Need accomodation recommendations for Chiang Mai, Sept 28-Oct28

B0nkers

I'm flying over this Sunday and will land in Chiang Mai on the 28th. I've heard of and contacted one hotel (opium) that charges about 13k Baht for a month. Have been looking on many websites and don't know who to contact or trust.

Looking for other options before booking. Any recommendations?

Absolutely need high quality, fast, stable internet for online work. Gym is a must as well. Location - walking distance to grocery shopping is important, walking distance to other things would be nice but not as essential.

I like the sound of the Opium hotel because they all speak English and have been very helpful through email. They also don't ask for any deposits etc, so the 13k Baht is all you pay aside from electricity and water.. which I guess is calculated at the end of the month?

Also, they say they charge 8Baht per unit. What's that translate into actual $$ with a small fridge, tv, laptop, and air conditioning going 24/7?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Overcharging for electricity is a common scam. Some places probably earn more from that than they do from the rent!

If your aircon unit is old and you run it 24/7 your bill at 8B/unit could easily be 5000B or even higher. For comparison, my bill for my whole spacious condo with a modern inverter aircon at the official government rate of just over 4B/unit is now always below 2000B but prior to changing the aircon unit it was commonly 4000+B.

Maybe you should ask in the Chiang Mai forum for more local information?

I've had a few friends who have stayed at the Opium over the last few months, they seemed pretty happy.

At least one of them is planning to stay there on the next trip. So it would seem to be pretty good.

8 Bt per unit is pretty standard for apartments (short term) I think.

I stayed at the Opium about a year ago - nice place, clean, very helpful front staff.

As far as grocery, there is a Tops market about a 15 minute walk away. But if you stay there you should check out the Tanin fresh market, about a 5 minute walk away - great Thai fresh groceries, and you can also get cooked food that is good and cheap. A real Thai experience.

As for the gym - not much. Just a few machines, a couple of which didn't work very well. About a 20 minute walk away there is a decent gym (Thailand Fitness?) which has a lot more equipment as well as classes.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I wound up staying in the opium for a month. It;s good in that they staff are there to help with strong English. Everything you could ever want is close, and they do not charge a deposit.

A couple blocks towards the old city is a place called (something) Mansion. It's another hotel, cheaper and the quality if far above and beyond what the Opium has to offer. It's nice. Opium deluxe room = 13,500 baht in the building they just aquired across the parking lot. Nice balcony with chairs and over hanging trees. Cement floors though, so it feel kinda unfinished and cheap. Bugs biting me like mad too.. I dunno if those are beg bugs, or just Thailand in general. 200 baht for water, 200 baht if you want breakfat for a month... but I don't htink it's worth it. 8b per unit electric.

The Mansion is 12,000 baht for a similar room, but much nicer with a divided sitting and sleeping area. Studio, not a bedroom. Just a 1/2 wall. Electric is 6b per unit. Small balcony. Gym has less gear, but is indoors and air conditioned. I'm not crazy about working out at the Opium gym in the heat. Masion asks for 12,000 baht deposit.

There are several apartments in the area for 5500 baht if you take 6 months or 7200 (I think) per month, with a 15,000 baht deposit. I'd rather stay in the hotels though for convenience and familiarity.

Moral of the story, the Opium is a good place if you don't have a clue what you are doing and will pick you up from the airport with a big sign that says your name as you walk out the international gate. Bonus points for no deposit as well, so if your cash flow is a concern it's a good and safe deal. However, if you can afford the 12k deposit at teh Mansion, I'd recommened andyone to book there first!

Overcharging for electricity is a common scam. Some places probably earn more from that than they do from the rent!

If your aircon unit is old and you run it 24/7 your bill at 8B/unit could easily be 5000B or even higher. For comparison, my bill for my whole spacious condo with a modern inverter aircon at the official government rate of just over 4B/unit is now always below 2000B but prior to changing the aircon unit it was commonly 4000+B.

Maybe you should ask in the Chiang Mai forum for more local information?

Yes i got caught after reading the Electricity Meter as soon a arrived then a week later

Wow what a shock

As Condo had OLD A/C unit Sucks up the Electricity

So use spareingly

At the moment have my Hatarii Fan with windows open

Sucking in the Cool Air with Fly Screen shut

At least it was only 1 week expensive

So monthly Bill should be much lower, if i had not checked