Bangkok AIRBNB Rentals

bizman

Hello: Has anyone had any recently positive experiences with an AIRBNB long term rental? I stay in bkk every year for 6 months and have always rented a serviced apartment, but thought I would look into the AIRBNB. I would appreciate any information and/or advice you can give me. Thank you very much!

Make sure the places are private and not shared with a personal message prior to reserving anything.

There are many places where people do this as a business or living and rent rooms out of their homes to cover rent and list in the 'private apartment' category.

There also seems to be a lot of fake positive reviews where people's friends will reserve for just a night and put up a glowing review.

I'm in a monthly place now that was listed as private and I ended up sharing with someone who I'm not interested in living with.

If you complain AIRBNB has the money so your referred back to them. Getting your money back can be requested in the first 24hrs, but it's a moderated process and your never sure if you will be reimbursed if you leave. It's also hard to make alternative arrangements that quickly.

That said, some other places have worked out as described. So, it's hit and miss.

Leaning towards shorter term rentals no longer then 2 weeks, so you can move if needed. A month feels too long given the risks so far.

Edited by fey

I have used AIRBNB in Pattaya and Bangkok. I can get it to the exact location or any specific building and prices. Its a fantastic app. I use it for my Rental in the USA and I have used it for myself in Pattaya for guest visiting me, I can get a great price in my building or next door. In Bangkok, I rented in the Hyde on Soi 13, for far less than I would had I stayed next door at the Le Meridian.

It will gain more popularity over time, and it will change how we book hotels as AIRBNB will save you big money, should you choose to stay in Condos and not Hotels.

I visit Thailand a couple of times a year, most of the time I use a serviced apartment, but I have used Airbnb 3 times in Bangkok. All were good experiences, but make sure you read the reviews carefully.

But I would never rent for more than a few days the first time, and if you like it talk to the owner about a longer term.. Cancellation charges for a long term rental can be huge.

Edited by californiabeachboy

Another thing to note is that if you look carefully and multiple listings, you cannot find any negative reviews at all.

They are all positive, over the top comments...

Looking a the place i'm in now, it's just not possible that nobody has mentioned some of the shortcomings.

Reviews are either being faked, or critical ones are being weeded out somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Many tout the convenience of this type of service but hardly a mention of the vulnerability and risks incurred by the customer. And what recourse do you have should things turn out sour? Dealing with hassles/ripoffs with a mega virtual corp like Air BnB -- if they do business like, say, PayPal -- would be like pulling your toenails out.

At least with hotels and guest houses and the like you have some sort of real person to throttle if things go badly.

Tech is not always unquestionably good. A point seemingly lost on anyone under 35.

Without going into specifics, whereabouts is your place? When was the condo built?

Sorry to hear that this one hasn't worked out. I was thinking about Airbnb but now I wonder if I'd be better off in an apartment.

I would think that fixing a blocked toilet would be a routine thing for the owners to handle. Didn't they?

I have only ever rented AirBNB condos, so my knowledge is limited. Seems like monthly AirBNB rentals are reasonable, although I've heard that looking up places in person could save you quite a bit of money.

Perhaps someone else could confirm.