Thai govt launches new scheme to help children of low-income families

webfact

New scheme to help children of low-income families launched

221-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is introducing a childcare support scheme to financially support low-income families with 400 baht monthly allowance for 12 months to help them support their children starting from next month.

The objective of the scheme is to ensure that all newly-born babies will be taken care by their parents.

Parents with their babies born between October 1, 2015-September 30, 2016 will be qualified for the financial assistance.

Initially the government will allocate 600 million baht to support the scheme for a year.

According to the Ministry of Public Health, the country has about 700,000 – 800,000 infants a year.

The scheme is expected to benefit 135,768 infants in the first year.

Three ministries will take charge of the scheme. They are Ministry of Human Development and Social Security, Ministry of Interior, and Ministry of Public Health.

Qualified family for the 400-baht/month allowance to take care of their infants must earn no more than 3,000 baht a month, and must not be members of either the state social security and the private sector provident fund systems.

Pregnant mothers can register for the monthly allowance beginning October 1 this year until March 31 next year.

Such a scheme is implemented in many foreign countries to ensure that children have equal access to basic public facilities.

The lack of access to basic healthcare and education due to financial barriers has caused many children to lose opportunities to basic health care and social welfare and security.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-scheme-to-help-children-of-low-income-families-launched

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-08

How does someone earn less than 3000 a month? Surely that is waaayyyyy below then minimum wage?

Any "family" earning less than 3000 baht monthly should probably be considered unemployed, however it is highly unlikely they are counted as unemployed.

How does someone earn less than 3000 a month? Surely that is waaayyyyy below then minimum wage?

Any "family" earning less than 3000 baht monthly should probably be considered unemployed, however it is highly unlikely they are counted as unemployed.

In Thailand, its very doubtful the unemployed are counted as unemployed. 100% employment can be easily faked by not having any mechanism to count the people without jobs.

In Thailand, its very doubtful the unemployed are counted as unemployed. 100% employment can be easily faked by not having any mechanism to count the people without jobs.

Thailand (supposedly) has the lowest unemployment rate on earth, although it did not appear to be that way based my personal observations over many years, and many different locations within the country. Perhaps I merely stumbled upon several enclaves of unemployment during my travels.....surely unemployment numbers were not inaccurately reported. Edited by CMguy

Thailand (supposedly) has the lowest unemployment rate on earth, although it did not appear to be that way based my personal observations over many years, and many different locations within the country. Perhaps I merely stumbled upon several enclaves of unemployment during my travels.....surely unemployment numbers were not inaccurately reported.

Hard to believe I know, in this bastion of ethics and integrity. Perhaps you just got lucky.

Logical and sensible policy aimed directly to the poorest families where less than ฿3000/month is very normal. Think of rice and general farm workers where work is only available parts of the year. ฿400 is over 3 days wages for these people and is a good sized chunk of money when you are living on rice and what you catch in the fields. Well done the Junta. Its a pity none of the so called democratic elected political parties previous could not implement policies like this but only what suited their election and populist needs. Only comment would be remove the one year and make forever as a good start to a sound social welfare policy.

400 Baht a month or 13.33 Baht a day!

In order to qualify the "family" must have an income of no more than 3,000 Baht a month or 100 Baht a day!

Hey that's a 13.33% increase in income, thank you oh benevolent ones.

So can a family live on that, much less eat on it? And even if they have a farm in the North? I do not think so.... Wow what an ideal... Pretty pictures from article, but what can I say? So what will the kids eat? Culture gone? Truth here? I pray Thailand can come back to its' roots, but it used to happen.... As of today, I have my doubts.... Been there and done that, hey Thailand show them.....

Thailand, return to your heritage, in saying that we all have to..... Have a great day! I will tell you one thing, there was a faith I was born with, and I still follow it today. Believe or not, growing Thai vegetables, herbs, trees, right here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Guess it somehow makes me proud.... Funny thing? They told me it could never be done..... Thank you God!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

400 Baht a month or 13.33 Baht a day!

In order to qualify the "family" must have an income of no more than 3,000 Baht a month or 100 Baht a day!

Hey that's a 13.33% increase in income, thank you oh benevolent ones.

Yes thank you .

When a family has an income of less than 3000 per month, not only they should not be having kids but should be getting full time job