What's it like to be black in Japan?

Jonathan Fairfield

What's it like to be black in Japan?

"Japan really loves black people."

That's one quote that sums up a viral video of black people talking frankly about their life in a country that is stereotypically depicted as being frosty to outsiders.

The 80-minute documentary Black in Japan, along with a shorter version, have collectively been clicked on about 200,000 times on YouTube.

The video features eight black people, mostly African-Americans, who work at a variety of jobs in Japan, and have been in the country for varied lengths of time.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-19

I have to admit, when I lived in Japan years ago, there was a subculture of really hot Japanese girls who were totally into black guys. And I mean these were smoking hot Japanese girls, unlike the lo-so bargirls in Thailand who are into foreigners. I was jealous.

An Ariana Miyamoto would N-E-V-E-R happen in Thailand. That in and of itself speaks volumes about Japanese (and Thai) people.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariana_Miyamoto

Unfortunately, I was not in the company of Thais (since Thai men hold Japanese women above all others) when Ariana was crowned Miss Universe Japan. I would have paid to see their heads explode! lol

26EB9EBC00000578-3021032-image-m-10_1427

I have to admit, when I lived in Japan years ago, there was a subculture of really hot Japanese girls who were totally into black guys. And I mean these were smoking hot Japanese girls, unlike the lo-so bargirls in Thailand who are into foreigners. I was jealous.

They Love Hip Hop...

The same goes on here in Thailand, too. Smoking hot Thai women who prefer (usually AMERICAN) Black guys. I personally know of several professional (non-BG) who really want to get with American Black guys. Especially those who personally know of other Thai women who have married American Black men.

It is not a phenomenon. It's simple, uncomplicated personal preferences. What is laughable is when people (and we all know who those are) think it is unusual.

The same goes on here in Thailand, too. Smoking hot Thai women who prefer (usually AMERICAN) Black guys. I personally know of several professional (non-BG) who really want to get with American Black guys. Especially those who personally know of other Thai women who have married American Black men.

It is not a phenomenon. It's simple, uncomplicated personal preferences. What is laughable is when people (and we all know who those are) think it is unusual.

You basically described many European countries too. Many are drawn to African-Americans.

You basically described many European countries too. Many are drawn to African-Americans.

I think its more to do with the promotion of race mixing in the celebrity media that so obsesses the youth of today...ie its cool to have a black b/f

Kim Kardashian married Kanye West

Khloé Kardashian married Lamar Odom

CoCo Austin and Ice T

Elin Nordegren was married to Tiger Woods

I think its more to do with the promotion of race mixing in the celebrity media that so obsesses the youth of today...ie its cool to have a black b/f

Kim Kardashian married Kanye West

Khloé Kardashian married Lamar Odom

CoCo Austin and Ice T

Elin Nordegren was married to Tiger Woods

True. Also, seems like there are many of these "What's it like to be black in (Japan, Germany, Sweden, Korea, Argentina, etc)?". Waiting for the "What's it like to be white/yellow in (Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, etc)?".