Civilisation(TOT Winet) arrives in the village

edwinchester

TOT are signing up villagers this morning for their Winet service.

A new tower has just been setup, very close to us, about 300 metres with clear line of sight.

As I have been relying on my 3g connection for internet access wifey has gone to sign up as they say 10MB connection for just 690 per month.

I was wondering if anyone else using Winet also uses it successfully for streaming internet tv. I already have a satellite provider that shows what I need but some of the expat iptv packages look pretty good to me.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by edwinchester

We had Winet for a couple of years before fibre arrived.

Worked well, I had no issues streaming ExpatTV.

International latency caused some issues with direct streaming from the UK via VPN but on the whole perfectly usable.

It will be 1,000,000 times better than relying on 3G.

I'm on Winet now and it beats the 3G with a 15dBm Yagi antenna I had before hands down. Like MJCM says, it can slow down when the kids get back from school, but after 8pm it's quite good. Torrents generally come down at full speed and streaming seems to be working quite well in the evening. And let's face it, you just like me, don't really have a choice. biggrin.png

Oh, I should say that on the occasions when the Winet connection has gone down for me, the TOT call center at 1100 have been very good at logging my call and following up. Don't expect much to happen over the weekend from your local TOT technicians thou.

As I've noted in other ToT WiNet (applies to other services too) threads, make friends with your local tech, get his number, give him and his assistant some 'lunch money'.

Then when it goes belly up (and it will) give him a call direct and get first class service :)

Oh, I should say that on the occasions when the Winet connection has gone down for me, the TOT call center at 1100 have been very good at logging my call and following up. Don't expect much to happen over the weekend from your local TOT technicians thou.

Haha. After signing up in the morning and waiting in all day for the promised install.........nobody showed up!

Thanks for the replies though.

Well TOT finished their install about 90 minutes ago and I must admit it's nice to play with fast internet at last. Speed test gives just over 10Mbps within Thailand and between 3.5 and 7Mbps International, between 10 and 20 times the 3g figures I was getting here in the village.

As I've noted in other ToT WiNet (applies to other services too) threads, make friends with your local tech, get his number, give him and his assistant some 'lunch money'.

Then when it goes belly up (and it will) give him a call direct and get first class service smile.png

Have done this , and whenever I have had problems (very seldom) they are with me within the hour !

An example how bad WiNet can be at some times (example from 7pm on a Saturday Evening with download started at 5pm).

I had 32 hours remaining on a 1.5 Gb download wink.png

I wonder if your tower is being serviced with a microwave backhaul with a high contention ratio (amount of shared service bandwidth / number of users).

I don't think every TOT WiNet or AIS AirNet customer experience is like yours, but it could be.

Really depends on how the infrastructure is deployed and configured.

Those WiNet radios are capable of 100/100 Mbps sustained, and in some cases 300/300 Mbps. If linked to a tower serviced my 2Gbps Fiber Optic backhaul then it would be a different experience.

Not all Internet experiences are meant to be pleasant. Like this one.