Party at Pattaya bar then they really turn it up

Ling Kae

The other night I was in a bar in the New Plaza area, I go there quite often but this day there was going to be a party there.

Anyhow, was talking with friends and the place filled up.

8 PM the music starts and it's nice, not too loud farang music and everyone was enjoying it. Talking, eating, drinking and generally having fun.

Then around 9 pm off goes the good singer and on comes this Thai lady singing ISSAN songs. Then they turned up the volume at least 4 times up louder to what it was previously. It was so loud no one could hold a conversation. You just couldn't speak at all to anyone without directly shouting into their ear hole.

The speakers were about 3 meters tall, more suited to a football stadium and not a small bar only 3 meters away. Within 10 minutes 80% of the bar cleared out, nobody wanted to listen to that loud crap. Farangs were holding their hands on their ears showing both the Thai bar owner and the band it was ridiculously loud. Then the farangs checked bin, a couple of farangs were left and a group of Thai ladies, friends of friends. So they lost a heap of customers.

My question is why does it have to be so loud? And don't they give a damn that 90 % of the paying farangs vacated the place. Thais really have no sense of keeping customers, they just don't care. Why this attitude?

My lady and my friend hated it so much that we went to a bar/restaurant around the corner with no music at all and really enjoyed ourselves for the rest of the night. I am not a party pooper I just hate ear piercing loud and I mean LOUD music, I'm talking 4 times louder than a Go Go Club.

They are from Issan and are brought up with load music and speakers, I have lived on and off in issan for over 7 years and every time there is a death wedding or any kind of party the get to blasters get wheeled out and the party and singing begins.

Edited by nev

Visit Jomtien complex and you'll notice this occurs about once or twice a week as there's always one that has a birthday party, most of the Isaan people love it, and even worse, not just one singer as everyone from the bar likes to sing a song, I'm used to it and just move a few bars when it starts.

Visit Jomtien complex and you'll notice this occurs about once or twice a week as there's always one that has a birthday party, most of the Isaan people love it, and even worse, not just one singer as everyone from the bar likes to sing a song, I'm used to it and just move a few bars when it starts.

Yes that's what we all do, just change bars. Funny thing my partner is an Issan person too but it is too loud for her too. Just can't talk, hurts her ears as well.

Yes that's what we all do, just change bars. Funny thing my partner is an Issan person too but it is too loud for her too. Just can't talk, hurts her ears as well.

As for keeping customers, caring, attitude, you're way too harsh, they have a special occasion so give them the pleasure and just return the next day/week or however often you go.

My hearing isn't fantastic.Refueling planes during the Vietnam War at Udon.Whenever I hear loud noises of any kind I get away

From it.I'm trying to preserve what hearing I have left.Don't know why anyone would want to listen to music where it hurts your ears.

As for keeping customers, caring, attitude, you're way too harsh, they have a special occasion so give them the pleasure and just return the next day/week or however often you go.

Yes I agree with you but this party was for a farang and his wife. He and his friend were the only ones left apart from the lady friends of friends. I guess he didn't ask exactly what sort of music and how loud they were going to play it when he booked the party. Where have all those great Filipino bands and singers gone?

I'm convinced that 90% of the population are either deaf or wish they were and are doing their best to get that way (hence all the loud stuff).

Last time I was in Issan, there was a funeral next door. They had speakers about the same size as when I saw the Rolling Stones in Tampa Stadium.

For 3 DAYS it BLARED from 0500 to about midnight. It was the wife's family or I would have left.

It had no sooner ended than a wedding kicked off. They just moved the speakers about 100 meters away, which was only marginally better.

Now when she says she wants to go to Issan, I say toodaloo!

Have fun!

See ya when you get back.

It was obviously a party for the Isaan friends, family and customers of the bar owner. There are sometimes more important things in life than the falang baht to a Thai. Happens frequently in Pats.

Move on, as you did, and don't hold a grudge. The bar boss did not lose a fortune as drinkers in those NewPlaza bars deliver a very fine margin on beer! (nice way of putting that its a cheap charlie and balloon chaser area - and I don't say that pejoratively to those who like their beer cheap and free food.

Live and let live.