Anyone had shipment from IKEA BKK?

THAIPHUKET

Ikea does ship to Chiang Mai and other places. But you have to go to the store and pick everything yourself. After paying you can walk to the shipping department and they will pack and ship for you. Not overly expensive either.

they wanted 2600 Baht to ship us 2 mattresses, some pillows, etc.

we went out to the street and found a guy who took the stuff to a trucking company for us for 500 Baht, then about 270 Baht to get to C.M. by slow trucking - about 2 weeks. so saved about 1800-1900 Bath.

Ikea does ship to Chiang Mai and other places. But you have to go to the store and pick everything yourself. After paying you can walk to the shipping department and they will pack and ship for you. Not overly expensive either.

Once more reaching out to stig proves to be a useful reach, albeit a bit of a stretch. Anybody looking to decorate a dormitory room for one or two semesters only can benefit from this knowledge

I was just in IKEA BKK ( Mega Bang Na) and can confirm that there is a very good and efficient service in place to deliver to Chiang Mai and other places of course.

If you want to collect it, then outsource delivery to save a few baht, then good luck with that. If you use IKEA to deliver the product remains their responsibilty upto delivery. If you use " a bloke with a van" then as soon as it leaves IKEA premises its your responsibility so loss or damage is yours to pay for!

IKEA (still) don't ship furniture - it's strictly a "pick-it-up-yourself" place - even in this day and age of online sales......

Someone could probably make a small fortune collecting orders and transporting items to people around Thailand.......wink.png

Why did you say that there isn't a delivery mechanism in place when clearly there is

If they haven't changed anything lately then you still have to pick up the items yourself and pay for it.

After paying there is a transport counter to the right if you want it transported. This is handled by another company who have some deal with IKEA.

You still can't order online and have it delivered. You have to go to the store. Agree it would be a good business idea to provide this service.

I had delivered some items to Rayong and had to pay for a whole pickup. Think it was about 7000 Baht but it was a few years ago.

IKEA (still) don't ship furniture - it's strictly a "pick-it-up-yourself" place - even in this day and age of online sales......

Someone could probably make a small fortune collecting orders and transporting items to people around Thailand.......wink.png

Why did you say that there isn't a delivery mechanism in place when clearly there is

Why? Because IKEA don't ship - another company at IKEA does the work (see post 11). And you still have to go to the place and pick out your stuff and then roll it all to where they accept shipments.

That's why!

..........all presuming things haven't changed in the last year or two, of course........

and yes, agree with MEsmith - it's time they opened a store in CM. I'd wanted to buy more than 100K baht of furniture. Would've been great to buy it all at IKEA. Instead, the more local stores got the orders, coz there ain't no IKEA in the north -- and you can't order anything from them .......

In answer to Scooterboy, I have a good friend in CM who has condos and houses to rent, and he goes to BKK, fills the equivalent of a truck with furniture, soft furnishings, all the stuff IKEA sell, and it gets delivered by IKEA to CM in about 2 or 3 days for around 2000 baht. I would say thats excellent service myself !!

Compared to the total efficiency of IKEA, have you tried dealing with the ridiculously laborious and useless INDEX? Even dealing with their CM outlet it takes 45 minutes to order anything and sometimes three weeks to deliver it if its not "in stock"....and apart from the stack it high cheap stuff most of what you see in there in fact is not in stock !! No comparison to the total efficiency of IKEA. Their meatball lunches are good too !!!!!

Good for him - that's a great way to get the stuff you want! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go all the way to BKK, just to pick out some furniture (and hoping it's in stock, of course!) and arranging for it to be transported to the other end of the country - thanks, but no thanks.

Haven't dealt with Index or the other big furniture chain (forget the name, just now) - went once to Index in Pattaya and got followed about all over the store - not a moment's peace to look at anything, undisturbed - awful place (for me, at least). Never bought anything and never went there again..Got most of my recent stuff from Homepro (excellent service) and Global (good service), as well as a truck-load from a small store outside Chiang Mai (wife's choice). rolleyes.gif

Yes, I agree - IKEA's meatball lunches are excellent, I had a few of those back in Scandinavia - now that brings back a few memories! whistling.gif