Acid Reducer

alexth

Just came out of thr bedroom, couldn't sleep all night, terrible burns inside my chest, I can almost feel my stomach burning, I could easily spit fire better than a fairy tale dragon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I often wake up with acid burning me from Acid Reflux during the night, but don't want to take Western medicine on a long term basis. Someone suggested that I eat a slice of fresh apple right before I go to bed and it works for me (although II don'y know why).

I haven't had a big problem even once since I started doing it!

I have similair problem sometimes when eating too much.

In SG I found Actal (chewing tablets) but I have not sen them here.

In Thailand I usually take Eno and it seems to work.

That is if it is stummic acid, dunno about chest acid.

On the other hand I do remember that I had some terrible pain sometimes near solar plexus while breathing. Not really sure where it comes from but doctor told me it was because of hyperventilating.

Alex

Edited by AlexLah

All Actal and Eno do is to neutralise the acid.This only works for a small amount of time.

Best drug on the market IMO is losec (omeprazole)

Omeprazole decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.

Omeprazole is used to treat ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or heartburn), and other conditions involving excessive stomach acid production.

Go to the Pharmacy and ask for "Gelasil".. (gelasin)

They are pink tablets for heartburn... they are FANTASTIC.. nothing else works on me apart from those. Absolute miracle cure for me.

totster :o

I can not find that name in Google for other than gelatin products. Are you sure it is not Gelusil? That is a combo anti-acid drug which contains the same simethicone as Air-X.

Slippery Elm powder which you can get at a GNC type shop will do the trick.

Stop drinking beer or any alcohol if you have this problem and in fact all fizzy drinks, acidic foods, spicy foods.

Pharmeceutic medicines should not be taken on a regular basis as they end up only masking the problem and with long term usage may cause bigger problems.

You may have a hiatal hernia as another poster mentioned. If this is the case doing weights and heavy exercise can exacerbate the condition. There is no real cure for HH because surgical options are often not effective and can worsen the situation.

I have had the problem for a number of years and slippery elm powder is the best long term option....a few capsules before eating or drinking and some before bed are useful.

Edited by Tolley

All Actal and Eno do is to neutralise the acid.This only works for a small amount of time.

Best drug on the market IMO is losec (omeprazole)

Omeprazole decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.

Omeprazole is used to treat ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or heartburn), and other conditions involving excessive stomach acid production.

Ompeprazole is excellent for stomach acid. I take it when I have an acid attack, generally I take one 20mg tablet every day for a week, then it clears up for a long while.

However, beware of 'masking' acid stomach if you are aged 40+. A proper examination should be considered since acid stomach/indigestion and wind are the only early signs of serious stomach disease.

Also; if you self-medicate with omeprazole: beware of generic copies of this drug; they are on sale in many smaller pharmacies. Buy a course of genuine tablets from Boots or a respected pharmacy, perhaps a hospital pharmacy.

Go to the Pharmacy and ask for "Gelasil".. (gelasin)

They are pink tablets for heartburn... they are FANTASTIC.. nothing else works on me apart from those. Absolute miracle cure for me.

totster :o

I can not find that name in Google for other than gelatin products. Are you sure it is not Gelusil? That is a combo anti-acid drug which contains the same simethicone as Air-X.

It's quite probably that one, it's a pink tablet.. I may have got the spelling wrong, I'll check the packaging later.

totster :D

I have used all of the medicines mentioned above. Best I have found though is Prevacid, available at Boots in Thailand for about 1500 Baht for a month's supply. Works great for me.

Prevacid (Lansoprazole) is an excellent proton-pump-inhibitor drug in the same family as omeprazole.

Don't forget if acid stomach is caused my ulcers due to h.pylori infection then an antibiotic should be taken as well as the ant-acid drug.

That is why for persistent stomach acid a doctor should be seen ASAP.

Thank you all for your precious advices, I think I will make a visit to a doctor afterall, the pain is long gone, I've also found a good syrup (Diovol), found it at the pharmacy in Tesco, better make sure and check it out. I am a socially drinker, just a couple of Jack&Cokes on weekends, I never drink beer, and I'm in my mid 20s, hopefully it won't be something serious.