taken a different route.....They wont solve anything in this instance.

I understand your point.. But I'm not sure how much more attention could I paid.

I really dont think you do! (understand my point)

Afraid I am gonna have to be very blunt.... it's your mindset. Don't get behind a vehicle in a foreign country thinking " those bloody thias, we know how they drive". You are in their country. Its almost you are getting behind the wheel of your car with a little (big) chip on your shoulder.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Think of it as insurance. Don't look for the cheapest. Read reviews before you buy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Shall prolly start a new thread about dash cam when all this is over. damn man..

Just a tiny winy bit more the insurer would have point his finger to the motorcycle.

These are hypotheticals...You could argue, what if I had not taken the car that day, or taken a different route.....They wont solve anything in this instance.

I understand your point.. But I'm not sure how much more attention could I paid.

I really dont think you do! (understand my point)

Afraid I am gonna have to be very blunt.... it's your mindset. Don't get behind a vehicle in a foreign country thinking " those bloody thias, we know how they drive". You are in their country. Its almost you are getting behind the wheel of your car with a little (big) chip on your shoulder.

True on that. It's only a potential outcome. Like what if I had drive slower that day, or decide to go somewhere else instead of home or had not leave home at all.

On the second point. I'm Thai. Like as in Thai by my mother. Not born here. Got my citizenship 3 years ago. Driven for 2. No farang look. Just don't get me to write my own name or read my name.

Like I've said throughout this entire thread, I do not deny my responsibility in this accident. It's called an accident because no one wanted it to happen. I would never have wanted him to hit me neither did he in the first place.

What I'm concerned and am seeking opinion in is, what's next. I don't intend to dwell on the entire backstory of how this happened and how this could have been avoided. I just want to move on with my life. Put this all behind.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..

You're not alone in your experience.

There was a young vacationing couple in Phuket a few years back. They had a rented scooter and went out for dinner, where he popped the big Q. On the way back to their hotel, they were rear-ended by a Thai on a scooter. The woman ends up dying. She was a sports newscaster from NZ.

The police arrested the husband, took his passport, threw him in jail for about a week and told him if he didn't come up 35K in dollars he would be in prison for a long time.

When he was able to come up with the video of the Thai running into him, they told him to sign a paper saying he didn't want to press charges.

Imagine the scenario; The love of your young life, whom you just asked to marry, gets killed by a reckless driver, you get thrown in jail and your freedom is threatened, while you are grieving over your loss.

Where's the compassion? Where's the empathy? Where's the Buddhist principles? Where's the moral turpitude? They're not present. Dare I say; 'Thainess' was.

Shall prolly start a new thread about dash cam when all this is over. damn man..

One running here - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/842799-dash-cam-price/ smile.png

I'm onto it!

For info I'm going to get the a118c or b40c as it's also known when it's back in stock here. 2,500 baht. But if you want a more expensive better quality one the other thread provides more.

Plus incorrect.

Why incorrect ?.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..

There was a young vacationing couple in Phuket a few years back. They had a rented scooter and went out for dinner, where he popped the big Q. On the way back to their hotel, they were rear-ended by a Thai on a scooter. The woman ends up dying. She was a sports newscaster from NZ.

The police arrested the husband, took his passport, threw him in jail for about a week and told him if he didn't come up 35K in dollars he would be in prison for a long time.

When he was able to come up with the video of the Thai running into him, they told him to sign a paper saying he didn't want to press charges.

Imagine the scenario; The love of your young life, whom you just asked to marry, gets killed by a reckless driver, you get thrown in jail and your freedom is threatened, while you are grieving over your loss.

Where's the compassion? Where's the empathy? Where's the Buddhist principles? Where's the moral turpitude? They're not present. Dare I say; 'Thainess' was.

You have a link to that story please?

Plus incorrect.

Why incorrect ?.

Because the party at fault will have to pay.

So to avoid a possible misunderstanding here: your statement: "You smash into someone you are liable to make good. If your insurance company is covering good for you but to say it is the persons problem if they do not have enough sick leave owing to cover your liabilities is a pathetic reply." is correct because these are part of the total damages the guilty party is responsible for. Konying's statement "their problem" is incorrect.

The bigger vehicle is always at fault, in thailand. Yep!, sound crazy to foreigners. But I reckon its how Thai people Balance things out.

Promulgating that old myth, eh? Complete nonsense.

In his defense: that used to be the case, but this changed a long time ago already. Still sometimes accidents will be dealt with that way: if a party at fault has no insurance it does happen that the party not at fault but with insurance will take the blame.

Plus incorrect.

Oh do share your imaginary 10+ years of experience in insurance industry .

Also do explain why with so much bravado and knowledge you could not deal with your insurance?

This is part of the damages, so has to be paid for by the party at fault.

What do you mean with 'you could not deal with your insurance' BTW? Does not make sense at all.

When my daughter had her motorbike accident, I was told that the motorbike insurance only pays something like 1000 baht per night spent in hospital and nothing for repairs to the cars or bikes. I find this hard to believe... Can anyone verify this?

I would presume you're talking about the PorOrBor (compulsory) insurance. This is a very limited insurance, medical expenses only.

The couple was from Australia.

Apparently the guy rode recklessly but the guy who rear-ended him was still mostly at fault.

Don't want to get into the specifics as I don't actually know what they are anyway, but most accidents here end up without much trouble - it's mostly those that are uninsured or underinsured that run into problems. The rest of us, in the rare case we have been involved in accidents haven't experienced any major issues whatsoever.

It's been a few years so I misquoted a few of the details. She was from Australia and it happened in Samui, but that doesn't change what happened.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-samui-crash-case-reopened-35153.php

Quite a few things are not clear in that case, so I would be hesitant to draw any conclusions/accusations.

What is really clear though is that this was really sad.

It's been a few years so I misquoted a few of the details. She was from Australia and it happened in Samui, but that doesn't change what happened.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-samui-crash-case-reopened-35153.php

Can't help thinking that the papers wouldn't be interested if he didn't have an Australian girlfriend... he would be banged up now...

The couple was from Australia.

Apparently the guy rode recklessly but the guy who rear-ended him was still mostly at fault.

Don't want to get into the specifics as I don't actually know what they are anyway, but most accidents here end up without much trouble - it's mostly those that are uninsured or underinsured that run into problems. The rest of us, in the rare case we have been involved in accidents haven't experienced any major issues whatsoever.

I watched the video, which I can't find now. From memory, he slowed to make a right turn w/ his signal on. The Thai ran into the back of him just as he started to turn. There was plenty of lane for the Thai to pass him on the left, thereby avoiding a collision.

Update:

The guy handling my insurance just called me. Asking for the details of my "Por Ror Bor" company.

Just wanted the name of the company and that's it. I'm confused. What's next?

ADD:

1st class insurance and "Por Ror Bor" are from different company.

Edited by patyh

first person to call, your insurance agent

last person to call, your insurance agent

..... unless your insurance agent is a certifiable dick, then call the company per se.

note that you should not call the police but if they are around, then let the insurance guy handle it. Generally, if he thinks you should pay the fine, you should. Again, unless you are able to assess he is a dick! facepalm.gif