More "m" (media/journalist) Visa Questions

I'm thinking of applying for a non-imm "m" visa. I have found a sponsor and have got all my documents in order, but have heard that holders of a this type of visa are denied entry to some of the more "paranoid" countries in the region, i.e. Laos, Myanmar and even China. Does anybody have any firsthand experience of this? If it is true, I'll definately have to reconsider applying for this kind of visa, as I definately plan to visit these countries for work. I'm definately not involved in politics (I write and photograph on exclusively food and travel-related issues), but assume that in the eyes of these countries I'm still a potentially evil journalist!

Is there perhaps a way to get the "m" visa stamped on a removable piece of paper? Any other practical solution?

Any insight is appreciated.

you may well end up on a watch list in china, if they notice it. they do allow journalists etc in china last i heard it hasn't gotten all that restrictive--unless you're a chinese journalist, which is a hard life.

almost certainly it would be no problem, but if your'e worried about it then you can most likely get (perfectly legally) a second passport. many people who have to visit both israel and other middle eastern countries do this, as many countries will exclude you if you have an israel stamp on your passport. i believe that even malaysia exclude you.

Thanks for your replies.

RockhardBKK: I've spoken to a couple "m" holders since posting this and it appears that you're right, although I'm still a bit worried as to where these rumours come from!

And the extra passport idea is good too, just in case. Wonder if Americans can do this? I'll call the embassy tomorrow if I get a chance.

Cheers