Automatic choke in Thai.

ClareQuilty

เครื่องปิดอากาศอัตโนมัติ which literally means automatic device to close air intake

Thank you so much raffo77!

I'm having a thermostat installed in my old Honda Civic, and asking the mechanic to check to see if the currently non-functional automatic choke can be cheaply fixed or replaced. I'm not using my usual English speaking mechanic.

The last vehicle I had that had a carburetor had recurrent automatic choke problems. I finally took it to a highly recommended Thai shop and asked the guy if he could fix it properly. He grinned and went into his storage room and returned with a cable with a knob on it. After it was converted to a manual choke, it worked great. Pull the knob out on the first crank and it started immediately. Push the knob almost all the way back in and the engine was on fast idle. When the engine smoothed out, you could push it the rest of the way in. I didn't need to use the choke all the time but the partially out fast idle position was very handy.

CQ,

In Thailand i doubt the thing has ever worked as it is not cold enough?

Oh, its nearly always cold enough for the auto choke to work. It worked the first couple of months I owned the car, and whenever I started the car late night or early morning, it started right up and had a high idle for a short while, till the engine warmed up. The same guy who removed the thermostat told me I 'didn't need the choke' when it went bad a week or so after he did a head gasket repair on the car.

Pretty soon its going to get down to around 15 degrees at night here in Isaan, so a choke and a thermostat will be a huge plus I think.